Maxima/Minima in a conceptual equation

• Thread starter elfy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conceptual
In summary, the surface is an easy one to check up on. If you alternately set either x = 0 or y = 0 , you find that the cross-sections on the yz- and xz-planes are parabolas. When the signs of a and b match, both parabolic cross-sections open in the same direction. When the signs are opposite, the parabolas are opening in opposite directions.
elfy

Homework Statement

Find the stationary points of the function:
z = ax^2 + by^2 + c
For each of the following sub-cases, identify any maxima and minima.
i) a > 0, b > 0
ii) a < 0, b < 0
iii) a and b of opposite signs.

Homework Equations

z = ax^2 + by^2 + c

The Attempt at a Solution

Z'(x) = 2ax = 0
Z'(y) = 2by = 0

Z'(x) = Z'(y) => 2ax = 2by
Solving for y: Y = ax/b
Solving for x: X = by/a

Z''(xx) = 2a
Z''(yy) = 2b
Z''(xy) = 0

Checking the condition [Z''(xx) * Z''(yy)] - (Z''(xy))^2 --> (2a*2b) - (0)^2 = 4ab.

For i) where a and b are > 0 --> 4ab > 0 and 2a > 0 ---> Minimum
For ii) where a and b are < 0 --> 4ab > 0 and 2a < 0 ---> Maximum
For iii) where a and b are opposite --> 4ab < 0 --> Saddle Point

Have I done this correctly? Because I can help thinking that I have forgotten something. I would really appreciate any help and input with regards to my attempted solution! - Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
This looks to be correct (though your partial derivative notation should be something more like zxxzyy - ( zxy )2 , for instance).

This surface is an easy one to check up on. If you alternately set either x = 0 or y = 0 , you find that the cross-sections on the yz- and xz-planes are parabolas. When the signs of a and b match, both parabolic cross-sections open in the same direction. When the signs are opposite, the parabolas are opening in opposite directions.

So having both a and b positive gives us an (elliptic) paraboloid which opens upward (in the positive-z direction), meaning that the critical point at (x, y) = (0, 0) is a minimum. Both a and b being negative has the paraboloid opening downward, so (0, 0) becomes a maximum. For a and b having opposite signs, the surface is a hyperbolic paraboloid and (0, 0) is the saddle point.

Hey dynami, and thanks for your help!

I'm afraid I am not as confident as you are when it comes to shapes in the xy plane so I don't think I have a chance of "seeing" what you just described without actually plotting the graphs manually on a piece of paper hehe.

However, what you just described, does that always hold? I.e. if a and b are both positive, the paraboloid will always open upwards? What I mean is, can I apply that reasoning to any equation (with actual numbers replacing a and b) and "see" the form straight away before even doing the check with the double partial derivatives?

Again, thanks for your help!

elfy said:
However, what you just described, does that always hold? I.e. if a and b are both positive, the paraboloid will always open upwards? What I mean is, can I apply that reasoning to any equation (with actual numbers replacing a and b) and "see" the form straight away before even doing the check with the double partial derivatives?

If we set y = 0 for the surface, we get z = ax2 + c ; this is the cross-section in the xz-plane and is the equation of a parabola. Since x2 is always positive or zero, if a is positive, z increases toward "positive infinity" as | x | becomes larger and larger, so the parabola opens upward (the value of c just shifts the parabola along the z-axis, so it has no effect on the "opening direction"). Similarly, if a is negative, z goes toward "negative infinity" as | x | becomes very large; we have a "downward-opening" parabola. We can apply this in the same way for the yz-plane (setting x = 0 ).

So we are applying analytic geometry, which works pretty well for us here because we had a good idea of how parabolas work. For more complicated functions of two variables, it can become a lot harder to "picture" the function, so analysis by partial derivatives is more effective. And plainly, when we go to functions of more than two dimensions, this kind of analysis is largely all we can go by, since our ability to "see" what the function does becomes very limited...

Related to Maxima/Minima in a conceptual equation

1. What is the concept of maxima and minima in equations?

In mathematics, maxima and minima refer to the highest and lowest values, respectively, of a function or equation within a given interval. It represents the peak or valley points of the graph of the function.

2. How do you find the maxima and minima in an equation?

To find the maxima and minima in an equation, you need to take the first derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the critical points. The critical points are the potential maxima and minima. To determine which is which, you can use the second derivative test or plug in values on either side of the critical points to see if the function is increasing or decreasing.

3. Can equations have more than one maxima or minima?

Yes, equations can have multiple maxima and minima. This occurs when the function has multiple peaks and valleys within the given interval. To find all the maxima and minima, you need to find all the critical points of the function and determine their nature using the second derivative test or other methods.

4. How do maxima and minima affect the graph of an equation?

Maxima and minima points affect the shape of the graph of an equation. A maxima point appears as the highest point on the graph, creating a peak, while a minima point appears as the lowest point on the graph, creating a valley. These points can also affect the slope of the graph, as it changes from increasing to decreasing or vice versa at these points.

5. What are the real-life applications of maxima and minima in equations?

Maxima and minima have various real-life applications, including in optimization problems, such as finding the maximum profit or minimum cost for a business. They are also used in engineering and science to determine the maximum or minimum values of certain parameters, such as temperature, pressure, or velocity. Additionally, they are essential in economics for analyzing supply and demand curves and finding the maximum utility or minimum cost for consumers.