Materials Science for a Grad. Degree

In summary, the conversation revolves around a chem major considering a materials science grad degree and seeking advice on relevant curriculums, depth of physics and math studies, job outlooks, and whether it is a safe transition from chemistry. They also discuss the lack of worked-out problems in physics classes and the importance of practice and seeking help from other students and professors. The speaker expresses dissatisfaction with analytical/lab tech work and believes that students should have access to solutions for their exams and homework.
mrshappy0
Any advice on a chem major/math minor going into materials science grad degree?

Most helpful curriculums?
How deep should you take physics/math in undergrad?
Job Outlooks/what kind of work expected?
Is it really a safe jump for a chem major?
Will it be easy to push away from chem and more into the physics/math stuff?

I find chemistry unsatisfying.. especially analytical/lab tech work.
I'm not very bright in math/physics but the material more rewarding at the end of the day.

Relevant side question:
Why do so many physics classes not supply a wealth of worked out problems?

Every time I go to study I slave over foolish mistakes that stop me from learning 10 x the material I could be learning.

I understand that problem solving is important in physics but I personally think that training students to see the methods of working through problems can be very effective rather than deliberately hiding them from the students. Maybe it's just my school, but we aren't even given the solutions after we get our corrected exams. This is baloney because not everyone has time to chase down the professor every time they have a question. Not to mention large classes and one professor makes it near impossible to get one-on-one help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Problem solving comes with practice. Spending class time to solve problems or go over homework is often wasteful. You should be able to look at your exams and figure out why your incorrect answers are wrong. Talk to other students if the professor is not available.

I completely agree that using class time for problem solving and homework is a waste of time.

I don't agree that students don't have access to solutions to completed homework/exams/quizzes. Sure talking to professors and other students is super important in training for the world of science but some students are more focused on learning physics in the early stages -- rather than playing social games.

Last edited:

Related to Materials Science for a Grad. Degree

1. What is Materials Science?

Materials Science is an interdisciplinary field that involves the study of the properties, structure, and performance of materials, as well as their development and application in various industries.

2. What is the scope of a graduate degree in Materials Science?

A graduate degree in Materials Science typically covers a wide range of topics, including material characterization, synthesis, processing, and design. It also includes courses on various types of materials such as metals, ceramics, polymers, and composites.

3. What are the career opportunities for graduates with a degree in Materials Science?

Graduates with a degree in Materials Science have a diverse range of career opportunities in industries such as aerospace, automotive, electronics, energy, and healthcare. They can work as researchers, engineers, consultants, or educators.

4. What skills are necessary for success in a graduate degree in Materials Science?

To succeed in a graduate degree in Materials Science, students need to have a strong foundation in chemistry, physics, and mathematics. They should also possess critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for collaboration and presentation of research.

5. What research opportunities are available for graduate students in Materials Science?

There are numerous research opportunities available for graduate students in Materials Science, including studying the properties of new materials, developing advanced materials for specific applications, and improving existing materials for better performance. Students also have the opportunity to work with industry partners on real-world projects.