Limit of a trigonometric function

In summary: You mentioned l'Hopital. It is so to say your attempt at solution. What is it and what does it yield here ?It yields the limit as x approaches 0 of: ##\lim_{n \rightarrow +0} \frac {8-9cos x+cos 3x} {sin^4}2x##.
chwala
Gold Member
Member warned that an attempt must be shown

Homework Statement

Mod note: Edited the following to fix the LaTeX[/B]
compute

##\lim_{n \rightarrow +0} \frac {8-9cos x+cos 3x} {sin^4(2x)}####\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \frac {\sin(x)} x##

##\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} \frac {\sin(x)} x##ok find limit as x→0 for the function ##[ 8-9cos x + cos 3x/{sin^4}2x]##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

use Lhopital rule...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:

Homework Statement

compute

$$\lim_{n \downarrow 0} {\frac {8-9cos x+cos 3x} {sin^4}2x}$$$$\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} {\frac {\sin(x)} x}$$

$$\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} {\frac {\sin(x)} x}$$[/B]ok find limit as x→0 for the function ##f(x) = 8-9cos x + cos 3x/{sin^4}(2x) ##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

use Lhopital rule...

Well, 2 and 3 look alike and don't need L'H rule. You can deal with those yourself, right ? If not, what's the problem ?
1 and 4 are one and the same too ?

BvU said:
Well, 2 and 3 look alike and don't need L'H rule. You can deal with those yourself, right ? If not, what's the problem ?
1 and 4 are one and the same too ?
sorry my interest is on 1 only...i was trying to post in latex form by using 2 and 3 as a hint...

No need to apologize, we just want to be clear on what we are looking at. So $$
\lim_{n \downarrow 0} {\frac {8-9cos x+cos 3x} {sin^4}(2x)} $$ is the right one ?

(as you see, it's easy to come to the wrong expression...)

ok find limit as x→0 for the function ##[ 8-9cos x + cos 3x/{sin^4}2x]##
note that 2x is on the denominator...wish i could post this using latex...

Now we are at $$
\lim_{n \downarrow 0} 8-9\; cos x+ { cos 3x \over sin^4 (2x)}
$$ which probably is not what your exercise intended.

o0)

not clear post in latex please

BvU said:
Now we are at $$\lim_{n \downarrow 0} 8-9\; cos x+ { cos 3x \over sin^4 (2x)} $$ which probably is not what your exercise intended.
I though I did post using LaTex ? What is it that is not clear ?

##sin^42x## is the common denominator to all those terms in numerator and not the way you have posted. It is post number 4 which is correct with the only amendment on the 2x, that should be on the denominator as ## sin^4.2x##

chwala said:
##sin^42x## is the common denominator to all those terms in numerator and not the way you have posted. It is post number 4 which is correct with the only amendment on the 2x, that should be on the denominator as ## sin^4.2x##

Well you have posted it without the nessecary brackets so he couldn't know. He just copies what you wrote in the first post.

Good. So we are at $$
\lim_{n \downarrow 0} \frac {8-9cos x+cos 3x} {sin^4(2x)}
$$
(the 2x in the wrong place was caused by me unintentionally ).

You mentioned l'Hopital. It is so to say your attempt at solution. What is it and what does it yield here ?

BvU said:
Good. So we are at $$
\lim_{n \downarrow 0} \frac {8-9cos x+cos 3x} {sin^4(2x)}
$$
(the 2x in the wrong place was caused by me unintentionally ).

You mentioned l'Hopital. It is so to say your attempt at solution. What is it and what does it yield here ?

I doubt that is the exercise though, since the limit does not depend on n, assuming that there is no correlation between n and x.

Most likely, it is: ##\lim_{x \downarrow 0} \frac {8-9cos x+cos 3x} {sin^4(2x)}##

Likes BvU
chwala said:
ok find limit as x→0 for the function ##[ 8-9cos x + cos 3x/{sin^4}2x]##
note that 2x is on the denominator...wish i could post this using latex...

It would be nice to post in LaTeX, but you can post clear and unambiguous questions simply by using parentheses properly! For example, here is your question in plain text, but using parentheses: (8 - 9 cos(x) + cos(3x))/sin^4(2x). Here is the same thing using in-line LaTeX: ##(8 - 9 \cos x + \cos 3x)/\sin^4(2x)##, and again using "displayed" |aTeX:
[tex] \frac{8 - 9 \cos x + \cos 3x}{\sin^4 2x} [/tex]
The first, plain-text version, is every bit as readable as the LaTeX versions, but of course it looks better. One advantage of the LaTeX versions is the need for fewer parentheses: ##\cos 3x## comes out perfectly clearly without the need for extra parentheses like ##\cos (3x)##. (However, I felt is necessary to use parentheses for clarity in ##\sin^4(2x)## in the in-line version but not in the displayed version.) They are all necessary in the plain text version, but you can sometimes make that easier to read by using different parenthesis style, as in [8 - 9 cos(x) + cos(3x)]/sin^4(2x).

