Method for determining error in an equation

In summary, the range of values V_out can be estimated by determining the derivatives of V_out with respect to R3 and R4 and using the uncertainty in those derivatives to determine the tolerances for V_out.
WK95

Homework Statement

Ok, so suppose I have an equation like V_out = 0.5(1 + R4/R3)(V1+V2) and I know the R3 and R4 has a tolerance of +-5%. For such an equation and similar ones, how would I estimate the possible range of values V_out? For example, I'd like to find out something like V_out_theoretical * 96% < V_out < V_out_theoretical * 104% or rather, I want to figure out the "tolerance" (no, I don't think that's the proper word) for V_out based on the known tolerances of R3 and R4.

Sorry, I don't know the proper terminology for this sort of stuff.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
First are You assuming V1 and V2 are known exactly? Secondly do You know how to take derivatives?

You can assume that V1 and V2 are fixed. And yes, I can take derivatives.

the commonly accepted way to determine the uncertainty for V_out is to determine the derivatives of V_out with respect to R3 and R4 to determine the changes in V_out wrt R3 with R4 held fixed and wrt R4 with R3 held fixed. Using dR3 and dR4 as the uncertainty in this case the tolerances substitute into the following equation.

[tex]dV_{out} = \sqrt{\sum_{i=3}^{4} \left \lfloor \frac{\partial V_{out}}{\partial R_{i}}dR_{i}\right\rfloor^{2}}[/tex]

the two terms in the square root represent the change in V_out due to a change in R3 and R4.

For a more detailed explanation see "Data Reduction and Error Analysis for the Physical Sciences" by Bevington and Robinson
https://books.google.com/books/abou...s_for_th.html?id=0poQAQAAIAAJ&source=kp_cover

So partial derivatives? Finally! I get to use Calculus III stuff!

So if R3 and R4 is 10000 Ohms, and V1 is 1.8 and V2 is 3.3, I get 12.8%. Have I done things correctly?

I think you are off by a factor of √2 can you find where you missed it?

Related to Method for determining error in an equation

What is the purpose of determining error in an equation?

The purpose of determining error in an equation is to quantify the amount of uncertainty or deviation from the expected or true value. This can help in evaluating the accuracy and reliability of the equation and the data used in it.

What factors can contribute to error in an equation?

There are several factors that can contribute to error in an equation, such as measurement errors, experimental errors, and errors in data collection or input. Inaccurate assumptions or simplifications in the equation can also lead to error.

How is error calculated in an equation?

Error in an equation is typically calculated by comparing the actual or known value with the predicted or calculated value. The difference between these two values is then divided by the actual value and multiplied by 100 to get the percentage error.

What is the difference between systematic and random error in an equation?

Systematic error refers to consistent and predictable inaccuracies in an equation, whereas random error refers to unpredictable and varying inaccuracies. Systematic error can be corrected by adjusting the equation, while random error can be minimized by taking repeated measurements and calculating the average.

How can error in an equation be minimized?

Error in an equation can be minimized by ensuring accurate and precise measurements, using reliable data, and avoiding assumptions or simplifications that may introduce error. Taking multiple measurements and calculating the average can also help reduce random error.