Legendre Transformation of the Hamiltonian

In summary, the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian are related through a Legendre transformation, but the Hamiltonian depends on different variables (momenta instead of velocities) and can have explicit time dependence.
Simfish
Gold Member
It's given as this

[tex]H\left(q_i,p_j,t\right) = \sum_m \dot{q}_m p_m - L(q_i,\dot q_j(q_h, p_k),t) \,.[/tex]

But if it's a Legendre transformation, then couldn't you also do this?

[tex]H\left(q_i,p_j,t\right) = \sum_m \dot{p}_m q_m - L(p_i,\dot p_j(p_h, q_k),t) \,.[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you can not.

Why not? Is it something we physically cannot do (perhaps due to our assumptions), or mathematically cannot do? The Wikipedia article for Legendre transformations only showed these transformations for functions with single-variable arguments, not multivariate arguments

If you have a function:

[tex]
z = f(x, y)
[/tex]

and the derivative of [itex]z[/itex] w.r.t. [itex]x[/itex] is denoted by:

[tex]
X(x, y) \equiv \frac{\partial z}{\partial x}
[/tex]

then, the function:

[tex]
w \equiv z - X \, x
[/tex]

is a Legendre transform of [itex]z[/itex], w.r.t. [itex]x[/itex] only! Its total differential is:

[tex]
dw = dz - X \, dx - x \, dX = X \, dx + \frac{\partial z}{\partial y} \, dy - X \, dx - x \, dX
[/tex]

[tex]
dw =\frac{\partial z}{\partial y} \, dy - x \, dX
[/tex]

i.e. w is to be treated as a function of X and y:

[tex]
\frac{\partial w}{\partial X} = -x, \ \frac{\partial w}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial z}{\partial y}
[/tex]

Of course, you need to eliminate [itex]x[/itex] from the equation:

[tex]
X = X(x, y) \Rightarrow x = f(X, y)
[/tex]

Notice that the variables w.r.t. which we have not performed a Legendre transform still remain arguments of the transforme dfunction.

Similarly, [itex]-H[/itex] is a Leg. trans. of [itex]L[/itex] w.r.t. [itex]\dot{q}[/itex] and the respective partial derivative:

[tex]
p \equiv \frac{\partial L(t, q, \dot{q})}{\partial \dot{q}}
[/tex]

is the generalized momentum. Therefore, [itex]H[/itex] is to be treated as a function of [itex]q[/itex] (a variable over which we had not performed a Legendre transform). [itex]p[/itex] (the derivative w.r.t. the variable that we had transformed, namely the generalized velocity) and, possibly time [itex]t[/itex] for open systems.

Oh okay I see. Thanks!

Simfish said:
[tex]
H\left(q_i,p_j,t\right) = \sum_m \dot{p}_m q_m - \mathbf{L(p_i,\dot p_j(p_h, q_k),t)} \,.
[/tex]

The bolded part does not make any sense at all because the Lagrangian is defined as a function of generalized coordinates, velocities and, possibly, time.

Of course the equation should read

[tex]H(q,p,t)=\sum_{m} p_m \dot{q}_m(q,p,t)-L[q,\dot{q}(q,p,t)].[/tex]

It is very important to remember that the Hamiltonian depends on position variables, canonical momenta and sometimes explicitly on time, while the Lagrangian depends on position variables, their time derivatives (generalized velocities) and (sometimes) explicitly on time.

Related to Legendre Transformation of the Hamiltonian

1. What is the Legendre Transformation of the Hamiltonian?

The Legendre Transformation of the Hamiltonian is a mathematical operation used in classical mechanics to convert the equations of motion from one set of variables to another. This transformation is commonly used to switch from the Lagrangian formalism to the Hamiltonian formalism.

2. Why is the Legendre Transformation of the Hamiltonian important?

The Legendre Transformation of the Hamiltonian is important because it allows us to express the equations of motion in terms of different variables, which can be more convenient or useful for solving certain problems. It also plays a crucial role in the development of Hamiltonian mechanics, which is a powerful theoretical framework for studying physical systems.

3. How is the Legendre Transformation of the Hamiltonian performed?

The Legendre Transformation of the Hamiltonian involves taking the partial derivative of the Hamiltonian with respect to a specific variable and then solving for its conjugate momentum. This process is repeated for each variable, resulting in a new set of equations that describe the system in terms of the conjugate momenta instead of the original variables.

4. What are the applications of the Legendre Transformation of the Hamiltonian?

The Legendre Transformation of the Hamiltonian has various applications in physics, including classical mechanics, thermodynamics, and statistical mechanics. It is also used in other fields such as economics and engineering to study systems with multiple variables and their corresponding conjugate momenta.

5. Are there any limitations to the Legendre Transformation of the Hamiltonian?

While the Legendre Transformation is a useful tool, it does have some limitations. It can only be applied to systems that have a well-defined Hamiltonian function, and it may not always result in a simpler set of equations. Additionally, the transformation is not always reversible, and care must be taken when interpreting the physical meaning of the new variables and equations.