Looking for advice on Research Physics Departments

In summary: The Niels Bohr Institute (Denmark): This institute specializes in research related to black hole physics and quantum gravity. In summary, there are many top research departments and groups in Europe, the UK, and North America that focus on black hole physics, making them great options for anyone looking to pursue a PhD in this field.
The Moon Gauge
Hi, I am planning to apply for a PhD in Theoretical Physics. One of my main topic of interest is black holes physics. Would you please be able to advise on the main/ the best/most relevant theoretical physics research departments/groups who have expertise in this field. I am currently looking for a place in Europe & UK mainly. Perhaps North America as well if they are willing to do Covid-19 friendly online PhD :) Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
In Europe and the UK, there are many excellent research departments and groups that specialize in black hole physics. Here are some of the most renowned:1. University of Cambridge (UK): The Centre for Theoretical Cosmology is one of the leading centers in the world for research into black holes.2. Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics (Germany): This institute specializes in research related to black hole physics and general relativity.3. Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics (Canada): This institute specializes in research related to black hole physics, as well as other areas of theoretical physics.4. Institute for Theoretical Physics at Amsterdam (Netherlands): This institute specializes in research related to black hole physics and quantum gravity.5. Institut d'Astrophysique de Paris (France): This institute specializes in research related to black hole physics and cosmology.6. Institute of Space Science (Spain): This institute specializes in research related to black hole physics and astrophysics.7. Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics (USA): This institute specializes in research related to black hole physics, quantum gravity, and cosmology.8. Institute of Astronomy (UK): This institute specializes in research related to black hole physics and astrophysics.

Related to Looking for advice on Research Physics Departments

1. What should I consider when choosing a research physics department?

When choosing a research physics department, you should consider the faculty, research opportunities, funding and resources, location, and overall reputation of the department. It is important to find a department that aligns with your research interests and has a strong track record of producing successful researchers.

2. How can I find information about a specific research physics department?

You can find information about a specific research physics department by visiting their website, attending virtual or in-person information sessions, talking to current or former students, and reading publications or research papers from the department's faculty.

3. What type of research opportunities are available in research physics departments?

Research opportunities in physics departments can vary, but most departments offer opportunities for both theoretical and experimental research in various subfields of physics. Some departments may also have collaborations with other departments or institutions, providing even more diverse research opportunities.

4. How can I secure funding for my research in a physics department?

There are various ways to secure funding for research in a physics department. Many departments offer funding through teaching or research assistantships, fellowships, and grants. It is also possible to secure external funding through organizations like the National Science Foundation or the Department of Energy.

5. What can I expect from the faculty in a research physics department?

The faculty in a research physics department are experts in their respective fields and are dedicated to advancing knowledge in physics. They will provide guidance and mentorship for your research projects and can also offer valuable insights and advice for your academic and career goals. It is important to establish a good relationship with your faculty mentors in order to succeed in a research physics department.