Math subject guidance -- prerequisites for a physics class

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's plan to take a class called "Foundation of Theoretical Physics" and their desire to efficiently learn all the necessary prerequisite classes. These classes include Mechanics, EM, Modern Physics, Statistical and Thermal Physics, EM Waves, and QM. The speaker also mentions needing help with determining the amount of math required for these classes, specifically Calculus 3, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations 1 and 2, Real Analysis 1 and 2, Probability & Statistics, and Vector Calculus. They question whether all of these math classes are necessary for the physics classes they want to take and mention that some upper-level physics students also take advanced calculus and complex variables.
Aayam
ok. so here is the plan. there is a class i want to take. but before i can take that class i need/want to learn bunch of stuff. The classes has bunch of pre-requisite classes that i want to learn. I want to learn them efficiently(dont confuse this with me rushing, if it takes time, so be it but i don't want to waste time doing something that isn't necessary)

class i want to take is "foundation of theoretical physics.
Classes i need to learn before that classes are( i intend to learn all of these, i need help on how much math for these classes)(also, these are all undergraduate courses)
Mechanics
EM
Modern physics
Statistical and Thermal physics
EM Waves
QM

The math classes i will be taking, but for right now, physics i more necessary. Do i absolutely have to take all the math classes to be able to do the physics listed above?

Cal 3
lineal Alg
Diffeq I
Diffeq II
Real analysis I
Real analysis II
Probability & Statistics
Vector Calcdo i really have to take all the math classes in order to do the physics involved. or can i just learn bunch of things..

please help

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are set up on the quarter system you might have different class descriptions but here you would need to take calc1,2,3 diff eq1 and linear algebra. vector calc here is done in calc 2-3
MATH 1834
CALCULUS I
The first of a three
-
course sequence in analytical geometry and calculus.
Limits, Continuity, differentiation, integration, applications.

MATH 2834 CALCULUS II
A continuation of Calculus I, Analytical Geometry and Calculus.
Applications and techniques of integration, sequences, and series, conics,
parametric equations, polar coordinates, and vectors.

MATH 3834 CALCULUS III
Continuation of Calculus II. Vector
-
valued functions, partial
differentiation, multiple integration, line integral
s, surface integrals.
Green’s Theorem, the Divergence Theorem, and Stokes’ Theorem.

All the physics you stated require differential equations 1 here.
Not sure about the analysis classes since there are no prereqs stated but most of the upper level physics students are taking advanced calc and complex variables. (real and complex analysis)

Related to Math subject guidance -- prerequisites for a physics class

1. What math classes do I need to take before enrolling in a physics class?

Before taking a physics class, it is recommended to have a solid foundation in algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. Some universities may also require calculus as a prerequisite.

2. Do I need to have a strong math background to excel in a physics class?

While a strong math background can certainly be beneficial, it is not necessary to excel in a physics class. However, a basic understanding of mathematical concepts and equations will be helpful in understanding the principles of physics.

3. Can I take a physics class without having taken any math classes in college?

It is not recommended to take a physics class without any prior math classes in college. Physics heavily relies on mathematical concepts and equations, so it is important to have a basic understanding of these before enrolling in a physics class.

4. Are there any specific math topics that I should review before taking a physics class?

Some of the key math topics that are important for understanding physics include algebraic equations, trigonometric functions, and calculus concepts such as derivatives and integrals. It may also be helpful to review basic geometry principles.

5. How can I prepare for a physics class if I am not confident in my math skills?

If you are not confident in your math skills, it is recommended to review basic math concepts and work on practice problems before enrolling in a physics class. You can also seek help from a tutor or attend review sessions to strengthen your math skills before taking the class.