Major or minor -- Which do you find more pleasing?

In summary: I personally find minor chords as having a very resonant sound. Some find Major chords as being the more resonant (this group views minor chords as dissonant). Others prefer minor chords, also symphonies and songs set in minor keys. Timbre is an important factor in the overall sound and can depend on the composition and arrangement of different frequencies. Some favorite chords include diminished sevenths and 7th chords as transitions in triads. Certain songs, like "Do you know the way to San Jose" and the theme from "Superman" use these chords effectively. However, personal taste varies and there is no right or wrong answer when it comes to the most pleasing triad. Some prefer the complexity and experimentation of composers like Deb
fresh_42 said:
I looked it up. Thankfully, I found E-major for that one which I really love. Nowhere Man.
I have just been through it on YouTube. Yes E major BUT the minors make it! Actually a lot of things make it, harmony, George solo, middle section.
Lennon made use of his relative minors, F#m for the A then Am itself but with C in the bass which I didn't know he played it like that.

Likes fresh_42
Science news on Phys.org
Hornbein said:
There's Cannibal and the Headhunter's Land of a Thousand Dances. Is it major or minor? How about The Beatles' In My Life? Laura Branigan's disco hit Gloria?

The overwhelming majority of music sticks to a scale of seven or fewer notes. The few exceptions include The Beatles two main soundtrack albums and some of the melodies of Charlie Parker. His Anthropology might contain all twelve notes.

Then there's the music of east Asia which has more than twelve notes. In the West those notes are only sung by little children.
My life is in A major, the pretty part is major to minor D to DM.
I tried to learn the piano solo, a bit hard!

Gloria? That's a curve ball ! I'll check. EDIT. major although the intro is 1 5 repeat so can't tell till the rest comes in.
Similar chords to Nowhere Man, verse anyway.

Richie Blackmore used Asian scales in Mandrake Root 1970. Insane guitar solo.

Last edited:
@Hornbein This is in E major but the riffs are blues scales and the dominant chord is that satanic E7#9 that Jimi loved. Anyway Arabic scales and insanity at 8.40 the track is 17 minutes.

Jodo said:
Which triad sounds most pleasing to you?
[...]
No right or wrong answer here. I am just curious as to others views.
If it comes to choosing between just major and minor, and I am forced to choose, I would say major.
But really I think that some songs need major and some minor, and quite many need both (I mean different chords in the song).
So, I'd say, it depends on the song and what feeling(s) it is intended to convey.

By the way, here's a fun short clip where David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) quickly describes how he came up with the famous intro harmony to "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", and he also describes what feeling he got from it:

David Gilmour Talks About How He Found Shine On

• Love
  • Informative
Likes pinball1970 and Astronuc
DennisN said:
What's the problem? Is it "too many notes"? (see below :biggrin:)

Brilliant Film. I love Mozart but I am not keen on Opera at all so I miss out so much stuff.
The requiem though? Wow. I will put up a version. If it's not in a minor key I will be very surprised!

Likes DennisN
pinball1970 said:
The requiem though? Wow. I will put up a version. If it's not in a minor key I will be very surprised!
I was thinking of mentioning Requiem :smile: . It is ridiculously good.
Of course it's in minor, it's dark as the night :smile:.

Edit: I just checked on youtube, it's in D minor;

Mozart - Requiem in D minor (Complete/Full) [HD]

• Love
Likes Sagittarius A-Star, fresh_42 and pinball1970
Minor Bach

Minor Wagner

Likes DennisN and fresh_42
hutchphd said:
Minor Bach

When I saw the thumbnail I thought it would sound empty, piano so not peddle notes, wrong sound.
They managed to get through ok!

Likes hutchphd
The Bugs Bunny (and Elmer Fudd) cartoon "What's Opera Doc" has pretty much ruined Der Valkyrie for me......but worth it! (Also Elmer Fudd is not a raging antisemite )

hutchphd said:
(Also Elmer Fudd is not a raging antisemite )
Yes, that's a problem, but if Barenboim can conduct Wagner in Israel, then I can focus on the work, too, regardless of the fact that I would have hated him in real life. Ford was an antisemite, too. Yet millions of people drive their cars!

