Lorentz’s law of voltage for ac-generator

In summary, the conversation revolved around solving two problems, 21 and 22, related to Lorentz's law of voltage. The individual managed to solve problem 22 using the equation E = NAB(2pi * f) and suspects that problem 21 may be a typo, possibly referring to Lenz's Law. They discuss the similarities between the two equations and the confusion surrounding problem 21.
loki4000

Homework Statement

Greetings
So i was trying to solve following prolems:

2qsma8o.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did manage to solve problem 22 using
E = NAB(2pi * f)
E = (100)(0.005)(0.9)(2pi)(50) = 141.372 v

But I have no idea what to do with problem 21. Mostly because I don't know what Lorentz’s law of voltage is.
I am aware that there is law for lorenz Force, but it require stuff like length, drift velocity and other data not given in problem. Not to mention that I do not need Force, I need Voltage.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what Lorentz’s law of voltage is.
I suspect the author has made a typo. Could he be referring to Lenz's Law?

Simon Bridge said:
I suspect the author has made a typo. Could he be referring to Lenz's Law?

I don't know. I suppose that is possible, since I never heard before about Lorentz’s law of voltage.

Does the question come from a textbook?

Simon Bridge said:
Does the question come from a textbook?
No, just screensot from unknown book our lecturer send us before goin to easter holiday. No details,sadly.

Anyway, since google does not find anying about Lorentz’s law of voltage it can indeed be a typo. However, from what I can see, Lenz's Law = E=-N (dФ/dt) or emf = -(loopsofwire)(magnetic flow over some area, per time).
This is looking fairly similar to my solution or problem 22. And, from my understanding, Lenz's Law is part of Faraday law.
So I guess I already solve it using Lenz's Law in problem 22, it's problem 21 that confuse me.

Related to Lorentz’s law of voltage for ac-generator

1. What is Lorentz's law of voltage for AC-generator?

Lorentz's law of voltage for AC-generator is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that explains the relationship between the magnetic field and the induced voltage in an alternating current (AC) generator.

2. How does Lorentz's law of voltage for AC-generator work?

According to this law, when a conductor moves through a magnetic field, an electric current is induced in the conductor. In an AC generator, the conductor is rotated continuously in the magnetic field, resulting in a constantly changing magnetic flux and thus, an alternating current.

3. What factors affect the voltage generated by an AC-generator according to Lorentz's law?

The voltage generated by an AC-generator depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of the conductor, and the angle between the magnetic field and the conductor's motion. Additionally, the number of turns in the conductor and the size of the coil also play a role in determining the induced voltage.

4. How is Lorentz's law of voltage for AC-generator important in practical applications?

Lorentz's law of voltage for AC-generator is the basis for the operation of many electrical devices, including power generators, motors, transformers, and induction cooktops. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the principles of electromagnetic induction, which is used in various technologies such as wireless charging and magnetic levitation.

5. Is Lorentz's law of voltage for AC-generator applicable to DC generators as well?

Yes, Lorentz's law of voltage is applicable to both AC and DC generators. However, in DC generators, the induced voltage is constant as the magnetic field and the conductor's motion do not change, unlike in AC generators where the voltage fluctuates due to the continuously rotating conductor.