Likes Merlin3189, micromass and BvU
Thanks sorry folks i have been on holiday...i will endeavour to look at this when i am free...

now using LHospital rule, we need to get the first derivative of
##\lim_{x \downarrow 0} \frac {8-9cos x+cos 3x} {sin^4(2x)}## because substituting 0 will give us an indeterminate form...on applying the rule i am getting:,
##\lim_{x \downarrow 0} \frac {9sin x-sin 3x} {8cos 2x.sin^3(2x)}## ok is this step correct?

chwala said:
now using LHospital rule, we need to get the first derivative of
## \displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0} \frac {8-9\cos x+\cos 3x} {\sin^4(2x)}## because substituting 0 will give us an indeterminate form...on applying the rule i am getting:,
## \displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0} \frac {9\sin x-\sin 3x} {8\cos 2x\cdot\sin^3(2x)}## ok is this step correct?
First of all, you are not taking the derivative of the overall expression. Rather you are taking the derivatives of the numerator and denominator respectively.

You also have a error in the derivative of the numerator.

SammyS said:
First of all, you are not taking the derivative of the overall expression. Rather you are taking the derivatives of the numerator and denominator respectively.

You also have a error in the derivative of the numerator.
but hospital rule says we take the derivatives indepedently i.e of the numerator and the denominator indepedently.Why should i take the derivative of the whole expression?

chwala said:
but hospital rule says we take the derivatives indepedently i.e of the numerator and the denominator indepedently.Why should i take the derivative of the whole expression?
Right ! You should not take the derivative of the whole expression. But that's actually what you said you did in post #15 .

I made a slight mistake...
If ## f(x)= 8-9cos 2x + cos 3x ⇒ df/dx = 9 sin x - 3 sin 3x ##
If ##g(x)= {(sin 2x)^4} ⇒ dg/dx = 8cos 2x{(sin 2x)^3} ##
and this is lhopital's rule what do you mean that i took derivative of whole expression?

chwala said:
If ## f(x)= 8-9cos 2x + cos 3x ⇒ df/dx = 9 sin x - 3 sin 3x ##
If ##g(x)= {(sin 2x)^4} ⇒ dg/dx = 8cos 2x{(sin 2x)^3} ##
and this is lhopital's rule what do you mean that i took derivative of whole expression?

He meant that you said in post #15 that you wanted to take the derivative of whole expression.

Math_QED said:
He meant that you said in post #15 that you wanted to take the derivative of whole expression.
ok are my derivatives in post 19correct?, if so how do i move from there...

You take the limit for ##x\downarrow 0## :smile: and see what comes out.

chwala said:
ok are my derivatives in post 19correct?, if so how do i move from there...
df/dx is wrong. Try to find the correct derivative of that function.

Likes BvU
Math_QED said:
##df/dx##? i don't understand...

f is short for numerator, like in: f/g.

BvU said:
You take the limit for ##x\downarrow 0## :smile: and see what comes out.
as x→0, we get 0, indeterminate form , meaning we should differentiate again?

Math_QED said:
posts 22 and 23 are contradicting...

No. I overlooked your error. MQ did not.

chwala said:
If ## f(x)= 8-9\cos 2x + \cos 3x ⇒ df/dx = 9 \sin x - 3 \sin 3x ##
If ##g(x)= {(\sin 2x)^4} ⇒ dg/dx = 8\cos 2x{(\sin 2x)^3} ##
As Math_QED state there is a (small) error in your expression for ##\ df/dx \ .\ ## Likely it's a typo.

It's complicated helping you. What you wrote was

If ##f(x)= 8-9\cos 2x + \cos 3x ⇒ df/dx = 9 \sin x - 3 sin 3x##

What you meant to write was $$f(x)= 8-9\cos x + \cos 3x ⇒ df/dx = 9 \sin x - 3 \sin 3x$$

Now you have the derivative for the numerator and the derivative for the denominator. Both go to 0 for ##\ x\downarrow 0\ ##, so you end up with '0/0' and you have to do it again - and again

Likes member 587159 and SammyS
BvU said:
It's complicated helping you. What you wrote was

If ##f(x)= 8-9\cos 2x + \cos 3x ⇒ df/dx = 9 \sin x - 3 sin 3x##

What you meant to write was $$f(x)= 8-9\cos x + \cos 3x ⇒ df/dx = 9 \sin x - 3 \sin 3x$$

Now you have the derivative for the numerator and the derivative for the denominator. Both go to 0 for ##\ x\downarrow 0\ ##, so you end up with '0/0' and you have to do it again - and again
hahahahahahahhahaha BVU sometimes the brain goes off yeah you get the indeterminate form 0/0, let's do it all over again...thanks

now if ## f'(x) = 9 sin x-3sin 3x## , → ## f''(x) = 9cos x -9 cos 3x##
and
## g'(x) = 8cos 2x(sin 2x)^3 ##, →##g''(x)= -16(sin 2x)^4 + 96 (sin 2x)^2 (cos 2x)^2##
is this correct? substituting limits will still give 0/0

Last edited:
That's why I added the ... and again ...
If you do it right, the sequence will come to a satisfying end, and then we will hand you a quasi-alternative approach that works a little faster (and marginally less error prone as well).

Likes chwala
BvU said:
If you do it right, the sequence will come to a satisfying end, and then we will hand you a quasi-alternative approach that works a little faster (and marginally less error prone as well).
BvU said:
is step 32 correct?

Haha, just suppose I am too lazy to check it :smile: and simply wait for the final answer - which I calculated yesterday on a piece of paper I accidentally discarded :rolleyes: , Carry on !

Likes chwala