Measure of a set E is zero, so is E^2

In summary, if m*(E)=0, then m*(E^2)=0. This is because, by definition, m*(E^2) is the smallest measure of a set that contains E^2, and since E^2 is a subset of E, which has a measure of 0, the smallest measure of a set containing E^2 must also be 0. Therefore, m*(E^2)=0.
wrldt

Homework Statement

If m*(E)=0, then m*(E^2)=0.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have observations which may or may not make sense.

Obviously we have that {Ik} is a cover of E. So we want {I2k} to be a cover E2.

I have a chain of inequalities which may/may not make sense.

0 = m*(E) = [itex] \sum [/itex] m*(E [itex]\cap[/itex] Ik) [itex]\geq[/itex] [itex]\sum m^{*}(I_k) > \sum m^{*}(I_k^2) [/itex]

That's pretty much the extent of my knowledge.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that if m*(E)=0, then m*(E^2) must also be 0, but I'm having trouble providing an explanation as to why. Any help is appreciated.

Related to Measure of a set E is zero, so is E^2

What does it mean for the measure of a set to be zero?

When the measure of a set is zero, it means that the set has no volume or size. This can occur in both one-dimensional and multi-dimensional spaces. Essentially, the set is so small that it can be considered as having no presence in the given space.

What is the significance of the measure of a set being zero?

The measure of a set being zero is significant because it indicates that the set is negligible in terms of size. This can be useful in certain mathematical and scientific calculations, as it allows for simplification of equations and the elimination of certain variables.

What does it mean for a set to have a measure of zero but not be empty?

A set can have a measure of zero but still contain points or elements within it. This means that the set is infinitely dense in the given space, with the points or elements being so close together that they essentially cancel each other out in terms of volume or size.

How does the measure of a set being zero relate to the measure of its square?

If the measure of a set is zero, then the measure of its square (E^2) will also be zero. This is because squaring a number or value that is close to or equal to zero will result in an even smaller number, approaching zero as the value gets closer to zero.

Can a set have a measure of zero and also have a non-zero measure of its square?

No, it is not possible for a set to have a measure of zero and also have a non-zero measure of its square. This would contradict the definition of a set having a measure of zero, which means it has no volume or size. If a set had a non-zero measure of its square, it would indicate that the set has some presence or volume in the given space.