Magnetic Moment of a Charged, Rotating Sphere

In summary, the magnetic moment of a sphere is related to the angular momentum of the sphere and the charge on the sphere. The magnetic moment is computed by multiplying the current by the area enclosed by the current loop. The area used to compute the magnetic moment is the blue area in the figure. When locating the current loop, the radius of the circle that represents the current loop is not r, the radius of the sphere. The thickness of the slice used to calculate the current loop's area is not clear.
drumercalzone

Homework Statement

Show for a solid spherical ball of mass m rotating about an axis through its center with a charge q uniformly distributed on the surface of the ball that the magnetic moment [itex]\mu[/itex] is related to the angular momentum

[itex] \vec{\mu}={\frac{5q}{6mc}}\vec{L} [/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\mu = \frac{IA}{c}[/itex]

[itex]I_{sphere} = \frac{2mr^2}{5}
[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My initial thought was to think of the sphere as rings of charge, each of which is comprised of point particles of charge [itex] dq=\frac{q}{4{\pi}r^2} [/itex] which trace out current rings of area [itex] A={\pi}r^2 [/itex]. Then I could integrate dI w.r.t dr, but I got a factor of 1/4 instead of 5/6, making me think that I'm going about the integration the wrong way.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not all the rings have [itex]A = \pi r^2[/itex] - if they did, it would be a cylinder, not a sphere. See if that helps.

Okay, so for the area, I could integrate from 0->R twice to sum all the cross-sectional areas of the sphere:

[itex] A = \pi r^2 [/itex] therefore [itex] dA = 2{\pi}rdr [/itex]

and
[tex] A_{total}=2\int_0^R \! 2{\pi}rdr [/tex]

and [itex]A= 2{\pi}R^2 [/itex]

Now we have: [tex] \vec{\mu} = \frac{q}{T} \frac{2{\pi}R^2}{c} = \frac{q{\omega}}{2{\pi}} \frac{2{\pi}R^2}{c} = \frac{q{\omega}R^2}{c} \frac{m}{m}
[/tex]

Since the moment of inertia of a solid sphere is [itex]I_{sphere} = \frac{2mr^2}{5}
[/itex], we have [itex] \frac{5}{2} I_{sphere} [/itex] in the equation. It follows that:
[tex] \vec{\mu} = \frac{5}{2}I \frac{q{\omega}}{c} = \frac{5q}{2mc} {\vec{L}}[/tex]
But now I'm off by a factor of 1/3, so I still think I'm missing something in the integration...

I'm a little confused. I realize integration has to be done at some point, but isn't the surface area of the sphere 4 \pi r^{2} regardless of the charge?

blargh4fun said:
I'm a little confused. I realize integration has to be done at some point, but isn't the surface area of the sphere 4 \pi r^{2} regardless of the charge?

Originally I thought that surface area would come into play, but I think that since we're worried about Current Areas maybe not? I feel like there should be a dq in there somewhere. So maybe two integrals?

Ooh... I have to apologize because what I posted earlier doesn't actually make any sense. Not sure what I was thinking there :blushing:
drumercalzone said:
Okay, so for the area, I could integrate from 0->R twice to sum all the cross-sectional areas of the sphere:

[itex] A = \pi r^2 [/itex] therefore [itex] dA = 2{\pi}rdr [/itex]

and
[tex] A_{total}=2\int_0^R \! 2{\pi}rdr [/tex]

and [itex]A= 2{\pi}R^2 [/itex]

Now we have: [tex] \vec{\mu} = \frac{q}{T} \frac{2{\pi}R^2}{c} = \frac{q{\omega}}{2{\pi}} \frac{2{\pi}R^2}{c} = \frac{q{\omega}R^2}{c} \frac{m}{m}
[/tex]
I'm not really sure what you're doing here. You were right to think about splitting the sphere up into "slices" (individual current loops), but beyond that I think you might be confusing several different areas.

