Michelson interferometer average power derivation

In summary, the trig product identity cosαcosβ=\frac{1}{2}[cos(α+β)+cos(α-β)] can be used to show that the time-average power at the detector, given by Pavg = 1+cos(δ), can be derived by integrating over one period (0 to 2pi/w) and dividing by the length of the period. This is done by first squaring Etot and then factoring out E02, resulting in a long expression with multiple cosine terms. By integrating over one period and dividing by the length of the period, the final expression of 1+cos(δ) is obtained.
leroyjenkens

Homework Statement

Using the trig product identity, [itex]cosαcosβ=\frac{1}{2}[cos(α+β)+cos(α-β)][/itex], show that the time-average power at the detector can be written as Pavg = 1+cos(δ)

That = is supposed to be a proportional symbol.

Homework Equations

Other than the ones given in the problem statement, there are a few:

E1=E0cos(wt)
E2=E0cos(wt+δ)

[tex]δ=\frac{2∏(2x)}{λ}[/tex]
Etot=E1+E2

P = Etot2

That last = is supposed to be a proportional symbol.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I started off by trying to square Etot, which gives me a long expression:
E02cos2(wt)+E02[cos(2wt+δ)+cos(δ)]+E02cos2(wt+δ)

I'm not sure I did that right. I used the trig product rule.

From here, I can factor out an E02, but I still have a bunch of cosine terms that I don't know what to do with. How in the world could I turn those into 1+cos(δ)?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want average power, so don't you need to integrate wrt t over one cycle?

haruspex said:
You want average power, so don't you need to integrate wrt t over one cycle?

I don't know. Actually, the question is asking to derive the relationship Pavg= cos(δ)

So to derive that expression, I need to integrate? Do I integrate Etot2?

Thanks

Anyone with any idea how to do this?

leroyjenkens said:
I don't know. Actually, the question is asking to derive the relationship Pavg= cos(δ)

So to derive that expression, I need to integrate? Do I integrate Etot2?

Thanks
Yes, I think it gives the desired answer. Integrate over one period (0 to 2pi/w) and divide by the length of the period.

Related to Michelson interferometer average power derivation

1. What is a Michelson interferometer?

A Michelson interferometer is a scientific instrument used to measure the wavelength of light and the refractive index of a medium. It works by splitting a beam of light into two paths, then recombining them to produce an interference pattern that can be measured.

2. How does a Michelson interferometer work?

The Michelson interferometer works by using a beam splitter to split a beam of light into two equal parts. One part travels along a fixed path, while the other travels along a movable path. The two beams are then recombined at the detector, producing an interference pattern that can be analyzed to determine properties of the light and the medium it traveled through.

3. What is the average power derivation in a Michelson interferometer?

The average power derivation in a Michelson interferometer refers to the mathematical calculation used to determine the average power of the light beam based on the interference pattern produced. It takes into account factors such as the intensity and the phase difference between the two beams.

4. Why is the average power derivation important in a Michelson interferometer?

The average power derivation is important in a Michelson interferometer because it allows for a more accurate measurement of the properties of the light and the medium. By calculating the average power, scientists can account for any variations in the intensity of the light beam, leading to more precise results.

5. How is the average power derivation calculated in a Michelson interferometer?

The average power derivation in a Michelson interferometer is calculated by taking the square of the amplitude of the interference pattern and dividing it by the sum of the squares of the amplitudes of both beams. This calculation takes into account the intensity and the phase difference between the two beams, resulting in an accurate measurement of the average power.