Marvel Universe Vibranium Question

• Thread starter tontot77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, Vibranium is a metal in the Marvel Universe that can absorb vibrations and kinetic energy, making it stronger as it absorbs more energy. This raises the question of whether someone could hit themselves with a hammer made of vibranium without feeling any impact. However, in comic book logic, it would likely still be fatal despite the supposed properties of vibranium.
tontot77
Comic book physics question: Vibranium (a metal which exists only in the Marvel Universe) possesses "the ability to absorb all vibrations in the vicinity as well as kinetic energy directed at it. The energy absorbed is stored within the bonds between the molecules that make up the substance. As a result, the more energy vibranium absorbs the tougher it becomes."

If I were to forge a hammer from vibranium and subsequently strike myself in the head with it with all the strength I could muster, would I feel a thing? Or would the entire impact be absorbed? If so, Black Panther has been missing out on some pretty entertaining party tricks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cap routinely throw the Frisbee, I mean shield, at people and things causing damage.

tontot77 said:
If I were to forge a hammer from vibranium and subsequently strike myself in the head with it with all the strength I could muster, would I feel a thing? Or would the entire impact be absorbed?

Knowing comic books, it will probably kill you, despite being a contradiction to how vibranium is described as working. Not that its description makes any sense of course...

Related to Marvel Universe Vibranium Question

1. What is Vibranium?

Vibranium is a fictional metal that exists in the Marvel Universe. It is known for its incredible strength, durability, and ability to absorb vibrations.

2. How is Vibranium obtained?

Vibranium is primarily found in the fictional African nation of Wakanda. It is obtained through mining and is a highly valuable resource for the Wakandan people.

3. What are the properties of Vibranium?

Vibranium has many unique properties, including being able to absorb and redirect kinetic energy, making it virtually indestructible. It is also known for its ability to enhance healing and technological advancements.

4. How is Vibranium used in the Marvel Universe?

Vibranium is used for a variety of purposes in the Marvel Universe. It is used to create advanced technology, such as Captain America's shield and Black Panther's suit. It is also used for medical purposes and as a power source.

5. Is Vibranium a real metal?

No, Vibranium is a fictional metal that exists only in the Marvel Universe. However, it is based on the real element vanadium, which is known for its strength and durability.