Learn How to Study Physics: Tips & Advice

In summary, to be a great summarizer, you should:1) Learn math2) Take textbooks that have problems to solve3) Solve the problems4) Continue on to more advanced topics5) Branch out6) Have an inquisitive mind
rahaverhma
I have taken a new course in physics I am interested in knowing things and facts.
I know one thing about the mathematical interpretations of physics. Other is the philosophy part.
So, please elaborate me about it and if there are any ways concerning the study of physics .i.e.At very advanced level which undergraduates do not know because of lack of experience. Also tell me about it.
Concluding, I will say that just tell me everything about the study of physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think to summarize the way I've studied physics so far, I'd say there's two main things to take into account:
  1. Read a lot
  2. Do a lot of problems

Likes TJGilb
Ask a Nobel prize winner ...

To be sure: there's a lot more physics in the world than theoretical physics !

1) Learn as much math as you can. It should be like a native language to you.

2) Read textbooks. Not those designed for laymen, but mathematically based ones that have problems to solve. Start with the classical basics (thermodynamics, classical mechanics, classical electromagnetism).

2b) Solve the problems in those textbooks. As many as possible until you understand the concepts of the relevant material and how to apply them inherently.

3) Continue on to more advanced topics that build on the prior foundations.

4) Branch out. Don't stay within your physics bubble, get a broad understanding of a lot of fields both scientific and otherwise. People who stay razor focused on one thing tend to think too narrowly as well.

5) Have an inquisitive mind that asks the right questions and wants to find out the answers.

Likes JoePhysics
I graduated first in my class at LSU in 1989, summa cum laude with a Bachelor of Science degree in Physics.

It is normal to forget without constant use or some kind of reminder. Our minds are fallen, and without constant use and reminding, skills and information quickly become rusty and decay.

In my college days, I used layered techniques to help put things more reliably into long term memory. The curriculum and assessment methods of my professors were also structured to help that.

I took careful notes in every class. Since these notes tended to be messy and disorganized, I recopied a more organized and neat version of the notes shortly after every lecture while the lecture was fresh in my mind. Every day, every class, every year. Writing things down and then recopying them is a great memory tool.

I worked every assigned homework problem. Since my original written solution was often messy and disorganized with erasures and less than a linear progression (blind alleys and so on), I recopied my solution very neatly before turning in the problem set. Preparing a neat copy of every problem before turning them in had the effect of better cementing the solutions in my memory.

As each test neared, I re-read the material in the book, reviewed my notes, and selected a subset of the assigned homework to re-work in preparation for the test. About half my time in test preparation was dedicated to reworking homework problems (without looking at original solutions) as practice to recall how to do them.

As the final exam neared, I began my preparation about a week or two beforehand. I would re-read the most challenging chapters, re-work all the test problems I had missed, pick new problems from the test to work, and prepare for myself a “practice final exam” from which I drew about twice as many book problems as problems on most tests, put myself under time pressure and the authorized resources of the real exam, and did the best I could. After the allotted time was over, I spent as much time as needed to work each problem correctly (visiting professors during office hours as needed), and assessed how prepared I was by how I did under pressure of time and authorized resources.

On the whole, my preparation required 2-3 hours of real hard work for each hour I spent in class. Most of that time was spent with my pencil moving and my mind fully engaged. No mind wandering. No distractions. No Facebook, phone, or TV. In total, college was a 60 hour per week full time job for a 14-16 credit hour course load. The reward: I graduated first in my class, summa cum laude, with a 3.95 GPA and admission and fellowship offers to MIT, Standford, Princeton, and Stonybrook for graduate school. I was done washing dishes in seedy New Orleans restaurants and flipping burgers in fast food joints.

Subsequent courses tended to reinforce pre-requisite material from earlier courses through practice and repetition in the assigned homework. It was my Calc 1 course where I practiced enough algebra to finally have those techniques cemented into long term memory along with really understanding what a function is. Calc 3 finally cemented many ideas and techniques of Calc 1 and Calc 2. The upper level E&M sequence cemented many ideas from 2nd semester freshman Physics, and so on.

Still, when I got to MIT (graduate school) I spent most of my first year re-taking key undergraduate courses, including Mechanics, E&M, Statistical Mechanics, and Quantum Mechanics. Forgetting is normal. Mastery and longer term learning requires repetition.

Likes BvU and JoePhysics
TJGilb said:
1) Learn as much math as you can. It should be like a native language to you.
4) Branch out. Don't stay within your physics bubble, get a broad understanding of a lot of fields both scientific and otherwise. People who stay razor focused on one thing tend to think too narrowly as well.

Very important, these ones.

Related to Learn How to Study Physics: Tips & Advice

1. How can I improve my understanding of complex physics concepts?

Improving your understanding of complex physics concepts requires active learning and practice. Start by breaking down the concept into smaller, more manageable parts and try to understand the fundamental principles behind it. Then, work through practice problems and seek help from your teacher or peers if necessary. It is also helpful to make connections between different concepts and to visualize them using diagrams or real-life examples.

2. What study techniques are most effective for learning physics?

Some effective study techniques for learning physics include active learning methods such as practicing problems, teaching the material to someone else, and making flashcards or study guides. It is also important to review your notes regularly and to actively engage in class lectures and discussions. Additionally, seeking help from your teacher or a tutor can also be beneficial.

3. How can I manage my time effectively when studying physics?

To manage your time effectively when studying physics, it is important to create a study schedule and stick to it. Prioritize your study sessions by focusing on the most challenging topics first and setting realistic goals. Take breaks in between study sessions and avoid cramming the night before a test. It is also helpful to review material regularly instead of trying to learn everything at once.

4. How can I stay motivated while studying physics?

Finding motivation to study physics can be challenging, but it is essential for success. One way to stay motivated is to set realistic goals and celebrate small achievements. Also, remind yourself of the importance of understanding physics and how it relates to your future goals. Surround yourself with supportive peers and seek help when needed. Lastly, take breaks and don't be too hard on yourself if you make mistakes.

5. How can I use technology to enhance my physics studying?

Technology can be a useful tool for enhancing your physics studying. There are many online resources and apps available that offer practice problems, interactive simulations, and visual aids for better understanding complex concepts. You can also use technology to connect with other students or your teacher for additional help and support. However, make sure to use technology wisely and not rely on it completely for your studies.