Lagrangian classical action for particle with constant force

In summary: You could try looking into the subject, but it's definitely not something that can be solved in one short sentence or paragraph. Thanks for trying, though!
micole
Gold Member

Homework Statement

for particle with lagrangian L = m/2 dx/dt^2 + fx where x is constant force, what is ScL (classical action)

Homework Equations

d/dt (∂L/∂(dx/dt)) = ∂L/∂x
ScL = ∫m/2 dx/dt^2 + fx dt from ti to tf

The Attempt at a Solution

d/dt (∂L/∂(dx/dt)) = ∂L/∂x implies f = md2x/dt2 (f = ma)

on aside, from this you can calculate the familiar equations
dx/dt (t) = f/m(t) + dx/dt(0) or v(t) = at + v0
x(t) = 1/2 f/m t^2 + dx/dt(0) t + x(0)

Question: is it helpful to define ti as zero so Xi = x(ti) = X(0) = 0? And if I do this, is my
solution generalizable? I think yes

Scl = ∫m/2 dx/dt^2 + fx dt
for ∫m/2 dx/dt^2 I integrate by parts with
u =dx/dt --> du = (d2x/dt2) dt
and
dv = dx/dt dt --> v = x

Scl = m/2 (dx/dt)(x) from ti to tf -m/2∫fx dt + ∫fx dt
Scl = m/2 {(xf )(f/m tf +dx/dt(0)) - xi(f/m ti + dx/dt(0))} + m/2 ∫fx dt
where xi(f/m ti + dx/dt(0)) goes away if its okay to set xi = x(0) = 0

so potentially I am left with
Scl = m/2 (xf )(f/m tf +dx/dt(0)) + fm/2 ∫x dt
I have X as a function of t so i can integrate the right hand term ( ∫x dt) but I end up with a big equation that's a function with terms t^3/3 and many other terms. Most of the solutions to these problems have ended up simple and elegant so I am assuming I am either making an error or there is a slick math trick that simplifies by function of ti, tf and xf, xi into something lovely.
Thats the part i would like help on please

Thanks very much in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Someone please help (; 67 views and no replies! It's lonely

Well, the action is just the time integral of the Lagrangian over the time interval that is being considered:

##S=\int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}}L(t)dt=\int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}}\left[\frac{m}{2}\left(\frac{dx(t)}{dt}\right)^{2}+Fx(t)\right]dt##, where ##F## is the constant force.

As it's basic physics that the trajectory of the particle is ##x(t)=x_{0}+v_{0}t+\frac{F}{2m}t^{2}##, it's easy to calculate the integral provided that the force ##F##, the initial position and velocity ##x_{0},v_{0}## and the time interval ##[t_{1},t_{2}]## are known.

Thanks hilbert. None of those are known. If you take a look at my work you see that what we are being asked is to simplify this integral from a long function of t (as you and I both indicate, it's basic physics to write x as a function of t) into a succinct statement. The point is not to substitute numbers (see final paragraph of my question)
Thanks for any help

And I see an error in my statement. The coefficient of integral of Fx is (2-m)/2, not m/2

micole said:
The coefficient of integral of Fx is (2-m)/2, not m/2

How is that possible? You are subtracting a dimensional quantity ##m## from a bare number ##2##.

micole said:
Thanks hilbert. None of those are known. If you take a look at my work you see that what we are being asked is to simplify this integral from a long function of t (as you and I both indicate, it's basic physics to write x as a function of t) into a succinct statement. The point is not to substitute numbers (see final paragraph of my question)
Thanks for any help

I'm not sure how the integral ##\int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}}\left[\frac{m}{2}\left(\frac{dx(t)}{dt}\right)^{2}+Fx(t)\right]dt## could be simplified without solving for ##x(t)## with the initial conditions ##x_{0}##, ##v_{0}## known. Integration by parts doesn't seem to help.

hilbert2 said:
How is that possible? You are subtracting a dimensional quantity ##m## from a bare number ##2##.

Oh correction it's 1/2integral Fx dt...I had already taken then m inside the integral to get F from m x d2x/dt^2...still same underlying question remains - how to simplify that result vs leave a function long of t

I'm not sure how the integral ##\int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}}\left[\frac{m}{2}\left(\frac{dx(t)}{dt}\right)^{2}+Fx(t)\right]dt## could be simplified without solving for ##x(t)## with the initial conditions ##x_{0}##, ##v_{0}## known. Integration by parts doesn't seem to help.
Me neither, exactly my question

Last edited:
micole said:

Homework Statement

for particle with lagrangian L = m/2 dx/dt^2 + fx where x is constant force, what is ScL (classical action)

Hi.
Is this the exact problem statement? It doesn't suggest that you should get a particularly succinct (or enlightening) result... You are given a specific potential, so you're indeed supposed to solve for x(t) in terms of a (= the constant acceleration f/m), v0 and x0, then integrate.
You can always make abbreviations like L[x(t0)] in your final result, but you'll always get something with at least four terms and no immediate connection to something familiar.

The thing is, this kind of Lagrangian is defined as L = T – V, where T and V are determined by your choice of coordinates; then it's the principle of least action that gives you the familiar equations of motion upon varying S and you would be going in circles by trying to get something edifying from S. It's just what it's supposed to be: its specific form may look uneventful but that's just how things are sometimes... :)

Likes 1 person

Related to Lagrangian classical action for particle with constant force

1. What is Lagrangian classical action for a particle with constant force?

The Lagrangian classical action for a particle with constant force is a mathematical expression that describes the motion of a particle under the influence of a constant force. It is derived from the principle of least action, which states that the path a particle takes between two points is the one that minimizes the action, a quantity that combines the kinetic and potential energies of the particle.

2. How is the Lagrangian classical action different from Newton's second law?

The Lagrangian classical action takes a more general approach to describing the motion of a particle, while Newton's second law specifically relates the forces acting on a particle to its acceleration. The Lagrangian classical action takes into account the entire path of the particle, rather than just its instantaneous state, and allows for more complex forces to be considered.

3. What are the advantages of using the Lagrangian classical action?

One advantage of using the Lagrangian classical action is that it allows for a more elegant and efficient approach to solving problems in classical mechanics. It also takes into account all forces acting on a particle, rather than just a single force, allowing for a more complete understanding of the system.

4. How is the Lagrangian classical action related to Hamilton's principle?

Hamilton's principle, also known as the principle of least action, is the basis for the Lagrangian classical action. The two are closely related, with Hamilton's principle being the more general form and the Lagrangian classical action being a specific application of it.

5. Can the Lagrangian classical action be used for particles with non-constant forces?

Yes, the Lagrangian classical action can be used for particles with non-constant forces. In fact, it is often used in more complex systems where the forces are not constant or are difficult to calculate using Newton's second law. This is one of the advantages of using the Lagrangian classical action over traditional approaches in classical mechanics.