Looking for a career change, unsure on how to proceed

In summary, if you want to work in the astrophysics field, you should get a degree in physics and then specialize in astrophysics later. You may be able to take night classes to get your undergrad, but you'll most likely need to do further schooling if you want to continue on to grad school.
dbush2765
So I should start off by saying that I love physics and astronomy. I would absolutely love to work in the astrophysics field. Unfortunately, I didn't realize how much I liked it until after I had gotten out of college.

When I graduated high school, money was extremely tight, so I wasn't able to go to a university. I ended up going to and graduating from Ranken Technical College, with an associate's degree in control systems technology. Basically, it's a degree in the maintenance and creation of industrial automation systems. After graduating, I got a job outside of that field as a database administrator for a marketing company, which is where I'm still at today.

I'm wanting to go back to school. Possibly switch careers. It looks like my current associate's will transfer in and allow me to only have to take my core classes, which will be great. If I want to get into astrophysics, should I go ahead and major in that, or would it be better to get a BS in physics and then specialize in astrophysics later?

Also, how far could I realistically take this? I can take night classes to get my undergrad, no problem. I don't really have the option to pick and choose my undergrad school though, due to having to keep working full time here (I'll be going to University of St. Louis, in Missouri). I'm also not sure how, if it can even be done, I'd be able to get into/fit in grad school later on.

Any advice for a career change like this? It's just all very overwhelming right now.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with a bachelors in physics and take classes in astronomy, math, and computer science. Don't expect many of the technical courses you took to help; you're probably still looking at 3-4 years for a bachelors degree if you enroll as a full-time student. Most of the classes you need, especially after the first year, will not be offered as night classes. Most schools only offer advanced physics classes at one time, and that's when you take it. They don't have enough majors to offer them more often, so you'll be taking classes during the day. St. Louis is fine; they've got astronomers there. If you do decide to go on to grad school after college, that's another 4-8 years for a PhD.

Well, if I end up needing to take some classes during the day later on, I might be alright. Since I work with a cloud-based system at my job, I can always work from home on those days if I really need to.

Related to Looking for a career change, unsure on how to proceed

What are the first steps to take when looking for a career change?

The first step is to assess your current skills, interests, and values to determine what type of career you would like to pursue. You can also research different industries and job roles to see what aligns with your goals. Networking and informational interviews can also be helpful in gaining insight into a new career path.

Is it important to have a specific career in mind before making a change?

While having a specific career in mind can be helpful, it is not necessary. It is important to have a general idea of what you are looking for in a new career, but it is also okay to explore different options and see what interests you the most.

What are some resources for finding a new career?

There are many resources available for finding a new career, including job search websites, career counseling services, and professional networking groups. You can also reach out to your personal and professional network for recommendations and job leads.

Should I consider going back to school for a career change?

Going back to school can be a helpful option for making a career change, as it can provide you with new skills and knowledge. However, it is important to consider the cost and time commitment involved in pursuing a new degree. You may also want to explore certificate programs or online courses as alternatives.

How do I make a smooth transition to a new career?

To make a smooth transition to a new career, it is important to prepare yourself by gaining any necessary skills or qualifications, networking with professionals in your desired field, and being open to learning and adapting to a new environment. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a career coach or mentor throughout the transition process.