Masters in astronomy or astrophysics with a mechanical bachelor's degree?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pursuing a masters degree in astronomy or astrophysics in the US with a background in mechanical engineering. The individual is from India and expresses interest in space sciences, but notes the lack of proper undergraduate education in astrophysics or physics/mathematics departments in their country. They are willing to go anywhere for further education, but have heard that there are limited universities in the US offering such programs and only admit students with an excellent profile. The conversation also mentions the availability of GRE subject-based tests in their country and the relevance of their physics and math coursework and scores to their chances of being admitted. The conversation concludes with mention of other students from India pursuing a PhD in the US and the possibility of taking
harikeshav
it is possible to do a masters degree in us in astronomy or astrophysics with a mechanical undergrad?
mechanical engineer with 60% aggregate and 10 backlogs// gre general test(440+790+3.5)// toefl 85+(exp)
right from my childhood i was interested in space sciences and space programs on t.v. and i always had a passion to seek a career in the same but I'm from a country(india) having no proper decent undergrad education in astrophysics or as a matter of fact in any physics/mathematics department, nor there are enough qualified people to teach those subjects, but now i seriously consider my chances(if any) to pursue a graduate degree or any other further education in the department to space sciences/astronomy/cosmology/astrophysics/planetary sciences. my first priority is usa but i am ready to goto any corner of the world if my chances are reduced. Also, in my country ets doesn't offer gre subject based test.
i came to know that there are only few universities in the usa which offer such courses and those few take in students with an excellent profile. is it true??

Physics news on Phys.org
There aren't many programs in the US offering a terminal masters in astronomy or astrophysics; most of them only admit for the PhD. Your physics and math coursework and physics GRE scores would be a lot more relevant to whether or not you'd have a shot at one. I know many students from India doing a PhD in the US, so I'm sure you can take the physics GRE there.

My classical dynamics professor is from India. He went to the University of Colombia in Sri Lanka and then on to Cornell for graduate school.

Related to Masters in astronomy or astrophysics with a mechanical bachelor's degree?

1. What is the difference between astronomy and astrophysics?

Astronomy is the study of celestial objects and phenomena, while astrophysics is the application of physics principles to understand the behavior and properties of these objects. Both fields are closely related and often overlap in their research and observations.

2. Can I pursue a Masters in astronomy or astrophysics with a mechanical bachelor's degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Masters in astronomy or astrophysics with a mechanical engineering bachelor's degree. However, you may need to take additional courses in physics and mathematics to build a strong foundation in these areas.

3. What skills are necessary for a Masters in astronomy or astrophysics?

Some key skills that are necessary for a Masters in astronomy or astrophysics include strong mathematical and analytical skills, critical thinking, problem-solving abilities, and a passion for scientific research. Good communication and computer skills are also important for data analysis and presenting research findings.

4. What kind of job opportunities are available with a Masters in astronomy or astrophysics?

Graduates with a Masters in astronomy or astrophysics can work in a variety of fields, including research and academia, space agencies, observatories, and even private companies. Some common job titles include astronomer, astrophysicist, data analyst, and research scientist.

5. How long does it take to complete a Masters in astronomy or astrophysics?

The duration of a Masters program in astronomy or astrophysics can vary depending on the specific program and whether you are studying full-time or part-time. Generally, it takes 1-2 years to complete a Masters degree, but some programs may offer an accelerated track for students with a strong background in physics and mathematics.