List of schools based on undergraduate research?

In summary, the individual is interested in pursuing a PhD in Condensed Matter Experimentation but their current school does not offer enough research opportunities in this field. They are considering transferring to a school with more research opportunities, such as Clemson University, but are concerned about the limited course offerings in advanced physics subjects. They are also questioning the value of taking graduate level courses as an undergraduate in order to be more competitive for grad school. The expert advises focusing on mastering the standard undergraduate curriculum and gaining research experience instead.
PhizKid
My school doesn't have any faculty involved in Condensed Matter Experimentation, and that's what I want to get my PhD in, so I'd like to transfer to a school that offers plenty of research opportunity in this field, instead of just having 1 summer of research experience at an external lab (I heard it's very difficult to get a second REU if you've already done one). I'd rather prefer to have 3-4 semesters worth of school research and 1 REU, even if I did have a guarantee for 2 summer REUs at very nice labs.

Is there a list of undergraduate schools that have repute for their undergread research opportunities in Condensed Matter experiments?

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that Clemson University has a great condensed matter research program and a strong track record of involving undergraduates in their research.

The downside of Clemson seems to be their limited number of courses...they don't seem to offer any advanced physics courses beyond the typical Physics curriculum such as Quantum Field Theory. I can't find it in their graduate catalog, either.

You won't be taking those classes as an undergraduate anyways.

I'd like to, because a lot of other undergraduates are taking them as competitors for grad school.

QFT is not an undergraduate course. Very few undergrads will take any graduate level courses while in college. You're better off spending your time getting research experience.

Why can't I do both? I really don't want to fall behind the kids doing the same..

Also, from what I've seen, doing the first REU makes getting a second one easier, not harder.

PhizKid said:
Why can't I do both? I really don't want to fall behind the kids doing the same..

Then buy a textbook on QFT.

I'm not so sure why you want to rush into taking QFT as an undergrad if you're interested in CME. I understand you think it will make you more "competitive," but you need to think about this in a different way. As a CM experimentalist the amount of QFT you will need to know will not be high, especially not right away. You're much better off mastering the standard undergraduate curriculum (1 year of quantum, 1 year of electrodynamics, 1 year of classical, stat mech, optics) and a few other supplementary course (extra topics like AMO, Condensed Matter, etc) at an upper level undergraduate level. You will also be made immensely more competitive by spending more time doing quality research, not in courses. Keep in mind, in my graduate program QFT is taken by second years, AFTER Sakurai QM, Jackson EM, and a math methods course taught at a pretty high level.

Related to List of schools based on undergraduate research?

1. What is the purpose of a list of schools based on undergraduate research?

A list of schools based on undergraduate research serves as a resource for students who are interested in pursuing research opportunities during their undergraduate studies. It can help students identify schools that prioritize and have a strong culture of undergraduate research, allowing them to make informed decisions about where to apply.

2. How is the list of schools based on undergraduate research created?

The list is typically created through a combination of data analysis and surveys. Data from sources such as the National Science Foundation and the Council on Undergraduate Research is used to identify schools with a high volume of research activity. Surveys are also sent to universities to gather information on their undergraduate research programs and opportunities.

3. What criteria are used to determine which schools make the list?

The criteria for inclusion on the list may vary, but some common factors include the number of undergraduate research opportunities available, the amount of funding and resources dedicated to undergraduate research, the publication and presentation opportunities for students, and the support and mentorship provided by faculty.

4. Is the list of schools based on undergraduate research comprehensive?

No, the list is not comprehensive as it may not include every school that offers undergraduate research opportunities. However, it does provide a good starting point for students to explore potential schools and research programs.

5. How can students use the list of schools based on undergraduate research to their advantage?

Students can use the list to identify potential schools that align with their research interests and goals. They can then further research these schools to learn more about the specific research opportunities and programs available. Additionally, the list can serve as a guide for students to ask relevant questions during the application and admissions process.