Lord of the Rings: an allegory of the PhD

• Thread starter jma2001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd Rings
In summary, a blogger shared a funny post about the stress of grad school applications and the possibility of having to submit a finger with a thesis. The conversation also acknowledges the humor and provides a reminder that the process should be taken with a grain of salt.
jma2001
Gold Member
Those of you stressing over grad school should read this ... funny stuff. (I am not the author, by the way, I just found it amusing).

http://www.livejournal.com/users/capthek/224706.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does this mean i'll have to submit a finger with my thesis?

Haha, thanks for sharing this! As someone who is currently stressing over grad school applications, this definitely gave me a good laugh. It's always nice to have some humor injected into the process. Plus, it's a good reminder that at the end of the day, it's just school and not the end of the world if things don't go exactly as planned. Thanks for brightening my day!

Related to Lord of the Rings: an allegory of the PhD

1. What is the main thesis of "Lord of the Rings: an allegory of the PhD"?

The main thesis of "Lord of the Rings: an allegory of the PhD" is that J.R.R. Tolkien's epic novel can be interpreted as a metaphor for the journey of pursuing a PhD degree.

2. How does the character of Frodo represent the PhD student?

Frodo, as the protagonist of the story, represents the PhD student on their journey towards completing their degree. He faces many challenges and obstacles, but ultimately perseveres and completes his mission.

3. What are some examples of how the different races in Middle Earth can be compared to the academic community?

The hobbits, with their love for simple pleasures and aversion to change, can be seen as undergraduates. The elves, with their wisdom and long lifespan, can be compared to professors. The dwarves, with their love for knowledge and crafts, can represent researchers. And the humans, with their ambition and desire for power, can be seen as administrators.

4. How is the quest to destroy the One Ring similar to the process of writing a dissertation?

Just like how Frodo must overcome many challenges and temptations on his journey to destroy the One Ring, a PhD student must also navigate through obstacles and distractions while working on their dissertation. Both require determination, perseverance, and a strong support system.

5. What is the significance of the character of Gandalf in relation to the PhD journey?

Gandalf, as a wise and experienced wizard, serves as a mentor and guide for Frodo on his quest. Similarly, a PhD student may seek guidance and advice from their academic advisor, who has been through the process before and can offer valuable insights and support.