Lagrangian mechanics, Lagrange multiplier.

In summary, Lagrangian mechanics is a mathematical framework used to describe the motion of a system by considering the system's energy and constraints. It was developed by Joseph-Louis Lagrange in the late 1700s as an alternative to Newtonian mechanics. The Lagrange multiplier is a method used within Lagrangian mechanics to incorporate constraints into the equations of motion. It involves introducing an additional variable, the Lagrange multiplier, to account for any constraints present in the system. This allows for a more elegant and efficient way of solving complex physical problems involving multiple constraints.
jamie.j1989

Homework Statement

I've thought of a problem to help me with Lagrange multipliers but have got stuck.

Consider a particle of mass m moving on a surface described by the curve y = x2, the particle is released from rest at t = 0 and a position x = l. I'm trying to work out the EOM's but have got stuck.

Homework Equations

[itex]\grave{L}[/itex] = T - V - λ(y - x2)

T = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m([itex]\dot{x}[/itex]2+[itex]\dot{y}[/itex]2)

V = -mgy

The Attempt at a Solution

The Euler Lagrange equations give,

m[itex]\ddot{x}[/itex] = 2λx (1)

m[itex]\ddot{y}[/itex] = mg - λ (2)

attempt at solving for (1)

x = Asinh(kt) + Bcosh(kt)

which gives

k = [itex]\sqrt{\frac{2λ}{m}}[/itex]

initial conditions give A = 0, B = l

This is where I get confused, I don't understand how the solution is cosh, surely it would be sinusoidal? And I'm unsure how to solve for λ? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could also assume λ<0 and get some Asin(kt) + Bcos(kt) solution.
Then you can get y from the constraint and go on to find λ and finally get the frequency of oscillation.
Also check the direction of the y-axis: is V=+mgy or is V=-mgy ?

Last edited:
Hi. I've done that and got,

x = lcos(kt)
y = l2cos2(kt)

where k = [itex]\frac{2g}{1+4l^{2}}[/itex]

But when substituting [itex]\ddot{x}[/itex] and [itex]\ddot{y}[/itex] back into (1) and (2), I get two different values for λ

for (1)

λ = -[itex]\frac{mg}{1+4l^{2}}[/itex]

for (2)

λ = mg(1 - [itex]\frac{4l^{2}}{1+4l^{2}}[/itex]cos(kt))

I've placed my axis as y vertical, x horizontal, as the acceleration is in the negative y wouldn't V = -mgy?

I suggest you to cheat a little bit.
You could solve the same problem by the standard way: the Newton's equations and taking a reaction force perpendicular to the surface, but unknown.
In this way you will know the solution, and see where the problems come from.
In addition, you will see the relation between the Lagrange multipliers (method) and the reaction force.

(is y upward or downward ?)

y is in the up direction. When doing it by Newtons second law I get,

[itex]\ddot{x}[/itex] = -mgsin(θ)cos(θ)
= -mg[itex]\frac{2x}{1+4x^{2}}[/itex]

[itex]\ddot{y}[/itex] = -mgcos(θ)cos(θ)
= -mg[itex]\frac{1}{1+4y}[/itex]

Where mgcos(θ) is the reaction force and θ = arctan([itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex])

I then get for x and y

x = [itex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{4}(1-e^{-α})+l^{2}e^{-α}}[/itex]

y = [itex]\frac{1}{4}(1-e^{-α})+l^{2}e^{-α}[/itex]

where α = 2[itex]\frac{\dot{x}^{2}}{g}[/itex]

I'm not sure how to go further after that. Also when using the Lagrange multiplier I was trying to use the reaction force to solve for the initial conditions, should the reaction force come out naturally with the solution?

The potential seems to have the wrong sign. is Y downward?

no I've put y up, as a normal x,y plot of y = x^2, if g is pointing in the negative y, why is the potential the opposite sign?

jamie.j1989 said:
no I've put y up, as a normal x,y plot of y = x^2, if g is pointing in the negative y, why is the potential the opposite sign?

With y upward and gravity downward, it takes energy to bring a mass upward.
Therefore, the potential energy increases with y .

jamie.j1989 said:
When doing it by Newtons second law I get ...

The end-result is less interesting than the derivation, specially if you want some insight in the Lagrange method. Only your derivation can help in a discussion.
Also, your final result must be wrong, at least the dimensions are wrong.

