Max Scattering Angle from Thompson Plum Pudding Model

In summary, the problem statement discusses the scattering of an alpha particle from a positively charged part of the Thomson plum-pudding model. It asks to show the largest scattering angle expected from a single atom, given the kinetic energy of the alpha particle and the atomic radius. The solution involves using a simple, approximate derivation and small angle approximations. The final result is given as θ = (2z_2e^2)/(4πε_0KR), and is evaluated for an 8.0-MeV alpha particle scattering from a gold atom of radius 0.135 nm.
James Brady
1. Problem Statement:

Consider the scattering of an alpha particle from the positively charged part of the Thomson plum-pudding model. Let the kinetic energy of the α particle be K (nonrelativistic) and let the atomic radius be R.
  • (a) Assuming that the maximum transverse Coulomb force acts on the α particle for a time Δt = 2R/v (where v is the initial speed of the α particle), show that the largest scattering angle we can expect from a single atom is

[tex]\theta = \frac{2z_2e^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0KR}[/tex]

(b) Evaluate θ for an 8.0-MeV α particle scattering from a gold atom of radius 0.135 nm.

Homework Equations

[tex]ΔP = \int F_{ΔP}dt[/tex][/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

By writing out the units for the above equation, I get that the units all cancel each other out, so it it dimensionless like an angle would be... But I'm really not seeing how to make the connection between what looks like some sort of Coulomb's Law application and angle is made.

Up to this point, when I've solved for angles, there has always been some sort of arctan or arcsine function. I understand that sometimes, when θ is very small, sin(θ) ≈ tan(θ) ≈ θ. But we are talking about large angles in this example. So I am pretty much lost. Any help to get me started on this would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Small angle approximations should be valid here. In the plum pudding model, an alpha particle with kinetic energy of the order of an Mev would not be expected to deflect much.

It appears that you are asked to construct a simple, approximate (hand-waving) derivation of θ. Assume the transverse force on the alpha particle is constant for the time Δt given and that the magnitude of the force is equal to the maximum force that the particle could experience from the sphere of positive charge.

Alright man, I figured maybe they were expecting small-angle approximation, because the only other technique I know is a polynomial expansion which didn't seem valid in this case. Thanks for the help.

Related to Max Scattering Angle from Thompson Plum Pudding Model

1. What is the Thompson Plum Pudding Model?

The Thompson Plum Pudding Model is a model proposed by J.J. Thompson in 1904 to describe the structure of an atom. It suggests that an atom is made up of positively charged material with negatively charged electrons embedded in it, similar to plums in a pudding.

2. How does the Thompson Plum Pudding Model explain the scattering of particles?

The model explains the scattering of particles by considering the atom as a whole, rather than just the nucleus. When a particle approaches an atom, it will be repelled by the positive charge in the atom's outer region, causing it to scatter.

3. What is the maximum scattering angle from the Thompson Plum Pudding Model?

The maximum scattering angle from the Thompson Plum Pudding Model is 180 degrees. This means that particles can be scattered in any direction, but the maximum angle between the incoming and outgoing path will always be 180 degrees.

4. How does the maximum scattering angle from the Thompson Plum Pudding Model compare to other models?

Compared to other models, such as the Rutherford Model, the Thompson Plum Pudding Model predicts a smaller maximum scattering angle. This is because the Rutherford Model considers the atom to have a small, dense nucleus, leading to a larger scattering angle.

5. Does the Thompson Plum Pudding Model accurately describe the scattering of particles?

No, the Thompson Plum Pudding Model is an oversimplified model and does not accurately describe the scattering of particles. It was later replaced by the Rutherford Model, which provided a more accurate explanation of the scattering of particles by considering the nucleus as a small, positively charged center of the atom.