Medical Physics, Astrophysics or something else?

In summary, the conversation discussed the speaker's educational background in physics and their desire to study medical physics in Canada. However, they have realized that job opportunities in this field may not be as promising as they hoped. They are now considering studying astronomy or another major in healthcare, and are seeking input on potential job opportunities in these fields. The speaker also mentioned the possibility of pursuing a college diploma and working in related fields. Overall, the conversation highlighted the competitive job market in medical physics and the potential for opportunities in related areas such as radiation therapy and medical dosimetry.
Debran
Hello
I've got my bachelor's degree in physics, Astrophysics from a university in Iran and I came here about 2 months ago. My plan was to study MSc of medical physics in Canada. I like this field so much because it's more practical and specially because I can help people who have cancer, since I used to work with children who had cancer. But I understood that job opportunities for a MSc of Medical physics is not really good here in Ontario which is very disappointing for me.

So now I'm thinking about studying astronomy or another major in healthcare. Even getting a college diploma would be good for me if I could work with it. In fact I have 2 years to study and then I have to go to work. OK, I could sum up my concerns in 2 questions:
1. Does Astronomy have a future in Ontario?
2. What are other programs in healthcare with a good future job opportunities?

Any input would be really appreciated.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Debran,

If your major concern is job opportunities then it's probably worth noting that the job opportunities in medical physics are generally a lot more than those in astronomy. In medical physics today the most competative candidates for residency positions are CAMPEP-accredited PhD graduates, but there are efforts (particularly in the US) underway to change this so as to avoid "over-educating" candidates for many positions that simply won't require the PhD. MSc medical physics graduates have oportunities outside of just clinical positions too. They can get into industrial positions doing research and product development, technical sales, commissioning and technical support.

Astronomy on the other hand is an academic rather than a professional sub-field. If you seriously want to work as an astronomer then a PhD is pretty much necessary and the few positions available are highly competative even for the PhDs.

If you're looking for something in the medical physics related area that you could get into within two years you might want to consider:
- radiation therapy and medical dosimetry
- MRI technology
- x-ray technology
- nuclear medicine technology
- health physics and radiation protection

It's easy to dismiss "technologist" positions when you have a degree, but from a financial perspective they're actually not that bad assuming that you would start working right away when you graduate. The opportunity cost of remaining in school for a PhD is significant. Some hidden factors are that it delays opportunities to contribute to retirement savings and it delays the opportunity to take out and start paying down a mortgage, for example. Plus, from what I've observed, those who have a physics background in these fields tend to get promoted quickly.

Related to Medical Physics, Astrophysics or something else?

1. What is Medical Physics and what does a Medical Physicist do?

Medical Physics is a branch of physics that applies principles and techniques of physics to the field of medicine. A Medical Physicist is a specialized healthcare professional who works with healthcare providers to ensure the safe and effective use of radiation in diagnosis and treatment of diseases.

2. How is Medical Physics different from other branches of physics?

Medical Physics focuses on the application of physics to the field of medicine, while other branches of physics may focus on different areas such as energy, motion, or matter. Medical Physics also involves understanding and applying knowledge of human anatomy and physiology, as well as regulations and guidelines related to radiation safety.

3. What are some common applications of Medical Physics?

Some common applications of Medical Physics include diagnostic imaging techniques such as X-rays, MRI, and ultrasound, as well as radiation therapy for cancer treatment. Medical Physicists also play a role in radiation safety in medical facilities and in the development of new medical technologies.

4. What is Astrophysics and how does it relate to astronomy?

Astrophysics is a branch of physics that studies the physical properties and behavior of celestial objects and phenomena. It applies the principles of physics to understand the universe and its origins. Astronomy, on the other hand, is the study of celestial objects and phenomena without the use of physics. Astrophysics is therefore a more specialized and scientific approach to studying the universe.

5. What are some current research areas in Astrophysics?

Some current research areas in Astrophysics include the study of dark matter and dark energy, the formation and evolution of galaxies, and the search for habitable planets outside of our solar system. Researchers also study the behavior of black holes, the structure of the universe, and the origins of cosmic rays and other high-energy particles.