Mentioning lack of math GRE and classes in SOP?

In summary, the speaker is about to apply to applied math grad schools and has completed the general GRE tests but not the math subject GRE. They are unsure if they should mention this in their SOP or if it will reflect negatively on their application. They also have not taken topology and abstract algebra courses, but plan to if accepted into a program. The best advice is to be honest in their SOP and explain their commitment to pursuing a PhD in applied math and their willingness to take the math subject GRE and additional courses.
creepypasta13
I'm about to apply to applied math grad schools. I completed the general GRE tests, and took the physics gre but not the math subject GRE. There are some schools that will look at my application, though they can't guarantee that my application will be treated equally as an identical one but with a math subject GRE.

The truth is that i decided to apply to schools requiring the math subject GRE about 1-2 weeks after the deadline to register. Should I tell them the truth in my SOP? Or would I be better off just not mentioning it in my SOP because I would look sloppy by not being aware of the deadline or I don't show a firm commitment to pursuing a phD in applied math? Or perhaps I should just ask the graduate advisor, chair, or someone who might know about grad admissions at each school?

Also, some of the math programs mention that typical applicants usually have completed courses in analysis, topology, and abstract algebra. I haven't taken topology and abstract algebra. Hence the admissions commitee may be concerned about whether I could pass the qualifiers that test these classes. Should I explain in my SOP that I'm eager to take these classes if I'm accepted into the program?

Physics news on Phys.org
The best advice I can give you is to be honest in your SOP. If you explain that you were unaware of the deadline and that you are committed to pursuing a PhD in applied math, it will show your commitment to the field. You could also explain that you plan to take the math subject GRE as soon as possible. Additionally, if you have not taken topology or abstract algebra courses, you can explain that you are eager to take these courses if accepted into the program. This shows that you are willing to put in the effort to be successful.

Related to Mentioning lack of math GRE and classes in SOP?

1. Can I still be accepted into graduate school if I mention my lack of math GRE score and classes in my statement of purpose (SOP)?

Yes, it is possible to be accepted into graduate school even if you mention your lack of math GRE score and classes in your SOP. Admissions committees understand that not all applicants will have a strong background in math and may have focused on other areas of study. It is important to highlight any relevant skills or experiences that you do have in your SOP to showcase your potential as a graduate student.

2. Will mentioning my lack of math background in my SOP hurt my chances of being accepted into a graduate program?

No, mentioning your lack of math background in your SOP will not necessarily hurt your chances of being accepted into a graduate program. Admissions committees will consider your entire application, including your academic record, letters of recommendation, and statement of purpose. As long as you can demonstrate your potential to succeed in the program, your lack of math background should not be a major factor in the decision.

3. Should I explain why I have a lack of math background in my SOP?

It is not necessary to explain why you have a lack of math background in your SOP. However, if there is a valid reason for your lack of math experience, such as focusing on a different academic area or facing challenges with the subject, you may choose to briefly mention it in your SOP. This can help provide context for your application and showcase your determination and ability to overcome challenges.

4. How can I make up for my lack of math background in my application?

If you have a lack of math background, you can make up for it in other areas of your application. This can include showcasing strong skills in other subjects, relevant research experience, or relevant work experience. You may also consider taking additional math courses or studying for the math GRE to demonstrate your commitment and ability to improve in this area.

5. Should I address my lack of math background in my SOP even if it is not required?

If your lack of math background is not mentioned in your application materials or required to be addressed in your SOP, then it is not necessary to bring it up. However, if you feel that it is important to your application, you may choose to mention it briefly in your SOP. Just be sure to focus on your strengths and potential as a graduate student rather than dwelling on your lack of math background.