Max inversion temperature for a gas (Dieterici’s equation of state)

jonny997
Homework Statement
I’m trying to calculate the maximum inversion temperature from the inversion curve.
Relevant Equations
See below
DE470E58-1630-423E-84E8-0E5DBCBDA631.jpeg

The notes my lecturer has provided state that the maximum temperature can be found taking p = 0 in the inversion curve formula, given as:

6A8750D7-F98E-47B3-B21A-22DFC4A35C64.jpeg

I’m not sure how to obtain this??

These are the formulas:
01F6BEEB-B15E-431E-863B-EB4FA8D37442.jpeg

This is my attempt at a solution :
D4A3A282-5D6B-48D9-88E7-19D674F87E42.jpeg

BA25810D-9D85-40B6-A08C-CF6AB4E45C1B.jpeg

Not sure if this approach is right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your work looks correct to me.

For part (b) you obtain the inversion curve as a relation between the inversion temperature ##T## and the molar volume ##V##:

1713569406810.png

I believe an inversion curve is typically a relation between ##T## and ##P## rather than between ##T## and ##V##.

Likes jonny997
TSny said:
Your work looks correct to me.

For part (b) you obtain the inversion curve as a relation between the inversion temperature ##T## and the molar volume ##V##:

View attachment 343722

I believe an inversion curve is typically a relation between ##T## and ##P## rather than between ##T## and ##V##.
Hey. Thanks for the response. Do you have any idea how I would go about obtaining the expression my lecturer has provided? Namely, $$ P_{inv} = \left[\frac{2a}{b^2} - \frac{RT}{b}\right]e^{\frac{1}{2}-\frac{a}{RTb}}$$ If I am to rewrite ## T = \frac{2a}{R}\left(\frac{1-\frac{b}{V}}{b}\right) ## in terms of ##P## do I not need an explicit expression for T or V from Dieterici’s e.o.s.

jonny997 said:
If I am to rewrite ## T = \frac{2a}{R}\left(\frac{1-\frac{b}{V}}{b}\right) ## in terms of ##P## do I not need an explicit expression for T or V from Dieterici’s e.o.s.
You need to eliminate ##V## between the equation of state and the equation ## T = \frac{2a}{R}\left(\frac{1-\frac{b}{V}}{b}\right) ##. Decide which equation is easier to solve for ##V## and then substitute for ##V## in the other equation.

Likes jonny997
TSny said:
You need to eliminate ##V## between the equation of state and the equation ## T = \frac{2a}{R}\left(\frac{1-\frac{b}{V}}{b}\right) ##. Decide which equation is easier to solve for ##V## and then substitute for ##V## in the other equation.
Ahhh okay, thank you. For some reason it didn’t click that I could solve for V using ## T = \frac{2a}{R}\left(\frac{1-\frac{b}{V}}{b}\right) ## and then sub that into the other equation 😬 I’ve got it now

Likes TSny