The partial time derivative of Hamiltonian vs Lagrangian

In summary, the derivative of the Hamiltonian is not affected by the continuous parameter ##\lambda##.
erore
TL;DR Summary
Why does partial derivative of hamiltonian wrt time equal to minus partial derivative of Lagrangian wrt time?
I have been reading a book on classical theoretical physics and it claims:
--------------
If a Lagrange function depends on a continuous parameter ##\lambda##, then also the generalized momentum ##p_i = \frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot{q}_i}## depends on ##\lambda##, also the velocity ##\dot{q}_i=f_i(q_j,p_j,\lambda)## and so the Hamiltonian depends on ##\lambda##. If we calculate the derivative of Hamiltoniat wrt ##\lambda##:

$$ \frac{\partial H}{\partial \lambda}=\frac{\partial}{\partial{\lambda}}\left(\sum_j p_j f_j - L\right)=\sum_j p_j\frac{\partial f_j}{\partial\lambda}-\sum_j \frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot{q}_j}\frac{\partial f_j}{\partial\lambda}-\frac{\partial L}{\partial\lambda}= -\frac{\partial L}{\partial\lambda}$$

which if we put ##\lambda=t## gives:

$$\frac{\partial H}{\partial t}=-\frac{\partial L}{\partial t}$$
----------------

I wonder, why there are no ##\frac{\partial p_j}{\partial\lambda} f_j## terms?

Physics news on Phys.org
Partial derivatives are a little tricky to talk about, because you have to be absolutely clear about what are the independent variables. We are considering the following variables: ##q, \dot{q}, p, \lambda##. (I'm going to leave off the indices on the momenta, velocities and coordinates).

You can consider ##q, \dot{q}, \lambda## to be the independent variables, and then ##p## is a function of those, or you can consider ##q, p, \lambda## to be the independent variables, and then ##\dot{q}## is a function of those.

In thermodynamics, you have the same sort of options. You can consider volume and entropy to be independent, in which case temperature and pressure are functions of those, or you can consider temperature and pressure as independent, in which case volume and entropy are functions of those.

Borrowing notation from thermodynamics, we can write things this way:

##\frac{\partial H}{\partial \lambda}|_{q, p}##

This means the derivative of ##H## with respect to ##\lambda## holding ##q## and ##p## constant. Now, if we express the hamiltonian in terms of the Lagrangian:

##H = p \dot{q} - L##

If we now take a derivative with respect to ##\lambda##, we have:

##\frac{\partial H}{\partial \lambda}|_{q, p} = p \frac{\partial \dot{q}}{\partial \lambda}|_{q, p} - \frac{\partial L}{\partial \lambda}|_{q,p}##

There is no term involving ##\frac{\partial p}{\partial \lambda}## because we're holding ##p## constant.

Now, ##L## is an explicit function of ##q, \dot{q}## and ##\lambda##. So we can write:

##\frac{\partial L}{\partial \lambda}|_{q,p} = \frac{\partial L}{\partial q}|_{\dot{q}, \lambda} \frac{\partial q}{\partial \lambda}|_{q,p} + \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}}|_{q, \lambda} \frac{\partial \dot{q}}{\partial \lambda}|_{q,p} + \frac{\partial L}{\partial \lambda}|_{q, \dot{q}} ##

The first term on the right is 0, because if you hold ##q## constant, then ##\frac{\partial q}{\partial \lambda} = 0##

So we have:

##\frac{\partial H}{\partial \lambda}|_{q, p} = p \frac{\partial \dot{q}}{\partial \lambda}|_{q, p} - \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}}|_{q,\lambda} \frac{\partial \dot{q}}{\partial \lambda}|_{q,p} - \frac{\partial L}{\partial \lambda}_{q,\dot{q}}##

By definition: ##p = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}}|_{q, \lambda}##, so the first two terms cancel, leaving:

##\frac{\partial H}{\partial \lambda}|_{q, p} = - \frac{\partial L}{\partial \lambda}_{q,\dot{q}}##

• Informative
Likes vanhees71 and anorlunda
I'm not quite sure how you're applying the derivatives but we begin by taking the total derivative H using its definition:

\begin{equation*}
H=\sum_i\dot{q_i}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}} - L
\end{equation*}

When applying derivatives on the sum, product rule is used. On the L term, the multivariable chain rule applies so you get the following:

\begin{equation*}
\frac{dH}{dt}=\sum_i \left(\ddot{q_i}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}}+\dot{q_i}\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}}\right) - \left(\sum_i\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}} \ddot{q_i} + \frac{\partial L}{\partial q} \dot{q_i}\right) -\frac{\partial L}{\partial t}
\end{equation*}

The first from each sum are the same so they cancel. If the Euler-Lagarange equations hold then the second terms in each sum are also equal so they cancel are you are left with

\begin{equation*}
\frac{dH}{dt}= -\frac{\partial L}{\partial t}
\end{equation*}

Likes vanhees71

Related to The partial time derivative of Hamiltonian vs Lagrangian

1. What is the difference between the partial time derivative of Hamiltonian and Lagrangian?

The partial time derivative of Hamiltonian and Lagrangian are both mathematical expressions used in classical mechanics to describe the dynamics of a system. The main difference is that the Hamiltonian is a function of both position and momentum variables, while the Lagrangian is a function of only position and velocity variables.

2. How do the partial time derivatives of Hamiltonian and Lagrangian relate to each other?

The partial time derivative of Hamiltonian and Lagrangian are related through the Hamilton's equations of motion. These equations state that the partial time derivative of the Hamiltonian with respect to the momentum variable is equal to the negative of the partial time derivative of the Lagrangian with respect to the position variable.

3. What is the significance of the partial time derivative of Hamiltonian and Lagrangian in classical mechanics?

The partial time derivative of Hamiltonian and Lagrangian are important in classical mechanics because they represent the rate of change of the system's energy and momentum, respectively. These derivatives are used to calculate the equations of motion for a system and predict its future behavior.

4. Can the partial time derivative of Hamiltonian and Lagrangian be used interchangeably?

No, the partial time derivative of Hamiltonian and Lagrangian cannot be used interchangeably. While they are mathematically related, they represent different physical quantities and have different applications in classical mechanics.

5. How do the partial time derivatives of Hamiltonian and Lagrangian differ in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the partial time derivatives of Hamiltonian and Lagrangian are replaced by the time evolution operator, which is a unitary operator that describes the evolution of a quantum system over time. The Hamiltonian and Lagrangian still play a role in determining the time evolution operator, but they are not directly used in the equations of motion as in classical mechanics.