Mathematica: Inertia Tensor w/ 3-d Rectangle

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a 3-D rectangle in Mathematica with specific measurements and finding the principal moments of inertia and axes using matrix form and eigenvalues/eigenvectors. The conversation also mentions the stability of the free rotation of the block and the use of ParametricPlot3d in Mathematica.
Paul E.
Hey All,

I'm trying to create a 3-D rectangle in Mathematica with the following measurements: Mass M=1.5 kg, and sides of length a=10 cm (parallel to the x-axis), 2a (parallel to the y-axis), and 3a (parallel to the z-axis). Let one corner be at the origin, and let the three adjacent edges lie along the coordinate axes, so the corners of the cube lie at (0,0,0), (a,0,0), (0,2a,0), (0,0,3a), (0,2a,3a), (a,0,3a), (a,2a,0), and (a,2a,3a).

I'm trying to set it up in matrix form, as I have to find the principal moments of inertia and principal axes as well. What's the best way to solve for this with the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the tensor?

Also have to answer which of the principal axes would free rotation of the block be stable?

There's a long list of things I have to do with this problem, so I will update as necessary.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Paul! :smile:
Paul E. said:
I'm trying to set it up in matrix form, as I have to find the principal moments of inertia and principal axes as well.

If your three coordinate axes are parallel to the axes of symmetry (in this case, the sides of the box), then the moment of inertia tensor is diagonal :wink:

Thanks Tim,
Since I'm fairly new to Mathematica... all I've seen is ParametricPlot3d for other plots, but never seen anything for a block or the inertia tensor. Anyone familiar with the programming?

Related to Mathematica: Inertia Tensor w/ 3-d Rectangle

1. What is the inertia tensor in Mathematica?

The inertia tensor is a mathematical representation of the distribution of mass and its rotational inertia for a rigid body in three-dimensional space. It is used to describe the body's resistance to rotational motion.

2. How can one calculate the inertia tensor for a three-dimensional rectangle in Mathematica?

To calculate the inertia tensor for a three-dimensional rectangle in Mathematica, one can use the built-in function InertiaTensor. This function takes in the dimensions and mass of the rectangle as input and returns the inertia tensor as a matrix.

3. What information does the inertia tensor provide for a three-dimensional rectangle?

The inertia tensor for a three-dimensional rectangle provides information about the rectangle's mass distribution and its resistance to rotational motion. This information can be used to analyze the rectangle's stability and predict its behavior when subjected to external forces.

4. Can the inertia tensor be used to calculate the moment of inertia for a three-dimensional rectangle in Mathematica?

Yes, the moment of inertia for a three-dimensional rectangle can be calculated from the inertia tensor using the formula I = Tr(Itensor), where Itensor is the inertia tensor and Tr is the trace function.

5. Are there any limitations to using the inertia tensor for a three-dimensional rectangle in Mathematica?

One limitation is that the inertia tensor assumes the rectangle is a rigid body with a constant density, which may not be accurate for all real-world objects. Additionally, the inertia tensor does not take into account any deformations or deformability of the rectangle, which may affect its moment of inertia in certain situations.