Note: The constraint y=x² is dimensionally wrong too. This is really bad.

jamie.j1989 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

The Euler Lagrange equations give,

m[itex]\ddot{x}[/itex] = 2λx (1)

m[itex]\ddot{y}[/itex] = mg - λ (2)

As others have pointed out, the mg in (2) should have a negative sign. V = +mgy. When a mass is raised, its gravitational potential energy increases.

But, more importantly, you cannot assume λ is a constant. In general, λ is an unknown function of time. So, you have three unknown functions to determine: x(t), y(t), and λ(t). Your constraint equation y = x2 gives a third equation to work with.

The equations look to me to be very difficult to solve in general. But I think you could solve them approximately for small oscillations.

jamie.j1989 said:

Homework Equations

[itex]\grave{L}[/itex] = T - V - λ(y - x2)

T = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]m([itex]\dot{x}[/itex]2+[itex]\dot{y}[/itex]2)

V = -mgy

It seems to me you are mixing functionals and functions in your Lagrange multiplier. The problem your are solving is equivalent to extremizing

[itex]S[x(t),y(t)] = \int (T-V) dt[/itex]

under the condition that

[itex]F[x(t),y(t)] = \int (y - x^2) dt = C[/itex]

where C is a constant, not under the constraint that y = x2. In order to write down the equations of motion for the constrained system, all you have to do is to use the constraint to replace one of the degrees of freedom in the Lagrangian with the other and you end up with a system with one degree of freedom. Do this and fix your dimensions and you should be fine.

Orodruin said:
It seems to me you are mixing functionals and functions in your Lagrange multiplier. The problem your are solving is equivalent to extremizing

[itex]S[x(t),y(t)] = \int (T-V) dt[/itex]

under the condition that

[itex]F[x(t),y(t)] = \int (y - x^2) dt = C[/itex]

where C is a constant, not under the constraint that y = x2. In order to write down the equations of motion for the constrained system, all you have to do is to use the constraint to replace one of the degrees of freedom in the Lagrangian with the other and you end up with a system with one degree of freedom. Do this and fix your dimensions and you should be fine.

So I can't use λ(y-x2)? Would I fix the dimensions by just multiplying x2 by a constant with units m-1?

Concerning constrained motion treated by the Lagrange method, read this up to eq 720:

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/336k/Newtonhtml/node90.html

Go back to the Newtonian laws of motion.
The normal force that is explicitly used in the Newton eom, is related to that.Concerning the dimensions problem: just write y = a x², with a having the ad-hoc dimensions.
Alternatively, write y/yo = (x/xo)² .
Having dimensions is not only needed for correctness, but it is also helpful to detect mistakes.

So after comparing the two methods, I've concluded that λ is the vertical component of the reaction force. And after attempting the Lagrange multiplier method again I have

λ = [itex]\frac{mg}{1-4a^{2}l^{2}cos(αt)}[/itex]

where α is a function of λ in my solution to (1) x = lcos(αt). This seems sensible because when I substitute for t = 0 and x(t=0) = l

λ = [itex]\frac{mg}{1-4a^{2}l^{2}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{mg}{1-\grave{y}^{2}}[/itex] = mgcos2(θ) = Ncos(θ)

Where N is the reaction force. Can I determine the frequency of oscillation considering α = α(t)?

It is difficult to give you an answer.
Your derivation is missing and it is more important for the discussion that the end result.
You are right that λ is directly related to the reaction force.

You don't explain the meaning of a in the expression for λ .
Therefore, I cannot check your claim in the second equation in detail.

Missing your derivation, I cannot identify how you might derive the actual motion, or how you could determine α(t).
I am also a little bit puzzled that the derivative of α(t) doesn't appear anywhere in your post.
Are you sure you did all the calculations assuming α=α(t)?
Didn't you need to write a derivative of α(t) somewhere?
The second derivative you mentioned earlier (see below) should end up with derivatives of α(t) (which is = k?).
Isn't it?

jamie.j1989 said:
Hi. I've done that and got,

x = lcos(kt)
y = l2cos2(kt)

where k = [itex]\frac{2g}{1+4l^{2}}[/itex]

But when substituting [itex]\ddot{x}[/itex] and [itex]\ddot{y}[/itex] back into (1) and (2), I get two different values for λ

Ok, maybe this is the wrong place to ask this:
I've dealt with the Lagrangian before, but what's happening here seems different than what I did; so can someone explain, How is ##T - V - \lambda (y - x^2)## any different than ## T - V##, considering that y is defined:## y = x^2##, this seems to me what OP has is ##T - V - \lambda (y-y) = T - V##. I don't see how this is any more useful than the ##T - V## definition, also, OP went from hyperbolic functions to regular trig functions?
attempt at solving for (1)

##x = Asinh(kt) + Bcosh(kt)##
to
##x = lcos(kt)##

Or is that a typo? Just trying to follow along here.

