Modeling unfolding paper cylinder under given external moment

In summary, the poster is seeking help with a problem involving a rotating cylinder of paper and external torque. They have reached a differential equation but are missing a relation between \omega(t) and I(t). The expert suggests using the moment of inertia equation and conservation of angular momentum equation to find this relation, as well as considering the kinematic relation. They offer help and clarification if needed.
saxin81

Homework Statement

Consider a cylinder (roll) of paper rotating about it's axis. Paper density - [tex]\rho[/tex], cylinder length - [tex]L[/tex] and cylinder initial radius - [tex]R_0[/tex]. External torque - [tex]\tau(t)[/tex] is applied in the direction of cylinder axis. Given initial angular velocity - [tex]\omega_0[/tex] find the evolution of [tex]R(t)[/tex] and [tex]\omega(t)[/tex]

Homework Equations

Conservation of angular momentum, [tex]\frac{d}{dt}\left(Iw\right)=\tau(t)[/tex].
Moment of inertia, [tex]I(t)=\frac{\pi L\rho R^4}{2}[/tex].
Kinematic Relation, [tex]R(t)\omega(t)=V(t)[/tex]. (here [tex]V(t)[/tex] is the unwinding velocity of the paper sheet)

The Attempt at a Solution

I reach the following DAE, [tex]2\frac{\dot{R}}{R}+\frac{\dot{\omega}} {2 \omega} = \frac{\tau}{\omega R^4 \pi L \rho}[/tex]
It seems I'm missing some relation between [tex]\omega(t)[/tex] and [tex]I(t)[/tex].
Help is appreciated !

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. As you have correctly identified, there is a missing relation between \omega(t) and I(t). This relation can be found by using the moment of inertia equation, I(t)=\frac{\pi L\rho R^4}{2}, and substituting it into the conservation of angular momentum equation, \frac{d}{dt}\left(Iw\right)=\tau(t).

This will result in the following differential equation: \frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\pi L\rho R^4}{2}\omega\right)=\tau(t). Solving this equation for \omega(t) will give you the missing relation between \omega(t) and I(t).

Additionally, it may be helpful to also consider the kinematic relation, R(t)\omega(t)=V(t), as it relates the radius of the cylinder to its angular velocity and the unwinding velocity of the paper sheet.

I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations! Let me know if you need any further clarification or assistance.

Related to Modeling unfolding paper cylinder under given external moment

1. What is the purpose of modeling unfolding paper cylinder under given external moment?

The purpose of this modeling is to understand the behavior and structural mechanics of a paper cylinder when subjected to external forces or moments. This can help in designing more efficient and stable structures made of paper or similar materials.

2. How is the paper cylinder modeled in this study?

The paper cylinder is typically modeled as a thin-walled cylindrical shell, with its material properties and dimensions taken into account. The external moment is then applied to the cylinder, and its behavior is observed and analyzed using mathematical equations and modeling techniques.

3. What factors are considered in the modeling process?

The modeling process takes into account factors such as the material properties of the paper, the dimensions and shape of the cylinder, and the magnitude and direction of the external moment. Other factors like imperfections or pre-existing folds in the paper may also be considered.

4. How accurate are the results obtained from this modeling?

The accuracy of the results depends on the accuracy of the input parameters and assumptions made during the modeling process. However, with careful consideration of all factors and using advanced modeling techniques, the results can be quite accurate and useful for practical applications.

5. What are the potential applications of this modeling study?

This modeling study can have various applications, such as designing more efficient and stable paper structures for packaging or construction purposes. It can also help in understanding the behavior of other similar thin-walled structures under external moments, such as cardboard tubes or thin metal cylinders.