Magnetic field of a long curent carrying tube

In summary: If the second option would have been 2) B1 ≠ B2 = B3 , then I would have to choose between option 1) and 2) . I need some argument to believe that the magnetic field at 2 would have been equal to 1 and 3 . So how would I deal with the current flowing through the conical part B ?.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

conductor tube.jpeg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To calculate magnetic field at 1 and 3 current flowing through sections A and C can be assumed as if current is flowing in a long straight wire along the dotted line . Now since the current and distances are same for 1 and 3 , B1 = B3 .There is only one such option i.e option 1) which is indeed the correct answer .

This left me thinking , what if the second option would have been 2) B1 ≠ B2 = B3 .Then I would have to choose between option 1) and 2) . I need some argument to believe that the magnetic field at 2 would have been equal to 1 and 3 . So how would I deal with the current flowing through the conical part B ?

Attachments

• conductor tube.jpeg
    conductor tube.jpeg
    32.2 KB · Views: 703
Physics news on Phys.org
Jahnavi said:
. So how would I deal with the current flowing through the conical part B ?
Have you studied Ampere's circuital law?
(Before that, what can you say about the currents at A, B and C?)

Likes Charles Link and Jahnavi
cnh1995 said:
(Before that, what can you say about the currents at A, B and C?)

Currents are same .

cnh1995 said:
Have you studied Ampere's circuital law?

You are right . This calls for Ampere's Law .Assuming a circular loop around the conical part , I was actually thinking about some sound reasoning as to why we could take magnetic field B out of the integral .

Two things I need to reason .

1) Direction of magnetic field

2) Is magnetic field constant around the loop .

I think I need to exploit some symmetry arguments .

@Jahnavi I looked at this one, and I think @cnh1995 has a good answer. Ampere's law is really sufficient for this one, even though the conic section disrupts the symmetry. I do think some lengthy symmetry arguments involving Biot-Savart's law might show that ## B_1=B_2=B_3 ##. On the other hand, there is a current feeding into the center, and in general any time there is a current, there is generally a magnetic field from it. Does the contribution from the current that is moving radially inward have zero magnetic field everywhere? I'm not completely sure, but the question is really far more advanced than I think was intended where they simply want you to apply Ampere's law. Ampere's law has ## \oint \vec{B} \cdot d \vec{l} ## with a dot product, so it gives no information about a component of ## \vec{B} ## that could potentially exist perpendicular to ## d \vec{l} ##, i.e. in the forward direction. ## \\ ## It's an interesting question, but giving a conclusive answer to whether this cone might create a small additional magnetic field does not seem to have an obvious answer.

Likes Jahnavi and cnh1995
Consider a circular loop around the conductor .It might be through point 1 , 2 or 3 .

Now consider any two points on this circular path . For both the points , the conductor as well as current will look like same . This means magnitude of magnetic field has to be equal at each point of the circular path and the direction has to be tangential at each point of the path . From this simple argument we can take B out of the integral in the Ampere's Law . Now , when we calculate the magnetic field it will be equal at 1 , 2 and 3 .

@Charles Link what do you think ?

Jahnavi said:
Consider a circular loop around the conductor .It might be through point 1 , 2 or 3 .

Now consider any two points on this circular path . For both the points , the conductor as well as current will look like same . This means magnitude of magnetic field has to be equal at each point of the circular path and the direction has to be tangential at each point of the path . From this simple argument we can take B out of the integral in the Ampere's Law . Now , when we calculate the magnetic field it will be equal at 1 , 2 and 3 .

@Charles Link what do you think ?
Ampere's law only gives the ## \vec{B} \cdot d \vec{l} ## component. I'm not convinced there is no ## \hat{z} ## component, especially for case 2, but taking on such a task to determine whether such a component might exist, I think, is a very formidable task.

Jahnavi said:
... Now since the current and distances are same for 1 and 3 , B1 = B3 .There is only one such option i.e option 1) which is indeed the correct answer .

... if the second option would have been 2) B1 ≠ B2 = B3 .Then I would have to choose between option 1) and 2) . ...
Not what you asked, but B1=B3 means B1 ≠ B2 = B3 is false and you're back to the first option.

Likes Jahnavi
Charles Link said:
Ampere's law only gives the ## \vec{B} \cdot d \vec{l} ## component.

From symmetry , haven't we argued that B is tangential at all points of the circular path ?

Jahnavi said:
From symmetry , haven't we argued that B is tangential at all points of the circular path ?
The cone disrupts the symmetry in the ## \hat{z} ## direction. There is still ## \phi ## symmetry, but not the ## \hat{z} ## symmetry. For a single long wire carrying a current, the Biot-Savart equation (with z anti-symmetry) is actually needed (edit: or can be used) to show ## B_z=0 ## ## \\ ## (Alternatively, all the current is in the z-direction for a single wire with no cone, so ## \vec{B} ## must be perpendicular to ## J_z \hat{z} ## . With a cone, you start introducing ## J_x ## and ## J_y ##. And I don't know what the precise answer is. The component ## B_{\phi} ## remains the same, but I can't immediately rule out the possibility of a ## B_z ## component).

Last edited:
Merlin3189 said:
Not what you asked, but B1=B3 means B1 ≠ B2 = B3 is false and you're back to the first option.

Nice !

Thanks .

What if option was B1= B3 ≠ B2 ?

No problem then.

But I'll have to leave it to others to show what B2 is.

Related to Magnetic field of a long curent carrying tube

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force that surrounds a magnet or a current-carrying wire. It is created by the movement of electrically charged particles, such as electrons.

2. What is a long current-carrying tube?

A long current-carrying tube is a cylindrical tube through which an electric current flows. It is typically made of a conductive material, such as copper, and can be used to transfer electricity over long distances.

3. How is a magnetic field created by a long current-carrying tube?

The magnetic field around a long current-carrying tube is created by the circular motion of the electric charges within the tube. As the charges move, they create a magnetic field that surrounds the tube.

4. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field in a long current-carrying tube?

The strength of the magnetic field in a long current-carrying tube is affected by the magnitude of the current, the distance from the tube, and the material of the tube. The greater the current, the closer the distance, and the more conductive the material, the stronger the magnetic field will be.

5. How is the direction of the magnetic field determined in a long current-carrying tube?

The direction of the magnetic field in a long current-carrying tube can be determined by using the right-hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the current, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field lines around the tube.