A brief discussion of this example is here.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Ok, maybe this is the wrong place to ask this:
I've dealt with the Lagrangian before, but what's happening here seems different than what I did; so can someone explain, How is ##T - V - \lambda (y - x^2)## any different than ## T - V##, considering that y is defined:## y = x^2##, this seems to me what OP has is ##T - V - \lambda (y-y) = T - V##. I don't see how this is any more useful than the ##T - V## definition, also, OP went from hyperbolic functions to regular trig functions?

It turns out that adding ## \lambda (y - x^2)## to the Lagrangian allows you to formally treat x and y as independent variables even though they are not really independent. So, x and y can be treated on an equal footing after introducing the λ term. If you don't introduce the Lagrange multiplier term, then you would need to write the Lagrangian in terms of one independent variable in this problem (x or y). This is very easy to do for this problem since the constraint y = x2 is already solved for y! So, you can easily eliminate y from the Lagrangian and find the equation of motion for x without using a Lagrange multiplier.

But for a more complicated constraint equation, it might not be easy to solve the constraint explicitly for one of the variables. If you use the Lagrange multiplier method, you don't need to bother to do this. Also, it turns out that the the Lagrange multiplier λ is closely related to the force of constraint. So, if you are interested in the forces of constraint, the Lagrange multiplier method can be helpful.

I think I see what you're saying. So is that term intended to be implicitly 0?

Well, it's zero whenever x and y satisfy the constraint. But when you modify the Lagrangian with the multiplier term, x and y are to be thought of as independent and therefore not necessarily satisfying the constraint ab initio. The multiplier λ is also treated as an independent variable in the Lagrangian and Lagrange's equation for λ is just the constraint equation. So, x and y end up having to satisfy the constraint! It's kind of weird, but it works.

Related to Lagrangian mechanics, Lagrange multiplier.

1. What is the concept of Lagrangian mechanics and how is it different from Newtonian mechanics?

Lagrangian mechanics is a mathematical framework for analyzing the motion of particles or systems of particles. It was developed by Joseph-Louis Lagrange in the late 18th century as an alternative to Newtonian mechanics. Unlike Newtonian mechanics, which is based on the concept of forces and their effects on objects, Lagrangian mechanics is based on the principle of least action, which states that the motion of a particle is determined by minimizing the action along its path.

2. What is the Lagrange multiplier and what is its role in Lagrangian mechanics?

The Lagrange multiplier is a mathematical technique used in Lagrangian mechanics to find the maximum or minimum value of a function subject to one or more constraints. It involves using a multiplier, also known as a Lagrange multiplier, to incorporate the constraints into the function and then finding the critical points of the new function. The Lagrange multiplier allows for a more efficient and elegant solution to constrained optimization problems.

3. How is the Lagrangian function derived in Lagrangian mechanics?

The Lagrangian function is derived by taking the difference between the kinetic energy and potential energy of a system, and then expressing it in terms of the generalized coordinates and their time derivatives. The generalized coordinates are variables that describe the configuration of a system, and their time derivatives represent the velocities of the system. By taking the derivative of the Lagrangian function with respect to these variables and setting it equal to the equations of motion, the behavior of the system can be determined.

4. Can Lagrangian mechanics be applied to systems with multiple particles and complex constraints?

Yes, Lagrangian mechanics can be applied to systems with multiple particles and complex constraints. In fact, it is often used to analyze the motion of systems with many degrees of freedom, such as orbiting bodies or vibrating molecules. The Lagrangian function is able to incorporate all of the constraints and variables of a system, making it a powerful tool for solving complex problems in physics and engineering.

5. What are the advantages of using Lagrangian mechanics over other methods of analyzing motion?

One of the main advantages of using Lagrangian mechanics is its ability to incorporate constraints into the analysis. This allows for a more efficient and elegant solution to problems that involve constraints. Additionally, Lagrangian mechanics is a more general approach than Newtonian mechanics, as it can be applied to a wider range of systems and problems. It also provides a deeper understanding of the underlying principles of motion and can lead to more insightful results.