Mathematics or Math:General for Physics

In summary, the individual is a high school student from Australia struggling with mathematics and considering dropping to general math, which may affect their dream of becoming a physicist. The advice is to focus on improving now with the help of a teacher and tutor, as it may be harder to catch up later in life. College may also have introductory math classes for students with weaker math skills.
The Guided One
So I am a High school student from Australia and I'm slow when it comes to mathematics (2 Unit) and I'm not doing to well in the tests, I'm getting around 50%.
I was wondering if I should drop to general Maths, which I know isn't recommended for University Physics. The recommended is instead Mathematics (2 unit)...

So... Is my dream of becoming a Physicist over, or can I get better at mathematics later in life, after I finish high school?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your best bet is to buckle down and do better, NOW! You have a teacher and hopefully, help when you need it, in your current situation. If you wait to learn later, you will be hampered by yourself (by your own admission you are weak in math, w/o help you will have to work 2x harder to get where you want to be vs putting in the effort now with the help of the schools system). I would also suggest you find and use a tutor as quickly as you can to help you make up what you need.
You may need to take some introductory math when you get to college as well, but you do not have to give up your dreams at this stage. Colleges often have entry level math classes for students much like yourself. You will be hard pressed to finish a 4 year degree in 4 years, but even that is possible with an overload of classes for one or two semesters if you go on to college with poor preparation in math. Again, I stress, catch up now if possible.

Related to Mathematics or Math:General for Physics

1. What is the importance of mathematics in physics?

Mathematics is the language of physics. It helps us describe and understand the natural world through the use of equations and models. Without mathematics, it would be difficult to make precise predictions and perform accurate calculations in physics.

2. What are some common mathematical concepts used in physics?

Some common mathematical concepts used in physics include calculus, algebra, trigonometry, and geometry. These concepts are essential for understanding and solving problems in mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and other branches of physics.

3. How can I improve my math skills for physics?

Practice and persistence are key to improving math skills for physics. It is important to have a solid understanding of basic mathematical concepts and constantly practice solving problems. Seeking help from teachers or tutors can also be beneficial.

4. Do I need to be good at math to study physics?

While a strong foundation in mathematics is necessary for studying physics, it is not the only requirement. Many physicists have different levels of mathematical abilities, but what is important is the ability to think critically and logically. With dedication and effort, anyone can succeed in studying physics.

5. Can I study physics without prior knowledge of math?

It is not recommended to study physics without any prior knowledge of math. Understanding mathematical concepts and equations is crucial for understanding the principles and laws of physics. However, with dedication and hard work, one can learn and improve their math skills while studying physics.