Discrete definitions of Physics Standard Units

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a second, which is not based on the speed of light but on the frequency of radiation from a specific caesium atom. The numbers used in this definition, such as 9,192,631,770 ticks per second and 1/86400 day length, are not precise due to the Earth's dynamic changes. The definition of a second is also compared to the definition of a meter, which is based on the distance light travels in a certain amount of time. The conversation also mentions the definition of a kilogram as the mass of 1 litre of water at a specific temperature and pressure. There is a suggestion for a different method of defining length and a question about the arbitrariness
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,
Perhaps it's not a question, just a light discussion.
Orodruin said:
No. The definition of a second is not based on the speed of light.
The definition of a second is defined using the frequency of the radiation from a particular caesium atom.
Time
From this, we get the standard time
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesium_standard, it's 9,192,631,770 ticks per second.
I think this number should be discreet. No need to tune it to some figures after decimal point.
Is this right? Although it wouldn't match 1/86400 day length. But, then again, for a very big body like Earth with all its dynamic changes (weather, ocean, tectonic movement) it can't be too precise.

Length
And from time, we get the standard length:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_light
Which is 9,192,631,770 / 299,792,458. And I think 299,792,458 is not discreet. Is this true? This is the law of nature, right?Or..., as in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rømer's_determination_of_the_speed_of_light
We arbitrarily set the speed of light: 299,792,458 meter per second, (whatever "meters" means) and we define that length that time travels when Ca 133 ticks 299,792,458 (discreet?) times and call it 299,792,458 meters (discreet?)

Mass
In junior high, we were taught that 1 kg is the mass of 1 litre (length already defined) water in 3.980C. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Properties_of_water#Density_of_water_and_ice. But there is 1 catch. It's 3.980C in 1 bar atmospheric pressure. But we define pressure in N/m2. And 1 Newton is the force to accelerate 1 kg for 1 meter per second per second. And we meet mass (KG) again :headbang:.
So since Avogadro had set that 1 mole is 6.022140857(74)×1023 . So can we safely say that 1 gram is the mass of 6.022140857(74)×1023 hydrogen atoms? (Without deuterium/tritium isotop impurity?)
And I think the rest, energy, calorie, volt, etc are derived from this standard unit.

Perhaps my questions are not physical, but rather historical.
Are these numbers:
9,192,631,770, time
299,792,458, length
6.022140857(74)×1023 , mass
discreet?
Just curious to know :smile:.
Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
Stephanus said:
Dear PF Forum,
Perhaps it's not a question, just a light discussion.
Time
From this, we get the standard time
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesium_standard, it's 9,192,631,770 ticks per second.
I think this number should be discreet. No need to tune it to some figures after decimal point.
Is this right? Although it wouldn't match 1/86400 day length. But, then again, for a very big body like Earth with all its dynamic changes (weather, ocean, tectonic movement) it can't be too precise.

It can't be too precise? For whom?

Your GPS had to take into account even the minute time dilation effects to keep its precision. How big of an error do you think you'll end up with if the time clock on your GPS is rounded off to the nearest second? Would you like to fly on an airplane with that kind of an error, especially when it is estimating where the ground is during landing?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
It can't be too precise? For whom?

Your GPS had to take into account even the minute time dilation effects to keep its precision. How big of an error do you think you'll end up with if the time clock on your GPS is rounded off to the nearest second? Would you like to fly on an airplane with that kind of an error, especially when it is estimating where the ground is during landing?

Zz.
I mean Caesium clock is very, very precise, but it's the Earth rotation that can't be too precise. It's a very big body. But I do believe that GPS is accurate. Or..., the Earth rotation is very precise?

Stephanus said:
Is this right?
No. The 9192631770 oscillations per second is a definition. Just like the definition of the meter in terms of a standard stick is obsolete, so is the definition of the second as a fraction of a day.

Stephanus said:
And I think 299,792,458 is not discreet.
What do you mean by discrete? It is a single value and it is a definition.

Stephanus said:
In junior high, we were taught that 1 kg is the mass of 1 litre (length already defined) water in 3.980C.
This is not the definition of the kilogram. It is a property of water.

Thanks @Orodruin for your answer.
First of all, English is not my first language. Perhaps I can't express myself clearly.
I'll try the other way.
Orodruin said:
No. The 9192631770 oscillations per second is a definition. Just like the definition of the meter in terms of a standard stick is obsolete, so is the definition of the second as a fraction of a day.
So we arbitrarily define 1 second is 9192631770 oscillations of Ca 133, which is almost close to 1/86400 the length of day?
Orodruin said:
What do you mean by discrete? It is a single value and it is a definition.
I mean Discrete is Integer.
Take hydrogen frequency (as I saw in Contact movie) for example.
Hydrogen frequency is: 1,420,405,751.78 Hz
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_line
After we define the length of 1 second is 9192631770 Hz (integer) of Ca 133, then it's very rarely in nature that Hydrogen frequency coincidently has an integer value for 1 second. So I mean, perhaps we arbitrarily define 1 second is 9192631770 (integer value) Hz of Ca 133 frequency and the other elements frequency follows this standard.

Orodruin said:
This is not the definition of the kilogram. It is a property of water.
Yes, it is. But I think long ago, people had to define kilogram, and they used this property of water.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...curate-definition-following-breakthrough.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilogram#Definition

I know that PF Forum Guidelines strongly against personal theories. But if I may indulge myself...
Supposed we have already had the standard for time definiton 9,192,631,770 Hz of Ca 133.
How do we define length? I think we can define it by the distance the light takes when Ca 133 has ticked 9,192,631,770 times.
Because we haven't had the accurate definition of length, right?
And we have metres (1/40000 the circular of latitude lines of Earth across Paris). And perhaps now we arbitrarily (?) define 1 metres is 1/299,792,458 (integer number?) the distance the light takes when Ca 133 has ticked 9,192,631,770 (integer number) times. Which is almost close to the definition of 1/40000 the latitude of earth?
Thanks for your respond.

Stephanus said:
Yes, it is
No, it is not. The kilogram is currently defined by the IPK artefact, nothing else. It is likely this definition will be changed to one involving only natural constants in the future but this is the current definition.

Stephanus said:
I mean Discrete is Integer
Then say integer. Discrete is something else.

Stephanus said:
How do we define length? I think we can define it by the distance the light takes when Ca 133 has ticked 9,192,631,770 times.
Because we haven't had the accurate definition of length, right?
This is the definition of the length unit. One meter is the distance that light travels in 1/299 792 458 seconds by definition.
Stephanus said:
And we have metres (1/40000 the circular of latitude lines of Earth across Paris).
again, this is not how the meter is defined today.

Likes Stephanus

1. What are the basic units used in physics?

The basic units used in physics are length, mass, time, temperature, and electric current. These are known as the International System of Units (SI) and are used as the standard for measuring physical quantities.

2. What is the definition of a standard unit?

A standard unit is a universally recognized and accepted unit of measurement for a specific physical quantity. It serves as a reference point for all other measurements of that quantity.

3. How are standard units determined?

Standard units are determined through a process called metrology, which involves defining and refining the units based on fundamental physical constants and reproducible experiments.

4. Why are standard units important in physics?

Standard units are important in physics because they allow for consistency and accuracy in measurements, which are crucial for conducting experiments and making accurate calculations.

5. Are standard units the same for all countries?

Yes, standard units are the same for all countries. The International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM) ensures that the SI units are consistent and universally accepted by all countries for the sake of international communication and collaboration in scientific research.