Law school with a BA in physics?

In summary, the speaker is ending their Junior year of college and is panicking about choosing a grad school program. They originally wanted to go into physics research, but are now reconsidering due to their struggles with advanced concepts. They are also considering a career in patent law and are wondering about the timing and tips for taking the LSAT and GRE. A friend of theirs has recently completed their BA in physics and has been accepted to law school.
d3nat
Hi all :)

I'm ending my Junior year of college, and I'm starting to panic slightly on what to do for grad school. I know I definitely want to go because I don't want to just have my BA in physics, but I'm starting to become confused on what I want to do.

Originally, I went into physics thinking after I graduate from college I'll get into a good research grad program.
Now I'm beginning to think this might be a bad idea. The more upper level classes I take, the more I realize I don't think I have that 'intuition' that most physics majors seem to have. I still do well in the courses, but the more advanced concepts aren't coming easily. I'm worried that if I'm struggling now, I'll never make it in grad school. I have an internship this summer (REU) which should give me a better understanding of where I stand.

But the thing is, I'm starting to wonder if my love for physics is more of a hobby love than a career love.

Now onto my question.
Before I went into physics, I grew up thinking I'd go into law. But since there is such a surplus of lawyers, the economy isn't doing that great, and it's difficult to get a job in law, I had decided against it.

Now I'm reconsidering.

Last year at the US North-Eastern women undergraduate physics conference, a graduate student was talking about legal patenting.
I've done some light google searching on this, but is there anyone who could tell me what a career in this field would be like? What it entails and such.

Also, I think I'm just going to take the LSAT when I take the GRE. When should I take them? Is waiting until the August/September date too late? Any tips?

As always, thanks so much to anyone who takes their time to read and/or respond.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
d3nat said:
Hi all :)

I'm ending my Junior year of college, and I'm starting to panic slightly on what to do for grad school. I know I definitely want to go because I don't want to just have my BA in physics, but I'm starting to become confused on what I want to do.

Originally, I went into physics thinking after I graduate from college I'll get into a good research grad program.
Now I'm beginning to think this might be a bad idea. The more upper level classes I take, the more I realize I don't think I have that 'intuition' that most physics majors seem to have. I still do well in the courses, but the more advanced concepts aren't coming easily. I'm worried that if I'm struggling now, I'll never make it in grad school. I have an internship this summer (REU) which should give me a better understanding of where I stand.

But the thing is, I'm starting to wonder if my love for physics is more of a hobby love than a career love.

Now onto my question.
Before I went into physics, I grew up thinking I'd go into law. But since there is such a surplus of lawyers, the economy isn't doing that great, and it's difficult to get a job in law, I had decided against it.

Now I'm reconsidering.

Last year at the US North-Eastern women undergraduate physics conference, a graduate student was talking about legal patenting.
I've done some light google searching on this, but is there anyone who could tell me what a career in this field would be like? What it entails and such.

Also, I think I'm just going to take the LSAT when I take the GRE. When should I take them? Is waiting until the August/September date too late? Any tips?

As always, thanks so much to anyone who takes their time to read and/or respond.

A buddy of mine did this, finished his ba in physics and just got accepted to law school, I think he wants to either go into patent law or try to become a politician where he feels he could lobby to the importance of science education.

Related to Law school with a BA in physics?

1. Can I apply to law school with a BA in physics?

Yes, you can certainly apply to law school with a BA in physics. In fact, many law schools welcome applicants from diverse academic backgrounds, including those with a science degree. Admissions committees often value the critical thinking and analytical skills that physics majors possess, which can be highly relevant to the practice of law.

2. Will my physics background be beneficial in law school?

Absolutely. While the subject matter may be different, the skills and ways of thinking that you have developed as a physics major can be highly transferable to the study of law. For example, your ability to analyze complex problems and think logically will be useful in legal reasoning and argumentation.

3. Do I need to have a strong background in humanities or social sciences to be successful in law school?

While it can certainly be helpful to have a well-rounded academic background, it is not a requirement for success in law school. Your BA in physics demonstrates that you have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, which are highly valued in the legal field. As long as you are willing to put in the effort to learn and adapt to the study of law, your physics degree can be a valuable asset.

4. How can I make a strong case for why law school is the right path for me with a BA in physics?

When applying to law school, it is important to clearly articulate your reasons for pursuing a legal education, regardless of your undergraduate major. As a physics major, you can highlight how your analytical and critical thinking skills have prepared you for the challenges of law school and how your background in science gives you a unique perspective on legal issues. You can also mention any relevant experiences or interests that have led you to pursue a career in law.

5. Are there any law school courses that would be particularly beneficial for someone with a BA in physics?

While there are no specific law school courses tailored for physics majors, there may be certain subjects that align with your interests and strengths. For example, intellectual property law may be of interest to someone with a background in physics, as it often involves complex scientific and technological concepts. However, it is ultimately up to you to choose courses that align with your career goals and academic strengths.