Linear Algebra scholarship exam

In summary, the conversation is about a linear algebra scholarship question that asks to show that the determinant of a matrix A is equal to either +1 or -1, given that both A and its inverse have integer entries. The person asking for help is unsure of how to approach the problem, but eventually realizes that by using cofactor expansion and the fact that all entries of A are integers, they can show that det(A) must be either +1 or -1.
Maybe_Memorie

Homework Statement

This is one of the three linear algebra scholarship questions given by my university last year. I've solved the other two, but this one is posing a bit of a problem. Question 1 on the file.

Given that for a nxn matrix A both matricies A and A-1 have integer entries, show that det(A) = +-1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm completely lost. I have a feeling co-factor expansion isn't the way to go, as that would be very messy, and the other two worked out fairly nicely when you know what you're doing.

Attachments

• 3042.pdf
    102.9 KB · Views: 206
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show that det(A) and det(A-1) are integers??

I can reason it now, but not really mathematically show it.
All the entries of A are integers. So by cofactor expansion for det(A) along the first row every part will be a product of integers, so an integer. Same reasoning for det(A-1)

But det(A-1) = det(A)-1

So, an integer = 1/that integer, so det(A) =1

Maybe_Memorie said:
so det(A) =1

or -1.

That is indeed the correct reasoning!

I can't edit for some reason, but I meant +-1

Related to Linear Algebra scholarship exam

1. What is the purpose of a Linear Algebra scholarship exam?

The purpose of a Linear Algebra scholarship exam is to assess the mathematical skills and knowledge of students in the field of linear algebra. It is used to determine eligibility for scholarships and other academic opportunities.

2. What topics are typically covered in a Linear Algebra scholarship exam?

Topics that are typically covered in a Linear Algebra scholarship exam include systems of linear equations, matrix operations, vector spaces, linear transformations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and diagonalization.

3. How should I prepare for a Linear Algebra scholarship exam?

To prepare for a Linear Algebra scholarship exam, it is important to review all relevant topics and practice solving problems. It may also be helpful to seek out study resources such as textbooks, practice exams, and online tutorials.

4. Are calculators allowed during a Linear Algebra scholarship exam?

This may vary depending on the specific exam and institution. Some exams may allow the use of a calculator, while others may not. It is important to check with the exam guidelines beforehand to ensure you are prepared.

5. How much time is typically given for a Linear Algebra scholarship exam?

The amount of time given for a Linear Algebra scholarship exam can vary, but it is usually around 2-3 hours. It is important to manage your time effectively during the exam to ensure you have enough time to answer all questions.