Major choice - very confused,

In summary, the speaker is a third-year Engineering and Science student who is unsure about their career path. They are currently studying chemistry but are more interested in the physical aspects of the subject. They have also been reading physics and math textbooks and considering switching to a physics major. However, they are unsure if their university will allow them to switch and they are also considering pure or applied math. They are seeking advice on which path to choose between pure/applied math, physics, or engineering.
chipsandwich
Hello physicsforums, I'm currently an Engineering and Science student (3rd year at university), currently having doubts about just what I want to do with myself.

I'm currently studying chemistry, but have really only been making sense of the physical stuff. I got into QM, didn't like organic or inorganic too much. Chem courses don't really go into too much effort to really prove everything, which I wasn't really fond of. I've also found myself reading some physics and maths textbooks (QM, analysis, abstract algebra) and looking into the sorts of research that go on into those areas.

Basically, given that I liked physical chem, engineering and knowing stuff about maths, maybe I really should be doing physics. As far as unit requirements go, I really wouldn't have room to do anything else, and I'm not sure if my university would even let me do it considering my already completed credit. At the same time, I sort of doubt whether I really care about engineering. It has its good days and it has its bad days, you know? Sure, it's an easy path to a job, but I guess I've gotten a little too attached to science over the past couple of years. If I dropped eng. my first thought would be to double major in chem and phys and never look back - while I do find chem easy or trivial at times, it's still nice to be in the lab and do projects.

I've also been considering pure or applied maths, which I still have enough credit to complete. I'm not sure what applied entails, since I've been reading a bit more into pure, but any advice would be appreciated. My only concern is that, while I don't mind doing proofs and all that, I am perfectly aware that I'm probably never going to write another proof as soon as I finish, and most of the maths you need for chem/phys they already teach to you. I COULD do chemistry, maths AND engineering (I have enough credit points to complete all three), but I think that's just beating around the bush. But I'm not really sure, so that's why I'm asking you guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
So, if you had to choose between pure/applied maths, physics or engineering, which would it be and why?

Related to Major choice - very confused,

What factors should I consider when choosing a major?

When choosing a major, you should consider your interests, strengths, career goals, job market demand, and potential salary. It's important to choose a major that aligns with your passions and skills, but also has practical applications in the workforce.

What if I am interested in multiple majors?

If you are interested in multiple majors, it's important to research each one and see if there are any overlapping courses or opportunities. You can also speak with a career counselor or advisor to discuss your options and determine which major would be the best fit for you.

Will my choice of major determine my career path?

While your choice of major can have an influence on your career path, it does not necessarily determine it. Many people end up in careers that are not directly related to their major, and employers often value a diverse skill set and experiences. It's important to choose a major that you are passionate about and can help you develop a strong foundation of knowledge and skills.

What if I am still unsure about my major choice?

It's completely normal to feel uncertain about your major choice. You can explore different majors by taking elective courses, talking to professors and students in different departments, and participating in internships or job shadowing experiences. You can also seek guidance from a career counselor or advisor to help you make an informed decision.

Can I change my major?

Yes, you can change your major at any point during your academic career. It's important to speak with an advisor to understand the process and potential impact on your graduation timeline. Keep in mind that changing your major may also require you to complete additional courses or credits in order to fulfill the new major's requirements.