Biot-Savart-Law Superposition

LeoJakob
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
For the following conductor loop, determine the magnetic field along the ##z##-axis, which passes through the center of the conductor loop and is perpendicular to it.
The conductor loop consists of an infinitely long wire through which a constant current ##I## runs.
Is it possible to determine the magnetic fields in the different sections ## \vec B_i## with ## i \in \{ 1,2,3 \}## and then calculate the total field by ## \vec B= \sum \limits_{i=1}^3 \vec B_i##?

superposition.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.
Is this homework ?

LeoJakob said:
... determine the magnetic field along the z-axis, ...
At all points on the z-axis, or at the origin in the direction of the z-axis ?

Segments 1 and 3 are in line with the z-axis. Apply the right-hand rule.
What direction will the field from segments 1 and 3 be on the z-axis ?

What is the field on the central axis of a circle ?
What is the field on the central axis of a semicircle ?

Likes LeoJakob
Thank you ! :)

It is an exercise to solve for the upcoming exams:

-segment 1 and 2 produce the same magnetic field at a point on the z axis
- a whole circle on the central x-axis would create a magnetic field that points only in the z-direction because of the radial symmetry
- a semicircle
on the central x-axis would create a magnetic field that points only in the z- and y-direction because the contributions on the x-axis cancel out

Related to Biot-Savart-Law Superposition

What is the Biot-Savart Law Superposition?

The Biot-Savart Law Superposition is a principle in electromagnetism that describes how the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire can be calculated by summing the contributions of all the individual current elements along the wire.

How is the Biot-Savart Law Superposition different from the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law Superposition is an extension of the original Biot-Savart Law, which only applies to simple, straight current-carrying wires. The Superposition principle allows us to calculate the magnetic field for more complex geometries by breaking them down into simpler components and summing their contributions.

What are the key assumptions of the Biot-Savart Law Superposition?

The key assumptions of the Biot-Savart Law Superposition include the current flowing in a closed loop, the current elements being infinitesimally small, and the magnetic field being calculated at a point outside the current-carrying wire.

How is the Biot-Savart Law Superposition used in practice?

The Biot-Savart Law Superposition is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the magnetic field produced by current-carrying wires in various configurations. This is particularly useful in designing electromagnets, transformers, and other devices that rely on magnetic fields.

What are some limitations of the Biot-Savart Law Superposition?

Some limitations of the Biot-Savart Law Superposition include the assumption of steady currents, neglecting the effects of magnetic materials, and the complexity of calculations for non-trivial geometries. Additionally, the Superposition principle may not be accurate in cases where the magnetic field is significantly affected by nearby magnetic materials or changing currents.