Lavoisier's Law of conservation of mass

In summary, the speaker is writing a short story about time travel and is looking for the original quote stating that mass and energy cannot be created or destroyed. They provide a French quote, "Rien ne se perd, rien ne se crée, tout se transforme," from Wikipedia and mention that similar ideas can be found in a 400-year-old chemistry textbook. The speaker also mentions that conservation laws may not apply to time travel and suggests incorporating the second law of thermodynamics for an interesting story.
JGHunter
Hi, I'm writing a short story which addresses an issue in time travel that I don't really see getting addressed, and I was wondering where I could find the original quote where it is written that mass or energy can neither be created nor destroyed? I'm aware the original won't be in English, I'll provide a translation underneath, but it will preface the story.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you! Which Wikipedia page did you find this on by the way?

One about a 400 year old chem textbook ; hang on... here.

JGHunter said:
I'm writing a short story which addresses an issue in time travel that I don't really see getting addressed, and I was wondering where I could find the original quote where it is written that mass or energy can neither be created nor destroyed?

Keep in mind that conservation laws are limited to isolated systems and a system that can be left or entered (e.g. with a time machine) is not really isolated. If you just define that time machines must comply with conservation laws than they need to transport all involved conserved quantities in equal amounts in both directions. That would be a strong limitation that could be quite interesting for the story. Including the second law of thermodynamics would make it even more challenging.

Likes Drakkith

Related to Lavoisier's Law of conservation of mass

What is Lavoisier's Law of conservation of mass?

Lavoisier's Law of conservation of mass states that matter cannot be created or destroyed, it can only change forms. This means that in a closed system, the total mass of the substances before a chemical reaction must equal the total mass of the substances after the reaction.

Who is Lavoisier and how did he discover this law?

Antoine Lavoisier was a French chemist who is known as the "father of modern chemistry". He discovered the Law of conservation of mass through his experiments on combustion and the role of oxygen in chemical reactions. His findings were published in his book "Elements of Chemistry" in 1789.

Why is Lavoisier's Law of conservation of mass important?

This law is important because it laid the foundation for the development of modern chemistry and helped scientists understand the fundamental principles of matter and its behavior. It also led to the development of the law of definite proportions and the law of multiple proportions.

How is Lavoisier's Law of conservation of mass applied in everyday life?

This law is applied in many industries, such as food production, pharmaceuticals, and environmental science. It is also used in everyday activities, such as cooking, where the mass of ingredients before and after cooking remains the same.

Are there any exceptions to Lavoisier's Law of conservation of mass?

In theory, this law holds true for all chemical reactions. However, in some cases, it may seem like mass is lost or gained due to factors such as evaporation, sublimation, or the release of gases. These exceptions can be explained by taking into account the mass of the substances involved in the reaction, including any reactants or products that may not be visible.