Likes hutchphd
DennisN said:
What's the problem? Is it "too many notes"? (see below :biggrin:)
Just for clarification, @fresh_42 , I didn't post the Amadeus clip to make fun of you :wink: . When I read your post about Mozart I instantly thought of that scene which I think is hilarious, it's one of my favorites, so I just had to post it :biggrin: .

(and the movie itself is also one of my personal favorites)

Likes fresh_42
DennisN said:
Just for clarification, @fresh_42 , I didn't post the Amadeus clip to make fun of you :wink: . When I read your post about Mozart I instantly thought of that scene which I think is hilarious, it's one of my favorites, so I just had to post it :biggrin: .

(and the movie itself is also one of my personal favorites)
No, problem, it is a beautiful piece of art. It's only that Mozart doesn't touch me as Beethoven or Tchaikovsky does.

Likes DennisN
fresh_42 said:
Beethoven or Tchaikovsky
Beethoven and Tchaikovsky are two of my absolute favorite composers, besides Bach.

• Love
Likes pinball1970 and fresh_42
How about the other diatonic modes? Lydian is more major than major (F to F on the white keys of a piano)

Mixolydian, G to G on the white keys, is less major than major

Dorian is less minor than minor (D to D on the white keys)

Phrygian, starting on E on the white keys, is darker than minor

Locrian is the odd duck, with a flattened 5th is the odd duck and does not show up except in some metal tunes

• Informative
Likes DennisN and pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
beautiful pieces in major keys! One sharp so G major.
Re: RVW

Likes pinball1970 and berkeman
Disco Inferno is about equally major and minor.

Hornbein said:
Disco Inferno is about equally major and minor.
yes just checked the chords.

ECHOs does the same thing but only with the verse for the same or very similar melody. Very effective.

Cold play used the same trick on Spies

W.A. Mozart - Mass In C Minor; K. 427, Kyrie ("Amadeus" Soundtrack)

• Love
Likes pinball1970 and DennisN
Confutatis Amadeus movie plus scrolling music score

• Love
Likes DennisN, pinball1970 and dlgoff
hutchphd said:
Minor Bach
I was trying to find a really good rock version, but I can't remember who did it.

Astronuc said:
I was trying to find a really good rock version, but I can't remember who did it.

Sky did a version in the 1980s. Very good musicians.

Astronuc said:

This?

Karl Richter spielt die TOCCATA UND FUGE D MOLL BWV 565 von J S Bach

Professor Fate (Jack Lemmon) "plays" the Toccata and Fugue in The Great Race (1965) :smile: :

Jodo said:
I personally find minor chords as having a very resonant sound. Some find Major chords as being the more resonant ( this group views minor chords as dissonant )
I think a great artist blends major and minor chords.

Take for example, the song/tune, Firth of Fifth, by Genesis (Tony Banks) from their 1973 album, "Selling England by the Pound".

Tony Banks was classically trained.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Banks_(musician)

Live version: Steve Hackett does a beautiful guitar solo considered one of the top solos in Progressive Rock.

An analysis by Doug Helvering of the studio version

• Love
Likes PeroK, DennisN and pinball1970
DennisN said:
Professor Fate (Jack Lemmon) "plays" the Toccata and Fugue in The Great Race (1965) :smile: :

1681332498808.jpeg

• Haha
Likes Algr, pinball1970, DennisN and 1 other person
In his first symphony, 3. movement, Gustav Mahler introduces "Frère Jacques" - but in minor! Not everybody is able to recognize the original...

Likes fresh_42
Svein said:
In his first symphony, 3. movement, Gustav Mahler introduces "Frère Jacques" - but in minor! Not everybody is able to recognize the original...
And they said that Tchaikovsky would have stolen from traditionals!

BWV said:

fresh_42 said:
I have heard about something similar in a guitar shop: "No smoke on the water!"

Yes, I recognize this too :smile:. It's one of the most common riffs guitar beginners learn.

Other common reoccuring songs are The House of the Rising Sun, Purple Haze (Jimi Hendrix) and Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana). I can play both the Toccata (on keyboard, though only the intro up to when the faster part starts) and Smoke On The Water (on guitar) and the Toccata is the more difficult one of these two.

