Masters in computational physics

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on pursuing a masters in computational physics with a background in computer science and intern experience in the field. They are also considering astrophysics as an alternate option. They are interested in hearing from someone with personal experience in a computational science or physics program.
Carnivroar
Has anyone here done a masters in computational physics?

I am doing a double major in computer science and physics and it was always my intention to combine both fields for a career.

I am basically finished with my CS degree and I have a very valuable internship at a large IT company doing research in a CS field. My concern is that I do not have much to show for physics.

The internship will last until I graduate, after which I will likely get a full time job there, so there's no way to find a physics internship now.

What are my chances of getting into graduate school for a computational physics program without any actual experience in physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump.

I'd really like to talk to someone who has done CP. :)

My professor told me that computational physics involves much more physics than CS and that the computational part is easy to pick up, which is why a CS degree is not really required for the masters program.

But Astrophysics does require a lot of programming for modeling and simulation, so that would be a better field for me to go into if I want to stay in CS.

Astrophysics is my favorite area of physics so that's great news.

A lot of the programs are labeled as "computational science" and not computational physics. Anyone with personal experience with any such program (c. science or c. physics)? Especially a program not in Buffalo? (sorry to rip on Buffalo, ye from Buffalo)

You might be interested in looking at some scientific computing graduate programs or computational engineering and science programs. They seem to be closer to computational physics as in they don't require a lot of CS knowledge except for a few programming classes, but that's just what I can tell from looking at the course descriptions. I had a professor at the community college I attended that was in the PhD program at the local university and he said it's mostly made of CS and math majors.

Related to Masters in computational physics

1. What is a Masters in Computational Physics?

A Masters in Computational Physics is a graduate degree program that combines the principles of physics with computer science and mathematical modeling techniques to study and understand complex systems and phenomena in the physical world. It focuses on using computers to simulate and analyze physical phenomena, such as the behavior of particles, fluids, and materials.

2. What are the career opportunities for someone with a Masters in Computational Physics?

Graduates with a Masters in Computational Physics have a wide range of career opportunities, including working as a research scientist in industries such as aerospace, energy, and healthcare. They can also work in government agencies, research institutes, and universities as data scientists, computational physicists, or software developers.

3. What skills and knowledge are required for a Masters in Computational Physics?

Students pursuing a Masters in Computational Physics should have a strong background in physics, mathematics, and computer science. They should also have excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as well as a solid understanding of programming languages and computational methods.

4. What are the benefits of studying for a Masters in Computational Physics?

Studying for a Masters in Computational Physics can lead to a highly rewarding and intellectually stimulating career. It allows students to develop advanced skills in data analysis, modeling, and simulation, which are highly sought after in various industries. Furthermore, it provides a solid foundation for further education or research in fields such as computational science, engineering, and data science.

5. What are the prerequisites for enrolling in a Masters in Computational Physics program?

The specific prerequisites for a Masters in Computational Physics program may vary among universities, but generally, applicants should have a bachelor's degree in physics, mathematics, or a related field. They may also be required to have a certain level of proficiency in programming languages, such as Python or C++, and some prior coursework in numerical methods and computational physics.