Luke And Leia Ageing In Star Wars

In summary, this article does not make any actual scientific claims. It is based on assumptions and incorrect use of principles.
_PJ_
I read an article

https://physics.le.ac.uk/journals/index.php/pst/article/view/716/516
that suggested graduate students (or higher) had actually bothered to 'calculate' the dilation effects on Luke Skywalker and Leia from Star Wars to show how they, whilst born as twins, could not be the same age due to differing dilation effects.

Now whilst I can completely agree with the premise, it is common sense and a logical deduction. I just cannot understand how the rest of the paper could be considered at all 'scientific' even given the events and planets etc. in Star Wars (including capability of 'hyperspace travel') are accepted.

My main disagreements come from the following points:
1) Dilation effects on timelines would be countered somewhat with the general relativistic impacts of accelerating and decelerating. This is completely ignored in the paper.
2) There are absolutely no references to the masses of planets, distances between them, or actual duration spent in any location. Without any actual numbers even to make a reasonable estimate, there is nothing to base the 'calculations' on. The whole thing is unscientific.
3) Completely wrong use of principles and neglect to consider physical laws fully as explained below:

There is a reference to "Bespin" 'Cloud City' which assumes Bespin, being a Gas Giant, must have a greater gravitational strength than "Tattooine", a rocky planet with only two significant centres of civilisation. No argument there, HOWEVER - it is then suggested that the greater gravity would cause a greater slowing of time. This would be true if the distance at which the gravity acted was equivalent, however, the motions and rock formations and healthy musculature and breathing of those on "Tattooine" suggest a very similar to Earth 1G resultant gravitational field strength and 1atm atmospheric pressure.
The same, when on the High-Altitude, FLOATING 'Cloud City' which is clearly high enough to provide an equivalent 1G combination of gravitational field strength and 1atm atmospheric pressure.
Therefore, any time dilation would be EQUIVALENT for both parties.

One twin is said in the paper to be 'on the surface of a gas giant' which is ludicrous and utterly inaccurate.

Physics news on Phys.org
_PJ_ said:
Therefore, any time dilation would be EQUIVALENT for both parties.
Time dilation does not depend on the local gravitational acceleration. It depends on how deep in the gravity well you are. For a larger planet, with the same local gravitational acceleration, you are deeper down in the gravity well.

Anyway, the article seems to be quite pointless. A different distance at a different speed leads to a different time dilation. How surprising? Given the setting of Star Wars, travel happens faster than the speed of light anyway.

The "variable aging" I was wondering about was with Anakin Skywalker and Padme. He is nine years old and she is, what, sixteen or seventeen? So she is seven or eight years older than he is- but when he becomes a Jedi, suddenly the age difference is not so large!

Likes Terrell
HallsofIvy said:
The "variable aging" I was wondering about was with Anakin Skywalker and Padme. He is nine years old and she is, what, sixteen or seventeen? So she is seven or eight years older than he is- but when he becomes a Jedi, suddenly the age difference is not so large!
i was about to say the same thing! padme traveled so much as senator at light speed so she didn't age LOL

Related to Luke And Leia Ageing In Star Wars

1. How old are Luke and Leia in Star Wars?

Luke and Leia were both born at the end of the Clone Wars, making them approximately 19 years old at the start of the original Star Wars film.

2. How much time passes between the original Star Wars trilogy and the sequel trilogy?

The original trilogy spans over a period of about 4 years, while the sequel trilogy takes place approximately 30 years after the events of the original trilogy.

3. Why do Luke and Leia appear to age differently in the Star Wars films?

Luke and Leia are twins, but they were separated at birth and raised in different environments. This could account for any perceived differences in their physical appearances.

4. How old are Luke and Leia in the sequel trilogy?

In the sequel trilogy, Luke and Leia are both in their 50s, as approximately 30 years have passed since the original trilogy.

5. How does the Force affect the ageing process in Star Wars?

The Force does not directly affect the ageing process in Star Wars. However, some Force users, such as Yoda, have been known to live longer lives due to their connection to the Force and their ability to maintain their physical and mental health through the Force.