Math tripos part III at Cambridge.

In summary, the conversation discusses the application process for the MASt in Applied Mathematics at Cambridge, specifically the admission requirements and the background of the applicants. It is noted that having a strong academic background and being prepared to work hard are important factors for success in the program. The conversation also touches on the number of lectures per week for Part II courses, which can vary from 2 to 3 depending on the course.
jmus
I recently applied to Cambridge for a MASt in Applied Mathematics, which falls under the curriculum of part III of the math tripos. I was wondering if anybody else has applied for or completed this course? If you have, would you mind giving a summary of your academic background? I'd like something to compare myself to so as to better gauge my chances of receiving an offer. Also if anybody has received an offer would you mind posting when it was received?

Just to give you an outline of my background: I'm a senior at large state school( top 30 for physics, top 40ish for math) majoring in math and physics. My GPA is 3.94 over all, a 4.00 in math and a 3.98 in physics.

I've completed all the standard undergraduate courses for both majors as well as a graduate level course in partial differential equations.

My recommendation letters should be fairly good. One of the professors thinks very very highly of me but is younger and not particularly well known, while the other is a little more reserved with praise in general but has excellent mathematical genealogy and is reasonably well known in his field.

I spent one summer at Fermilab near Chicago working on a neutrino oscillation experiment. Not sure if that will be to my advantage as it wasn't theory oriented. I also attended a Math REU in harmonic analysis. I proved a fair amount of new results and wrote up a paper with two other guys but it won't be published for at least 3 or so months.

Physics news on Phys.org
jmus said:
I recently applied to Cambridge for a MASt in Applied Mathematics, which falls under the curriculum of part III of the math tripos. I was wondering if anybody else has applied for or completed this course? If you have, would you mind giving a summary of your academic background? I'd like something to compare myself to so as to better gauge my chances of receiving an offer. Also if anybody has received an offer would you mind posting when it was received?

Just to give you an outline of my background: I'm a senior at large state school( top 30 for physics, top 40ish for math) majoring in math and physics. My GPA is 3.94 over all, a 4.00 in math and a 3.98 in physics.

Part III admissions discriminate in favour Cambridge undergraduates who obtain a First in Part II (for whom admission is automatic), and then Cambridge undergraduates who obtained a 2:1 in Part II mathematics or a First in physics. As regards non-Cambridge graduates, the unofficial guide has this to say:

Only reasonably able and hard-working students are likely to profit from Part III. The Departments normally require First Class Honours from students coming from other British universities. If you come from outside the British system we have to rely on your referees’ opinions but as a rough guide for you and them, you should be able to profit from Part III if you are in the top 10% of mathematicians graduating in your country and you are prepared to work very hard.

I did do Part III about 10 years ago having obtained a First in Part II, so my personal experience of the Part III admissions process will not assist you.

It is in any event worth looking at the course descriptions and past papers (and examples sheets) for Part II to see what background is likely to be assumed. Bear in mind that although there are upwards of 30 courses in Part II, candidates will typically prepare no more than six for examination and will by this stage be specializing either in pure mathematics or in applied mathematics/theoretical physics. You should concentrate on those listed as prerequisites for http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/postgrad/mathiii/courseguide/2014-15/ which interest you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the response. I gave the prerequisite part II courses a look and I seem to meet the requirements for the Part III courses I'm interested in taking (QFT, Gen Relativity, Differential Geometry, PDEs and Functional Analysis). Do you know how many lectures are given per week in a typical Part II course?

jmus said:
Thanks for the response. I gave the prerequisite part II courses a look and I seem to meet the requirements for the Part III courses I'm interested in taking (QFT, Gen Relativity, Differential Geometry, PDEs and Functional Analysis). Do you know how many lectures are given per week in a typical Part II course?

Part II courses are either 16 lectures or 24 lectures. Terms are 8 weeks, so that is 2 lectures per week or 3 lectures per week respectively.

I can say that the Math Tripos Part III program at Cambridge is highly regarded in the field of mathematics. It is a rigorous and challenging program that prepares students for advanced research in applied mathematics.

Based on your academic background, it seems that you have a strong foundation in both mathematics and physics, which are essential for success in this program. Your GPA and completion of graduate level courses demonstrate your strong academic abilities.

Your recommendation letters from professors who are both highly respected in their fields will also be beneficial in your application. The fact that one of them thinks very highly of you and the other has a strong mathematical genealogy will showcase your potential for success in the program.

Your experience at Fermilab and attendance at a Math REU in harmonic analysis also demonstrate your interest and dedication to mathematics. While your work at Fermilab may not be directly related to theory, it still showcases your abilities in research and problem-solving.

Overall, I believe that you have a strong chance of receiving an offer from Cambridge for the MASt in Applied Mathematics. However, it is ultimately up to the admissions committee to make their decision, and every applicant is evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

I wish you the best of luck with your application and hope that you receive an offer soon. Keep in mind that even if you do not receive an offer, it does not diminish your academic achievements and potential in any way. There are many other opportunities for you to continue your studies and research in mathematics.

Related to Math tripos part III at Cambridge.

1. What is the purpose of the Math Tripos Part III program at Cambridge?

The Math Tripos Part III program at Cambridge is an advanced mathematics course designed for students who have already completed a bachelor's degree in mathematics or a related field. It provides a rigorous and specialized education in mathematics, preparing students for further study in mathematics or careers in academia, industry, or government.

2. How long is the Math Tripos Part III program?

The program is one academic year, typically beginning in October and ending in June.

3. What are the entry requirements for the Math Tripos Part III program?

Applicants must have a strong background in mathematics, typically at least a first-class honours degree or equivalent in mathematics or a related subject. They must also have a strong foundation in core mathematics topics such as analysis, algebra, and calculus. Admission is highly competitive and based on academic merit.

4. Are there any specialization options within the Math Tripos Part III program?

Yes, students can choose to specialize in one of eight areas: Advanced Probability, Applications of Mathematics, Geometry and Topology, Logic and Set Theory, Mathematical Biology, Number Theory, Part III Mathematical Statistics, and Quantum Field Theory and Fundamental Mathematics.

5. What are the assessment methods for the Math Tripos Part III program?

The program is primarily assessed through written exams, which take place at the end of each term. There are also some coursework components, including problem sets and essays. Students must also complete a research project and write a dissertation on their chosen topic. The final degree classification is based on a combination of exam results and the research project/dissertation.