Modern Definition of Time & Length Units

In summary, the modern definition of the time unit is based on the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation of a caesium-133 atom at rest at 0K, while the length unit is defined as 1/299,792,458 of a light-second. The actual realization of these units varies from person to person and can be measured differently. It is unclear what is being asked in part (b).
LeoYard
a) What is the modern definition of the time unit and the length unit?

b) How people actually Materially realize these units ?

(a) in the wiki, it reads:

Second:
Under the International System of Units, the second is currently defined as the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium-133 atom.[1] This definition refers to a caesium atom at rest at a temperature of 0 K (absolute zero). The ground state is defined at zero magnetic field.

Meter: Today, it is defined as 1⁄299 792 458 of a light-second.

Would anybody like to answer question (b) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think in question b you are asking how you, I, or anyone else measures time or length. How we individually realize these units varies from person to person. I can look at a person and say oh, he is 6 feet tall. He is not actually exactly 6 feet tall, but i think he is around that height. I hope that answers your question.

Wiki has it correct for part (a).

I'm not quite sure what you are asking in part (b).

perhaps the OP is wondering how we actually physically implement a meter, or a second.

Related to Modern Definition of Time & Length Units

1) What is the modern definition of time units?

The modern definition of time units is based on the concept of atomic clocks, which measure time based on the oscillation of atoms. This definition is more precise and stable than previous definitions based on astronomical observations.

2) How is the second defined in the modern definition of time units?

In the modern definition, the second is defined as the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the cesium-133 atom.

3) What is the significance of the speed of light in defining length units?

The speed of light is used as a fundamental constant in defining length units because it is a universal and invariant quantity that can be measured accurately. This allows for a consistent and standard unit of length to be used in any part of the universe.

4) How are length units related to time units in the modern definition?

The modern definition of length units is based on the speed of light and the second. The speed of light is used to define the meter as the distance light travels in a vacuum in 1/299,792,458 of a second. This means that length and time are intrinsically linked in the modern definition of units.

5) What are some common modern units of time and length?

Some common modern units of time include the second, minute, hour, day, week, month, and year. Some common modern units of length include the meter, kilometer, centimeter, millimeter, and nanometer.