Master+Doctoral at the same Uni save my time?

• Thread starter tanpi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time Uni
In summary, Choppy suggests that if you want to pursue a Ph.D. at a Canadian university, it's best to apply directly to the program. You have a better chance of being accepted if you have a master's degree from a recognized university, and you're likely to be financially supported in some way.
tanpi
As a result from my previous post:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=306199

I am wondering that if instead of applying into the Doctoral Program, I choose to repeat another Master Degree in one of the Canadian University and continue on the Doctoral Program at the same University. As an international student, here's the questions:

1. Will I be more likely to be accepted for admisssion? and during admission do I have a choice of specifying that I would like to do a Master Continuing on Doctoral?

2. Will I save sometimes in doing Master/Doctoral at the same University(completion in 4-5 years)?

3. will I be eligible for the RA/TAship or at least some partial scholarship to help with the tuition fee during my Doctoral Program(after completing Master there)?

4. During application am I allowed to apply for both program (Master/Doctoral) to improve my chance? or I have to apply twice and pay admission fee twice as well?

Thank you guys

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As usual, you have to check with the specific schools that you're interested in as I'm sure the policies vary on this kind of thing. In all the programs that I'm familiar with, if you're applying straight from undergrad, you are automatically placed in a master's program. Then, based on your performance in the first year and the recommendation of your supervisory committee, you may have the option of transferring directly into a Ph.D. program. Otherwise you complete the master's degree and then apply directly for a Ph.D. program.

1. I believe some schools will allow you to apply directly to either the M.Sc. or Ph.D. programs, but you have to be an exceptional candidate to be offered direct admission into the Ph.D. program. Again, check with the particular programs you're interested in.

2. It's difficult to say. If your Ph.D. becomes an extension of your M.Sc. work, you don't have as much of a learning curve to climb as if you start a different project and therefore you have the potential to finish sooner. The same would apply regardless of whether or not you go to a different school.

3. In Canada, most graduate students are financially supported in one way or another. Ph.D. students may get slightly more money.

4. I don't think it makes a difference - but again check with the specific school. I believe in general applicants seeking direct admission to a Ph.D. program are automatically considered for a master's program.

Thank you Choppy, your suggestion is very helpful. It really helps confirming my understanding of the academic system over there. I'm sure that I don't have to post another topic related to admission now. However, the next time I post, might be relating to the research area. Thank you.

Cheers :smile:

Related to Master+Doctoral at the same Uni save my time?

1. How long does it typically take to complete a Master's and Doctoral degree at the same university?

The time it takes to complete both a Master's and Doctoral degree at the same university can vary depending on the specific program and individual factors. On average, it can take anywhere from 4-7 years to complete both degrees. This is because the coursework and research requirements for a Doctoral degree are usually more extensive and time-consuming than a Master's degree.

2. Are there any benefits to completing both degrees at the same university?

There are several potential benefits to completing both a Master's and Doctoral degree at the same university. First, you may have access to resources and faculty members that are specific to your field of study. Additionally, you may be able to build strong relationships with faculty and peers, which can be beneficial for future research opportunities or job recommendations.

3. Can I transfer credits from my Master's degree to my Doctoral program at the same university?

This will depend on the policies of the specific university and program. Some universities may allow you to transfer a certain number of credits from your Master's degree towards your Doctoral program, while others may not. It is important to check with your academic advisor or the university's registrar's office for more information.

4. Will completing both degrees at the same university save me time and money?

In some cases, completing both degrees at the same university can save you time and money. This is because you may be able to waive certain requirements or have a reduced workload if you have already completed coursework or research for your Master's degree. However, this may not always be the case and it is important to carefully consider all factors before making a decision.

5. Are there any specific requirements or qualifications for pursuing both degrees at the same university?

The requirements and qualifications for pursuing both a Master's and Doctoral degree at the same university will vary depending on the program. Generally, you will need to meet the admission requirements for each program, which may include a certain GPA, standardized test scores, and letters of recommendation. It is important to research the specific requirements for each program before applying.