Mathematics necessary for Radiometry, Photometry, Thermodynamics

In summary, for Radiometry, Photometry, and Thermodynamics in building science, you will need to have a strong understanding of Multivariable Calculus, including line integrals, double and triple integrals, and surface integrals. Differential equations, including partial differential equations, will also be necessary for advanced thermodynamics. As for coordinate systems, understanding polar, spherical, and cylindrical coordinates may be helpful, but not essential. The fraction 1 over something often seen in integrals is the reciprocal of the area of a circle of radius R. It may also be related to Cauchy's integral formula and complex analysis, but this is not a prerequisite for the topics you mentioned. Additionally, for Fluid Mechanics, PDEs will be
rdgn
What are the math concepts I have to learn for Radiometry, Photometry and Thermodynamics (all Calculus-based) as applied in building science (engineering, architecture, etc.).

I'm almost done with Multivariable Calculus and I'm aware that MV Calculus is necessary, but what specific calculus topics? (I'm already done with line integrals, double, triple, surface, haven't done flux yet).
Is a study of differential equations necessary?
Do I need to study some math beyond Calc III?
Would polar/spherical/cylindrical coordinates systems be necessary? (Almost all the math I've done was in cartesian coordinates so I barely remember other coordinate systems).

I've been skimming through some sources to get an idea of what I'll be seeing and there are still some symbols that I'm not sure what they mean, e.g.
[tex] \frac{1}{\pi R^2}\int_{S_{v}}^{ }cos\phi dS [/tex]

Looks like a line integral but I'm not sure If this is in cartesian or polar, etc. coordinates, and I don't know what the fraction means. I also encounter that fraction 1 over something quite a lot so I'm sure there's a concept behind it that I don't know of. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rdgn said:
What are the math concepts I have to learn for Radiometry, Photometry and Thermodynamics (all Calculus-based) as applied in building science (engineering, architecture, etc.).

I'm almost done with Multivariable Calculus and I'm aware that MV Calculus is necessary, but what specific calculus topics? (I'm already done with line integrals, double, triple, surface, haven't done flux yet).
Is a study of differential equations necessary?
Do I need to study some math beyond Calc III?
Relative to the building sciences disciplines you mentioned, I would guess that study beyond the calculus topics you listed isn't necessary. However, for thermodynamics at anything beyond an introductory level, differential equations would be used, including partial differential equations (PDE).
rdgn said:
Would polar/spherical/cylindrical coordinates systems be necessary? (Almost all the math I've done was in cartesian coordinates so I barely remember other coordinate systems).

I've been skimming through some sources to get an idea of what I'll be seeing and there are still some symbols that I'm not sure what they mean, e.g.
[tex] \frac{1}{\pi R^2}\int_{S_{v}}^{ }cos\phi dS [/tex]
Without knowing the context, I can't say, other than to guess this is a surface integral, where dS represents an infitesimal area element
rdgn said:
Looks like a line integral but I'm not sure If this is in cartesian or polar, etc. coordinates,
Because of the ##\cos(\phi)## integrand, it appears to me to be in spherical coordinates, but that wouldn't necessarily be the case.
rdgn said:
and I don't know what the fraction means.
It's the reciprocal of the area of a circle of radius R.
rdgn said:
I also encounter that fraction 1 over something quite a lot so I'm sure there's a concept behind it that I don't know of.

Thanks!

Just a follow-up. I remember now where I encountered integrals where there was 1/something before the integral. It was when I was reading things about Cauchy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy's_integral_formula.

Although I'm quite sure I won't be studying complex analysis, I was wondering if the reciprocal 1/pi*r^2 has anything to do with Cauchy's complex analysis, or any prerequisite calculus topics. (here's the context of the formula btw, which I don't understand because apparently it requires an understanding of flux: http://www.grasshopper3d.com/group/ladybug/forum/topics/discussion-sky-view-factor).

I also forgot to add Fluid Mechanics to my question.
I assume PDEs are as far as I need to learn for Fluid Mechanics?

Last edited:

Related to Mathematics necessary for Radiometry, Photometry, Thermodynamics

What is the importance of mathematics in radiometry?

Mathematics is essential in radiometry as it allows us to quantify the intensity and distribution of electromagnetic radiation. It also helps us understand the behavior of light and how it interacts with matter, which is crucial in radiometric measurements and calculations.

How does mathematics play a role in photometry?

Mathematics is vital in photometry as it enables us to measure and calculate the amount of light that is visible to the human eye. It helps us understand the properties of light, such as its intensity, color, and spectral distribution, which are essential in photometric measurements and analysis.

Why is mathematics necessary for thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the study of energy and its transformations, and mathematics is crucial in understanding and quantifying these energy processes. It allows us to express and calculate the relationships between various thermodynamic properties, such as temperature, pressure, and energy, which are essential in thermodynamic analysis and engineering.

What are some specific mathematical concepts used in radiometry, photometry, and thermodynamics?

Some of the essential mathematical concepts used in these fields include calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, statistics, and probability. These concepts are used to model and analyze various physical phenomena, such as light propagation, energy transfer, and thermodynamic processes.

How can proficiency in mathematics improve one's understanding of radiometry, photometry, and thermodynamics?

A strong foundation in mathematics is necessary for a thorough understanding of these fields. It allows scientists to accurately measure, analyze, and interpret data, make predictions, and develop new theories and models. Proficiency in mathematics can also aid in problem-solving and critical thinking, which are essential skills in these scientific disciplines.