Leaving with a phd program with masters, or drop out, in this context?

In summary: I need to talk to my advisor first. In summary, my advisor told me that the group is the most productive in the department and I might not be doing justice to myself careerwise by leaving it. However, he also said that there aren't a lot of courses aimed at theorists, and they learn stuff from independent study and through projects. He said that GTA assignments were over and my best bet would be to continue in this group for atleast a semester. I talked to the graduate advisor, and he pretty much confirmed this, telling me there weren't a lot of courses aimed at theorists, and they learn stuff from independent study and through projects. He said that if I graduated, then I also graduate with the group's presitge
liealgebra
I finished my undergrad last year and joined this phd program in fall. I passed the qualifiers in December, and over the two semesters, I have completed all the necessary phd courses, taking no master's courses. Early in the year, I was contacted by a Professor in hep-exp to try out his group, as the group was looking for students. When I talked to him, he said that he would pay me as a GRA in the summers, and at the end we would have an evaluation. If we mutually liked each other, then I would formally join the group for my thesis.

During the summers I worked on some project. My advisor was gone for almost the entire period, so I worked on some problem from another professor in the group. During the summer, I realized this was not what I really wanted to do. In hep-exp there is a heavy non-physical component that you must work through before getting to some interesting physics; comprising of programming among other things. I am actually quite proficient in programming, and I did the work i was assigned as they were paying me for it, but I decided I would not continue.

When my advisor came back, he gave me the feedback that the group was impressed by my progress, blah, blah... I told him that I would like to take more advanced courses and it would take some more time for me to decide. He was not really happy about the courses I had registered for, one in Differential Geometry in the Maths department, and another of independent study of Lie Algebras with a phenomenologist outside the group. As GRA I am constrained to taking specific courses whose relevance and importance he could justify to his funders. I thought this was fair, so I asked what possibilities were there to discontinue my funding from the group. He told me to talk to the Graduate Advisor to discuss this, saying that I could switch to theory which has more freedom in terms of courses, or get a GTA if possible, with no research commitments.

He warned me that job prospects for theorists were weak and the theoretical division of the department was not too strong or well funded either. Basically, he painted a bleak picture of the whole idea. He also said that all theorists in the department were phenomenologists, so the interests I described to him might not really be supported in the department. So I talked to the graduate advisor, and he pretty much confirmed this, telling me there weren't a lot of courses aimed at theorists, and they learn stuff from independent study and through projects. He said that GTA assignments were over and my best bet would be to continue in this group for atleast a semester. He urged me try it out, saying, maybe I might come to like it after all.

I have put a lot of thought into this. The reality is this place might not offer what I want. I have decided it is best to leave. As I cannot pay out of my own pocket for the courses, being an international student, my options are either to drop out, or leave with the master's degree. If I drop out of a Phd program, I guess my career as a physicist would basically be over. How should I convince my department that I wish to leave with a Master's?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would like to add, concisely, that my advisor stated that I could not find much in the department outside the group. He said his group was the most productive in the department and I might not be doing justice to myself careerwise by leaving it.

1. I get a better salary, as the group is most funded.

I really don't care about this.

2. I get to work full time in a national lab, and an international lab (the most obvious one), for about two years. This is supposed to add to my resume and hirability.

However, this work would involve shifts in detector operation. I have no interest in this.

3. This was the most productive and well known group. Not much else might be offered to me in comparision. Two people are really well known in their fields (one of them is my advisor) If I graduate, then I also graduate with the group's presitge and contacts.

This really doesn't make sense if the job doesn't interest me. Infact, this is the very reason I call it a job. I was recruited by a bank and left that for this as I didn't like the job. The reason I came to academia is to do what I liked.

The more I think about it, the more resolute I am to leave. But how should I handle this in order to not make any enemies and get decent recommendations.

if I were you, I would explain my adviser and graduate adviser the situation - that I want to be a theorist but there are no Professors doing what I want in our Department. And ask for the best option for me which could be:

1) try to find adviser from another University and continue studies here. (I know at least two cases when people do that. My current adviser told me he had a graduate student from another University)
2) leave with master's degree and apply another graduate program with appropriate research group
3) try to make a transfer to another PhD program with appropriate research group

and, of course, start to search for Professor with appropriate research tasks right away
2)

Related to Leaving with a phd program with masters, or drop out, in this context?

1. What are the benefits of leaving a PhD program with a Master's degree?

Leaving a PhD program with a Master's degree can provide several benefits, including:

• Having a higher level of education and qualification than a Bachelor's degree
  • Being able to enter the workforce or pursue other opportunities sooner than if you continued with the PhD program
  • Having a more focused and specialized area of expertise
  • Having a Master's degree can open up more job opportunities and potentially lead to a higher salary
  • Having the option to continue your education at a later time if desired

2. Is it common for students to drop out of a PhD program?

Yes, it is not uncommon for students to drop out of a PhD program. The reasons for dropping out can vary, but some common reasons include financial difficulties, personal reasons, and a change in career goals or interests.

3. Can I transfer my credits from a PhD program to a Master's program?

In most cases, it is possible to transfer some or all of your credits from a PhD program to a Master's program. However, this will depend on the specific requirements and policies of the universities involved. It is important to consult with your academic advisor and the admissions office of the Master's program you are interested in to determine if credit transfer is possible.

4. Will leaving a PhD program with a Master's degree affect my future career prospects?

This will depend on your specific field and career goals. In some industries, having a Master's degree may be sufficient for certain positions, while in others a PhD may be preferred. It is important to research the job market and the requirements for the career you are interested in to determine if a Master's degree will be enough or if a PhD is necessary.

5. How can I make the decision between leaving with a Master's degree or dropping out of a PhD program?

This is a personal decision that will depend on your individual circumstances. Some factors to consider include your career goals, financial situation, personal interests, and the support and resources available to you. It is important to carefully weigh the pros and cons and consult with your academic advisor and mentors before making a decision.