Math textbooks for physics grad student and other questions

In summary, the speaker is planning to pursue a master's degree in theoretical physics but needs to improve their math skills. They are familiar with basic linear algebra concepts but want to deepen their understanding before starting their program. They are considering reading books by Anton, Strang, Lang, and Axler, but are not sure which one to choose. They also mention studying group theory and ask for recommendations on resources to improve their math skills for physics.
dsatkas
I hope this post won't become too tedious.
I've completed my undergrad studies in physics and if things go well i will begin my master's degree in April. The thing is, since my path to graduation has been peculiar (to say the least) I'm kinda weak in maths skills atm and need to improve. I'm going to apply for a master's degree in theoretical physics so it's safe to assume strengthening my math background is almost mandatory. As the title suggests i want to restudy linear algebra. Obviously i don't have to start from scratch, I'm familiar with matrices, determinants, eigenvalues etc. My LA course consisted of computational style of algebra, nothing fancy with mathematical proofs, but i suspect I'm going to need more than that. I have already started reading from Anton which covers basically what i was taught but what should i also read to deepen my understatement? I have read here that Strang, Lang, Axler are good choices but can't afford all of them money and time-wise. I should also point out that at the same time I'm trying to study group theory with applications in physics. What is the difference between Lang's Introduction to LA and LA? Sorry for all the questions. I want to ask more questions but those will come later. I would appreciate any help

ps. I should probably state that I'm not that brilliant of a student and kind of a slow learner

Physics news on Phys.org
Check this thread. I found most of the PDF pretty easily

thank you for the reply but I'm not sure it's very relevant to what I'm asking. They are talking about analysis textbooks and stuff

Fair enough. Found it worth passing the link. Another one I would recommend to others is this one by Gerard 't Hooft, but in your case I have doubts (he doesn't mention LA -- to me a sure hint that perhaps what you carry in mental luggage in that area may be adequate already).

My LA isn't all that sophisticated, so I'm glad I will also get an alert when someone else has a good hint for us :smile:.

Anyone?

In many ways, linearity is the key to physics, so buckling down on the linear algebra sounds like a good idea. I started with Strang's book. After that, I studied the heck out of Don Koks' Explorations in Mathematical Physics. The first chapter "A Trip Down Linear Lane", really helped deepen my understanding of how linear algebra relates to physics. Since then, I've learned a lot from two other books. The first is Mathematics for Physicists by Dennery and Krzywicki. The other is Hassani's book on the foundations of mathematical physics. These last two are arguably not for the mathematically faint of heart.

Likes dsatkas

Related to Math textbooks for physics grad student and other questions

What topics are typically covered in math textbooks for physics grad students?

Math textbooks for physics grad students typically cover topics such as linear algebra, multivariable calculus, differential equations, complex analysis, and Fourier analysis.

Do math textbooks for physics grad students also cover advanced topics?

Yes, many math textbooks for physics grad students also cover advanced topics such as group theory, tensor analysis, and differential geometry.

Can math textbooks for physics grad students be used for self-study?

Yes, math textbooks for physics grad students can be used for self-study, but it is recommended to have a strong background in advanced mathematics before attempting to use them for self-study.

Are there any math textbooks specifically designed for physics grad students?

Yes, there are some math textbooks that are specifically designed for physics grad students, with a focus on applying mathematical concepts to physics problems.

What makes math textbooks for physics grad students different from regular math textbooks?

Math textbooks for physics grad students often have a stronger emphasis on mathematical concepts and applications relevant to physics, rather than a more general approach to mathematics.