LOTR 25th Anniv Box Set: Value & Condition

In summary, the Latin one might be worth 25 bucks, the Newton's book might be worth nothing, and the Tolkien book might be worth 10,000 dollars.
Physics is Phun
lets say I had a 25th anniversary box set of LOTR in mint condition, would they be worth anything?

Physics news on Phys.org
See if someone is selling that set on eBay. These days, eBay sets the price.

Probably not.
I've got a mint first edition of Newton's "Principia Mathematica", and that is hardly worth anything.

arildno said:
Probably not.
I've got a mint first edition of Newton's "Principia Mathematica", and that is hardly worth anything.

The Latin one? I might give you 25 bucks for it.

selfAdjoint said:
The Latin one? I might give you 25 bucks for it.
I'll think about it.

can anyone find the 50th anniversary for sale from an actual bookstore, (online). It's the blue hardcover leatherbound edition

arildno said:
Probably not.
Ooooh :-p

By first edition you mean printed in 1687?

From what I have learned from my in-laws who are collectors/antiquers, the only real valued books are first run printings. You can have a first edition, but not a first printing. It gets tricky. There are people who specialize in book appraisal. You might try to hunt one down on-line and see if they can give you a rough ball park figure.

lol, i don't think a first edition is is my price range :P

Unless this was a very limited printing, I doubt it. LOTR has simply sold too many copies and it's hard to believe that any edition is all that rare unless the publisher intentionally made it that way.

loseyourname said:
Unless this was a very limited printing, I doubt it. LOTR has simply sold too many copies and it's hard to believe that any edition is all that rare unless the publisher intentionally made it that way.

http://www.oddvolumesunited.com/appraisals.html

Again, I think you need to look around. Look at the very top in bold:
Another lucky book owner found his signed paperback Tolkien - "The Lord of the Rings" appraised at $10,000. Do you own a book treasure?
Granted, this was signed, but a first printing might be valuable as well.

I have no idea if they are legit, but how can you turn down such a thoughtful looking individual?

http://www.oddvolumesunited.com/art/appraise.gif

Related to LOTR 25th Anniv Box Set: Value & Condition

1. What is the value of the LOTR 25th Anniv Box Set?

The value of the LOTR 25th Anniv Box Set can vary depending on its condition and any special features it may have. On average, a complete set in good condition can range from $100 to $200, but limited edition or rare versions can be worth much more.

2. How can I determine the condition of the box set?

The condition of the box set can be determined by examining the physical appearance of the books, box, and any additional items included. Look for any signs of wear or damage, such as torn pages, scratches, or dents. It is also important to check if all the original components are present.

3. Is the value of the box set affected by the edition or printing?

Yes, the edition and printing can affect the value of the box set. First editions or limited editions are often more valuable to collectors. Additionally, if the box set is a later printing, it may not hold as much value as an earlier printing.

4. Are there any specific features or details that can increase the value of the box set?

Yes, there are certain features or details that can increase the value of the box set. These can include signed copies, special illustrations or maps, or first edition, first printing copies. Limited edition or collector's edition box sets can also be more valuable.

5. How should I store and preserve my LOTR 25th Anniv Box Set?

The best way to store and preserve your box set is to keep it in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight and moisture. It is also important to handle the books with clean hands to prevent any damage or stains. If possible, keep the box set in its original packaging or a protective cover to prevent any wear or tear.