Outer Measure is Countably Subadditive

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measure
So the fact you mentioned is what is being used.In summary, the theorem states that for any countable collection of sets, disjoint or not, the measure of their union is less than or equal to the sum of their individual measures. The proof involves using a countable collection of open, bounded intervals to cover each set, with the sum of their lengths being less than the measure of the set plus a given small value. This is justified by the fact that the infimum of all such sums is equal to the measure of the set.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

If ##\{E_k\}_{k=1}^\infty## is any countable collection of sets, disjoint or not, then ##m^* \left(\bigcup_{k=1}^{\infty} E_k \right) \le \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} m^*(E_k)##.

Homework Equations

##m^*(A) = \inf \{ \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \ell (I_k) ~|~ A \subseteq \bigcup_{k=1}^{\infty} I_k \}##

Note: each ##I_k## is bounded, open interval.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am working through the proof of the above theorem in Royden and Fitzpatrick's Real Analysis and I am having trouble justifying the following claim they use in their proof: Let ##\epsilon > 0##. For each natural number ##k##, there is a countable collection ##\{I_{k,i}\}_{i=1}^\infty## of open, bounded intervals for which

$$E_k \subseteq \bigcup_{i=1}^\infty I_{k,i}$$

and

$$\sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \ell (I_{k,i}) < m^*(E_k) + \frac{\epsilon}{2^k}$$

I think they are just appealing to the following fact: Let ##A \subseteq \Bbb{R}## be nonempty; then ##i = \inf(A)## if and only if ##\forall \delta > 0##, there exists an ##a \in A## such that ##a < i + \delta##. Now since ##m^*(E_k)## is the infimum of certain sums, given ##\frac{\epsilon}{2^k}##, there must exist ##\{I_{k,i}\}_{i=1}^\infty## satisfying the above two properties. Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Let ##S## be the collection of all covers of ##E_k## by countable collections of bounded open intervals. For a cover ##C\in S##, let ##\phi(C)=\sum_{I\in C}\ell(I)##. Then the ##A## to which you refer is
$$A=\left\{\phi(C)\ :\ C\in S\right\}$$
and ##m^*(E_k)=\inf A##. So for any ##\epsilon>0## there must exist ##C\in S## such that ##\phi(C)<m^*(E_k)+\frac{\epsilon}{2^k}##, otherwise ##\inf A\geq m^*(E_k)+\frac{\epsilon}{2^k}> m^*(E_k)=\inf A##, which is a contradiction.

Likes Bashyboy

Related to Outer Measure is Countably Subadditive

1. What is outer measure?

Outer measure is a measure of the size or extent of a set in a given space. It is defined as the infimum of the sum of the lengths of countable collections of intervals that cover the set.

2. What does it mean for outer measure to be countably subadditive?

A set function is countably subadditive if the measure of a countable union of sets is less than or equal to the sum of the measures of the individual sets. In the case of outer measure, this means that the measure of a countable union of sets is less than or equal to the sum of the outer measures of the individual sets.

3. How is countable subadditivity related to countable additivity?

Countable subadditivity is a weaker condition than countable additivity. Countable additivity requires that the measure of a countably infinite union of disjoint sets is equal to the sum of the measures of the individual sets. Countable subadditivity only requires that the measure of the union is less than or equal to the sum of the measures.

4. Why is outer measure countably subadditive?

The proof for why outer measure is countably subadditive is based on the fact that any set can be covered by a countable collection of intervals. This means that the infimum of the sum of the lengths of these intervals will always be less than or equal to the measure of the set. Therefore, outer measure is countably subadditive.

5. How is countable subadditivity useful in mathematics?

Countable subadditivity is an important property of measures in mathematics because it allows us to extend the measure to a larger class of sets. With this property, we can define measures on more complex spaces, such as infinite-dimensional spaces, which are essential in many areas of mathematics, including measure theory, functional analysis, and probability theory.