Letters of recommendation from non-native English speakers (US schools)

In summary, when transferring from a community college to a 4-year college, it is important to consider the quality of the letter of recommendation. While it may be uncomfortable to ask for a proofread, it is important to ensure the letter is well-written in English to make a good impression on the admissions committee. If the recommender's English skills are not strong, it may negatively impact the application. However, if their publications are of a high standard, it may be enough to support the letter of recommendation.
PhizKid
When applying as a transfer to a 4-year college from community college, is there anything detrimental about this? I don't want to be insulting and ask him to get someone to proof read his letter of recommendation, but he's not exactly a Nobel laureate or NAS member so I'm afraid if his letter is not well written clearly in English, it might affect the admissions committee. Will it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any specific reason to expect bad english?
Anything good enough for a publication should be fine for a letter of recommendation, I think.

all his publications seem to be non-English as far as what's on his public resume. whenever we communicate via e-mail, his emails aren't very fluent and neither is his speech.

Related to Letters of recommendation from non-native English speakers (US schools)

1. What should I do if the non-native English speaker writing my letter of recommendation does not have a strong command of the language?

In this case, it would be best to politely ask the writer if they would feel comfortable having their letter reviewed by a native English speaker for grammar and clarity. This will ensure that the letter accurately reflects your qualifications and strengths.

2. Can letters of recommendation from non-native English speakers be submitted in a language other than English?

It is generally preferred that letters of recommendation be written in English, as this is the primary language used in US schools. However, if the writer is more comfortable writing in their native language, it is acceptable to have the letter translated by a certified translator and submitted along with the original letter.

3. Should I disclose that my letter of recommendation is written by a non-native English speaker?

It is not necessary to disclose this information, as long as the letter is well-written and reflects your qualifications and strengths. The admissions committee will not discriminate against a letter based on the writer's native language.

4. Is it better to have a letter of recommendation from a non-native English speaker who knows me well, or a native English speaker who may not know me as well?

It is always better to have a letter of recommendation from someone who knows you well, regardless of their native language. Admissions committees are looking for strong and personalized letters that speak to your character and abilities, rather than the language proficiency of the writer.

5. Will a letter of recommendation from a non-native English speaker hurt my chances of admission?

No, a letter of recommendation from a non-native English speaker will not hurt your chances of admission as long as it accurately reflects your qualifications and strengths. Admissions committees understand that not all letter writers will be native English speakers and will take this into consideration when reviewing your application.