Let's think about the computation of the magnetic moment of a single current loop, which corresponds to a single slice of the sphere as shown in this picture:
sectioning.png

(the label got a little messed up, but [itex]\mathrm{d}a[/itex] is the blue area). There are two areas involved that you need to deal with:
  • Each current loop consists of a certain amount of charge [itex]\mathrm{d}q[/itex]. Since the charge is spread out over a surface, in order to find [itex]\mathrm{d}q[/itex], you need to multiply the surface charge density by the surface area over which the charge is spread. For one "slice"/current loop, the area to use for this is [itex]\mathrm{d}a[/itex], the blue area, as shown in the figure. (I'm using lowercase a to avoid confusion)
  • In order to find the magnetic moment of the current loop, you will need to multiply the current by the area enclosed by the current. Since the current runs around the edge of the "slice" of the sphere, you need the area of the slice, designated [itex]A[/itex] in the picture. Note that the radius of this circle is not [itex]r[/itex], the radius of the sphere.
See if that enables you to find the current of a single "slice" [itex]\mathrm{d}I[/itex], the enclosed area [itex]A[/itex], and from that the magnetic moment of the slice [itex]\mathrm{d}\mu[/itex]. Once you do that, you can integrate it to get the total magnetic moment of the sphere.

Bah. I don't know why this is eluding me.
Here's where I am now:

[tex]dq= \frac{q}{4{\pi}r^2}da , da=2{\pi}rdr [/tex]

therefore:

[tex] dq = \frac{q}{2r}dr [/tex]

(Here r is the radius of the slice, I'll use R for radius of the sphere).
However I don't think that I have my da right. What's the "thickness" of the slice that gives me my "d" term? Do I need to do this in terms of [itex]\theta[/itex] and hope that it cancels out?

Then if I try to find A (area enclosed by the loop) I have:

[tex]A={\pi}r^2 , dA = 2{\pi}rdr[/tex]

However this is the same as my da used to find q, and that can't be right...

Sorry for being so slow on this one! It's always the math that gets me, not the physics.

drumercalzone said:
[tex]dq= \frac{q}{4{\pi}r^2}da , da=2{\pi}rdr [/tex]
(Here r is the radius of the slice, I'll use R for radius of the sphere).
Think carefully about which radius you need to use in each case. One of them is wrong.
drumercalzone said:
However I don't think that I have my da right. What's the "thickness" of the slice that gives me my "d" term? Do I need to do this in terms of [itex]\theta[/itex] and hope that it cancels out?
Yes, you need to express it in terms of [itex]\mathrm{d}\theta[/itex]. Don't worry about stuff canceling out just yet.

Related to Magnetic Moment of a Charged, Rotating Sphere

1. What is the concept of magnetic moment in a charged, rotating sphere?

The magnetic moment of a charged, rotating sphere is a measure of the strength of its magnetic field. It is defined as the product of the charge and the distance between the center of the sphere and the axis of rotation.

2. How is the magnetic moment of a charged, rotating sphere calculated?

The magnetic moment of a charged, rotating sphere can be calculated using the formula μ = qωr^2, where q is the charge of the sphere, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the sphere.

3. What is the relationship between the magnetic moment and the angular velocity of a charged, rotating sphere?

The magnetic moment of a charged, rotating sphere is directly proportional to the angular velocity. This means that as the angular velocity increases, the magnetic moment also increases, and vice versa.

4. How does the magnetic moment of a charged, rotating sphere affect its behavior in a magnetic field?

The magnetic moment of a charged, rotating sphere determines how it interacts with an external magnetic field. When placed in a magnetic field, the sphere will experience a torque, causing it to align with the direction of the magnetic field.

5. Can the magnetic moment of a charged, rotating sphere be changed?

Yes, the magnetic moment of a charged, rotating sphere can be changed by altering the charge, angular velocity, or radius of the sphere. It can also be changed by placing the sphere in an external magnetic field, which can align or de-align the magnetic moment with the field.