Lorenz velocity transformation

In summary, the particles in a high energy accelerator experiment are approaching each other at a speed of 0.9520c in the lab frame. Using the addition of velocities formula, the magnitude of the velocity of one particle relative to the other is found to be 0.99879c. It is important to note that in this problem, the lab frame is actually the primed frame and one particle is at rest in the unprimed frame.
ProPatto16

Homework Statement

the particles in a high energy accelerator experiment are approaching each other head on, each with speed of 0.9520c as measured in laboratory. what is the magnitude of the velocity of one particle relative to the other?

Homework Equations

vx = vx' + u / 1 + (uvx' / c2)

The Attempt at a Solution

i can't work out the variables.

the two reference frames are:
1. the lab
2. one of the particles

but that means vx = 0.

so I am lost..

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ProPatto16! :smile:

Using the example of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addition_of_Velocities_Formula" , one particle is the shore, the ship is the lab, and the other particle is the fly :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
You might be getting confused because you're assuming the lab is the unprimed frame, like it usually is in other relativity problems. In this problem, though, it's the primed frame.

Code:
                       vx'
1--->        L        <---2

u           vx
1        <---L      <-----2

do you get v of particle one to particle 2 to be 0.99879c?

yeah that part did catch me out. i assumed the first reference frame was lab at rest. but its actually particle 1 at rest with lab approaching at 0.9520c right?

Yup, I got the same answer.

thanks. i don't have the open mind i need for relativity. i just need the question set up for me than I am right

Related to Lorenz velocity transformation

1. What is the Lorenz velocity transformation?

The Lorenz velocity transformation is a mathematical formula used to relate the velocities measured in one reference frame to those measured in another reference frame that is moving at a constant velocity relative to the first frame. It was developed by the physicist Hendrik Lorentz in 1904 as part of his theory of relativity.

2. How does the Lorenz velocity transformation work?

The formula takes into account the relative velocity between the two frames, as well as the speed of light, to calculate the transformed velocities. It also accounts for the difference in time between the two frames due to time dilation. The transformed velocities are used to reconcile differences in measurements of velocity between the two frames.

3. What is the significance of the Lorenz velocity transformation?

The Lorenz velocity transformation is an important aspect of Einstein's theory of special relativity. It helps to explain the concept of time dilation and the relativity of simultaneity, where two events that appear simultaneous in one frame of reference may not be simultaneous in another frame. It also has practical applications in fields such as physics, astronomy, and engineering.

4. Are there any limitations to the Lorenz velocity transformation?

While the Lorenz velocity transformation is a useful tool for understanding the effects of relativity, it does have its limitations. It only applies to objects moving at constant velocities and does not work for objects that are accelerating. It also does not take into account the effects of gravity, which are addressed in Einstein's theory of general relativity.

5. How is the Lorenz velocity transformation used in scientific research?

The Lorenz velocity transformation is commonly used in various fields of research, such as astronomy, particle physics, and cosmology. It is used to calculate the velocities of objects in different reference frames, which helps scientists to understand the behavior of objects traveling at high speeds or in different gravitational fields. It has also been used in experiments to confirm the predictions of Einstein's theory of relativity.