Math and Physics: Finding the Relationships

• Thread starter tone4sky
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is seeking help in choosing a discipline for their postgraduate studies that will allow them to explore the relationship between mathematics and physics. They mention the example of the Rayleigh-Jeans law and how it was mathematically correct but incorrect when applied to nature. They ask for recommendations for universities that offer programs in mathematical physics or theoretical physics.
tone4sky
Hi professionals , kindly I just want someone help me to choice the right Discipline for my post graduate study , I want to study in a mathematical field that enable me to describe the relations between the mathematics and physics . or in other words , the relations between mathematics and the existence .

any help will be appreciated .

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just for illustration , as you know that ( Rayleigh–Jeans law ) was seems mathematically correct , but when scientists applied that law in the nature it was incorrect !

so , what's the kind of math that enable us to distinguish between what's correct in mathematics and what's correct in the nature ?

Sounds like mathematical physics or theoretical physics...see what universities that might interest you offer in those areas.

Related to Math and Physics: Finding the Relationships

1. What is the difference between math and physics?

Math and physics are closely related fields, but they have distinct differences. Math is a tool used to describe and analyze patterns and relationships, while physics is a natural science that studies the fundamental laws of the universe and how they interact with matter and energy. In other words, math is a language used to understand and quantify the physical world, while physics is the study of that physical world.

2. How are math and physics related?

Math and physics are closely intertwined and often rely on each other. Physics uses mathematical equations and models to describe and predict the behavior of physical systems. In turn, the concepts and principles of physics often inspire the development of new mathematical ideas and techniques.

3. Why is it important to understand the relationship between math and physics?

Understanding the relationship between math and physics is important because it allows us to better understand the world around us. By using math to describe and analyze physical phenomena, we can make predictions, develop new technologies, and deepen our understanding of the laws that govern our universe.

4. How can I improve my understanding of the relationships between math and physics?

The best way to improve your understanding of the relationships between math and physics is to study both subjects simultaneously. By learning the mathematical principles and equations that underlie physical concepts, you can gain a deeper understanding of how they are connected. It can also be helpful to practice applying mathematical techniques to real-world physical problems.

5. Can anyone learn to understand the relationships between math and physics?

Yes, anyone can learn to understand the relationships between math and physics with dedication and practice. While some people may have a natural aptitude for these subjects, with effort and determination, anyone can develop a strong understanding of the connections between math and physics. It is important to have a strong foundation in basic math and physics concepts before delving into more complex relationships and applications.