Accelerating wedge with a block at rest on it

In summary: This is because you have not mentioned friction between the block and the wedge. Without friction, the block would only be able to move up or down the wedge depending on the magnitude of the force applied.
haruspex said:
Yes, but what is missing is that there is no friction between block and wedge.

jbriggs444 said:
That says that the ground beneath the block is frictionless but says nothing about the wedge/block interface.
In retrospect, I agree that the problem is silent on whether there is friction between the block and wedge.
jbriggs444 said:
If it were a complete problem, context could make interpretation easier.
So, since the problem is poorly stated, it seems to me that the only recourse for the OP is to contact the instructor. The instructor could then either throw out the problem entirely or provide additional an assumption on whether there is friction between the block and wedge.

If this is a problem that was made up by the instructor, it's not the first time in history that a poorly conceived problem was given.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mark44 said:
If this is a problem that was made up by the instructor, it's not the first time in history that a poorly conceived problem was given.
Sure, but the OP could have solved the issue in advance, if he understood the dangers of being OK with poor problem statements, by including something along the lines of "the problem statement is incomplete in that it does not specify any coefficient of friction between the block and the wedge, so I am going to assume that it is zero and solve the problem under that assumption."

phinds said:
Sure, but the OP could have solved the issue in advance
Or maybe not. It takes a lot of experience and confidence to recognize that just because something is written down on paper, it's not necessarily the gospel truth, and could contain errors or lack necessary information. I don't think we should blame @rudransh verma here for not recognizing that the problem was incomplete.

Likes Delta2
phinds said:
##\dots~##so I am going to assume that it is zero and solve the problem under that assumption."
One can do better than that. One can examine all the possible cases and come up with answers.
  1. The block is glued with gorilla glue on the wedge. In this case the coefficient of static friction is infinite and the block will not slide relative to the wedge for any P.
  2. The coefficient of static friction between the block and the wedge is finite. In this case there is a range of forces P with an upper limit. Furthermore, if the angle of the incline is greater than the angle of repose, then there is a lower limit to the pushing force in addition to the upper limit.
  3. There is no friction between the block and the wedge. In this case the pushing force is single-valued.

Likes Delta2
Mark44 said:
Or maybe not. It takes a lot of experience and confidence to recognize that just because something is written down on paper, it's not necessarily the gospel truth, and could contain errors or lack necessary information. I don't think we should blame @rudransh verma here for not recognizing that the problem was incomplete.
Actually, I agree, BUT ... when I pointed out to him that it was incomplete he argued that it didn't matter. I don't find that acceptable.

phinds said:
Actually, I agree, BUT ... when I pointed out to him that it was incomplete he argued that it didn't matter. I don't find that acceptable.
I agree. I listed all the possibilities hoping that this summary will end the discussion before the mentors close the thread.

Likes phinds
kuruman said:
I agree. I listed all the possibilities hoping that this summary will end the discussion before the mentors close the thread.
Ha. These Rudransh Verma threads never seem to end, we just keep rehashing the same stuff over and over. :smile:

Likes kuruman
Hm ... I see he's lined out again. I wonder is this yet another 10 day or is it permanent this time?

phinds said:
Ha. These Rudransh Verma threads never seem to end, we just keep rehashing the same stuff over and over. :smile:
Yup. I intended post #41 to be a gentle hint to the mentors.