Calculating the induced voltage

In summary: The magnetic flux changes when the area changes. If the rod is not moving, the area is fixed and the magnetic flux is constant. If the rod moves, the area changes and the magnetic flux changes.In summary, the conductor moving at a speed of 2.5 m/s in a uniform magnetic field of 1.2 T will result in a voltage induced in the rod. The voltage can be calculated using the equation E = vBL sin(theta). The angle between the velocity vector and the magnetic field is important in determining the voltage. The concept of a closed loop is important in understanding Faraday's Law and the change in magnetic flux. The area of the loop changes as the
Biker

Homework Statement

Excuse me for the bad drawing:
A conductor moving with a speed of 2.5 m/s in an uniform magnetic field (1.2 T) as declared in the picture below. Calculate the voltage induced in the rod.
pJe6VsG.png

Homework Equations

E = vBL
W = F d cos[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

The resulting magnetic force in the -y direction and now I just need to find the voltage
## E = \frac{qvBL sin(\theta)}{q} ##
which is
## E = vBL sin(\theta) ##
## E = 2.54567 \text{volts} ##

The same book gave me an answer without considering sin(theta). The problem that book has some pretty good ideas sometimes and for the easy questions I usually find mistakes.

It even asked me to substitute E in faradays law to get the change in magnetic flux which makes no sense because it is not a closed loop

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If B is out of the page (z axis) why does the angle matter?

CWatters said:
If B is out of the page (z axis) why does the angle matter?
But when you find the force which is
## F = qvB## it is pointing downward in the -y direction
So I can't just find the work by multiplying the force times the distance.
instead I use this
## W = F d cos(90-37)## which is equivalent to
## W = Fd sin(37) ##
Then I can find the voltage

Ok have a think about this..

The voltage depends three things (at least these three)...

1)The direction of the B field
2)The angle of the rod in relation to the B field
and
3)The direction the rod is moving in relation to the B field

If I keep those things the same but change the coordinate system the voltage shouldn't change right?

So in the drawing below I have changed/moved the axis only. I've not changed any of those three things that effect the voltage. However the angle wrt the x-axis has changed, it's not 37 degrees anymore but the voltage should be the same right?.
B field.png

I know that the magnetic force depend on the angle between the velocity vector and the magnetic field. I didn't use the angle in F = qvB sin theta
because theta is always 90 in this situation but I have used it in finding the voltage
The red arrow represents the force, The orange arrow represents the vector of the length and the angle between them is 90-37 degrees
Now W = F d cos theta
W = F L cos (90-37)
W = F L sin(37)
W = qvBL sin(37)

E = (qvBL sin(37))/q
E = vBL sin37

I don't care about the component of the magnetic force that creates a voltage across the thickness of the wire, All I care about is the component of the force that is parallel to the length of the rod

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes ok I think you are correct.

Likes Biker
CWatters said:
Yes ok I think you are correct.
Thank you CWatters :D

It even asked me to substitute E in faradays law to get the change in magnetic flux which makes no sense because it is not a closed loop[/QUOTE]

Faraday's Law states that the induced emf in a closed loop is ## E=-dΦ/dt ## where Φ is the flux across the area enclosed by the loop.
The loop does not need to be "real", made of wire. It means that bringing a unit positive charge round the loop, you need work equal to E in magnitude.
If you feel uncomfortable with a mathematical loop, you can imagine that you add wires and a voltmeter, to make a physical loop.
In your problem, imagine that the rod slides on two rails, and there is a voltmeter connected across the rails some distance away. The rod and the rails and the voltmeter make a closed loop. The area of the loop changes as the rod moves on the rails.
upload_2016-10-14_9-35-2.png

The magnetic field is perpendicular to the page. How much does the flux change in one second? It is the area of the shaded region multiplied by B.

ehild said:
It even asked me to substitute E in faradays law to get the change in magnetic flux which makes no sense because it is not a closed loop

Faraday's Law states that the induced emf in a closed loop is ## E=-dΦ/dt ## where Φ is the flux across the area enclosed by the loop.
The loop does not need to be "real", made of wire. It means that bringing a unit positive charge round the loop, you need work equal to E in magnitude.
If you feel uncomfortable with a mathematical loop, you can imagine that you add wires and a voltmeter, to make a physical loop.
In your problem, imagine that the rod slides on two rails, and there is a voltmeter connected across the rails some distance away. The rod and the rails and the voltmeter make a closed loop. The area of the loop changes as the rod moves on the rails.
View attachment 107435

The magnetic field is perpendicular to the page. How much does the flux change in one second? It is the area of the shaded region multiplied by B.
Yea, I am familiar with the moving rod example.

Hmm, So you say that for every situation you can make a mathematical loop that behaves the same as if you just use lorentz force right?
The question is then asking if you were to form a loop what would the change in flux be right?

I wonder what a loop with A = 0 will look like :/

Biker said:
Yea, I am familiar with the moving rod example.

Hmm, So you say that for every situation you can make a mathematical loop that behaves the same as if you just use lorentz force right?
The question is then asking if you were to form a loop what would the change in flux be right?

I wonder what a loop with A = 0 will look like :/
The loop changes because of the moving rod. The other parts of the loop are stationary. The change of area is the area swept by the moving rod.
If you connect the ends of the rod with a wire of equal length of the rod, they enclose zero area.

Likes Biker

Related to Calculating the induced voltage

1. How is induced voltage calculated?

Induced voltage can be calculated using Faraday's law of induction, which states that the magnitude of induced voltage is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through a circuit.

2. What factors affect the magnitude of induced voltage?

The magnitude of induced voltage is affected by factors such as the magnetic field strength, the number of turns in the coil, and the rate of change of magnetic flux.

3. Can induced voltage be negative?

Yes, induced voltage can be negative if the magnetic flux through the circuit is decreasing. This is because the direction of the induced voltage is determined by the direction of the change in magnetic flux.

4. How is the direction of induced voltage determined?

The direction of induced voltage is determined by Lenz's law, which states that the induced voltage will always be in a direction that opposes the change in magnetic flux through the circuit.

5. What is the unit of induced voltage?

The unit of induced voltage is volts (V). This is the same unit as electric potential difference or electromotive force, as induced voltage can also be seen as a type of electric force.