I can play the other three riffs too, and if I list those five in order of difficulty I think I'd say the Toccata is the most difficult (because of the melody and the changes of speed of the notes):
  1. Toccata (not easy for beginners, there are definitely more easy songs for beginners on keyboard)
  2. Purple Haze (not particularly easy for beginners, you have to have played a while to manage it)
  3. The House of the Rising Sun (it is a bit tricky partly because it's in 3/4)
  4. Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana) (quite easy, though you need to know how to play chords)
  5. Smoke On The Water (very easy)
(1 = most difficult, 5 = least difficult)

Some more examples here: Forbidden Riffs In Guitar Stores (leftyfretz)

(note: I was a bit surprised Sweet Child O’ Mine (Guns ‘N Roses) was on the list. It is actually a quite tricky thing to play, because (1) it's originally played very high on the fretboard (i.e. tight frets) and (2) it may sound simple, but it is a quite tricky pattern to play. I can only play it slowly :smile:.)

Likes fresh_42
DennisN said:
Yes, I recognize this too :smile:. It's one of the most common riffs guitar beginners learn.

Other common reoccuring songs are The House of the Rising Sun, Purple Haze (Jimi Hendrix) and Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana). I can play both the Toccata (on keyboard, though only the intro up to when the faster part starts) and Smoke On The Water (on guitar) and the Toccata is the more difficult one of these two.

I can play the other three riffs too, and if I list those five in order of difficulty I think I'd say the Toccata is the most difficult (because of the melody and the changes of speed of the notes):
  1. Toccata (not easy for beginners, there are definitely more easy songs for beginners on keyboard)
  2. Purple Haze (not particularly easy for beginners, you have to have played a while to manage it)
  3. The House of the Rising Sun (it is a bit tricky partly because it's in 3/4)
  4. Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana) (quite easy, though you need to know how to play chords)
  5. Smoke On The Water (very easy)
(1 = most difficult, 5 = least difficult)

Some more examples here: Forbidden Riffs In Guitar Stores (leftyfretz)

(note: I was a bit surprised Sweet Child O’ Mine (Guns ‘N Roses) was on the list. It is actually a quite tricky thing to play, because (1) it's originally played very high on the fretboard (i.e. tight frets) and (2) it may sound simple, but it is a quite tricky pattern to play. I can only play it slowly :smile:.)
One of the issues is not getting sick of hearing the riff over and over (which must get annoying) but hearing it not being played quite right in lots of different ways.
It irritates the hell out of me and only go in these shops occasionally!

• Haha
Likes fresh_42 and DennisN
fresh_42 said:
This is the list I have found (most popular):

View attachment 324838
Drummers are just as bad, especially in sound check. Double BD players do the one lick they always do. Double snare, tom 1, tom 2 and 3 followed each time by double BD.
Single BD is always rock or that funk beat you learn at 14. Very annoying.

• Haha
Likes DennisN
Bassist wasn't paying attention during the session and asks the drummer:
"Hey, where are we?"
Answer:
"Why are you interested in that?"

On a football ground, there is a hundred bill on the kick-off point.
In the first corner is a bass player, in the second a saxophonist, in the third a drummer and in the fourth a drummer with timing.
Who will grab the hundred first?
the drummer, the sax player doesn't bend down for a hundred, bass players never move anyway, and there aren't any drummers with timing anyway.

Ok, I stop here. Seems we need a new thread.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970 and DennisN
pinball1970 said:
Single BD is always rock or that funk beat you learn at 14. Very annoying.
I just want to state for the record that I am absolutely terrible at drums. :oldlaugh:
And I've actually tried a bit to learn some drums, even from very good drummers I know (at least 3 :biggrin:).
But I ain't got it in me, I can't hold the tempo, unless it's a very, very simple beat.

I tried rehearsing drums to help a fellow band who hadn't a drummer at that moment.
But we gave up after an hour or so, I simply could not make it. :biggrin:

But I know how to program drum machines, that I've done quite a lot :smile:.

• Haha
Likes fresh_42 and pinball1970